The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nathan Oystrick has stepped down as Humboldt Broncos head coach.

"I have stepped away from the Humboldt Broncos. Despite the extreme stress and constant pressure of working with the organization, I gave them everything I possibly could am proud of their performance, and mine, this season.”

Can't blame the man for wanting a fresh start and he deserves a lot of credit for holding that team together in unprecedented adversity. I think only the survivors of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash can relate to the position this man was put in. Maybe the team will also benefit from a new voice. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, gurn said:

That quote could keep him out of the head coaching ranks for a bit.

This is a pretty short-sighted comment. If it were Travis Green stepping down from the Canucks because of pressure, sure, you would wonder if he was capable of handling head coaching duties. However, it is kind of stupid to think that the responsibility of coaching the Broncos is similar to any other head coach job. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

This is a pretty short-sighted comment. If it were Travis Green stepping down from the Canucks because of pressure, sure, you would wonder if he was capable of handling head coaching duties. However, it is kind of stupid to think that the responsibility of coaching the Broncos is similar to any other head coach job. 

Nope, the outgoing coaches statement is the one that is short sighted.

While I understand the stress this coach was under, there are old time Neanderthals in many  high ranking NHL jobs. Those types will consider this a huge sign of weakness.

Remember Bobby Clarke firing Roger Neilson, who had terminal cancer at the time, saying "He went all goofy on us"?

Hopefully   The CHL is a more understanding group.

Edited by gurn

• 2 weeks later...

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, the truck driver involved in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, has pled guilty to 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

Sentencing is scheduled for January 28th.

"His position to me was, 'I just want to plead guilty,'" said lawyer Mark Brayford. "Mr. Sidhu advised me, 'I don't want to make things any worse.'"

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Sentenced to 8 years.

Not enough IMO.

couldn't agree more. 

But the owners of the company who sent this idiot out with no training should be right in there with him. Until people at that level start paying the price too nothing will change. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Why? What would a longer sentence do?

help be a catalyst to make changes in the trucking industry. 8 years (which will in reality likely be much less) won't do much. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

couldn't agree more. 

But the owners of the company who sent this idiot out with no training should be right in there with him. Until people at that level start paying the price too nothing will change. 

Don't need much training to know you are supposed to stop at a stop sign.....

9 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Don't need much training to know you are supposed to stop at a stop sign.....

I was driving back from Manning Park on Wednesday, when a semi in front of me threw on his brakes and narrowly missed a truck (and going off the road) with a giant flashing "slow moving vehicles" sign on it. I passed the truck after, looked up and it was a young guy, and I'm guessing little to no training. He wasn't paying proper attention either. No big logo's on the truck or trailer so I'm guessing an independent or in-house driver. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was driving back from Manning Park on Wednesday, when a semi in front of me threw on his brakes and narrowly missed a truck (and going off the road) with a giant flashing "slow moving vehicles" sign on it. I passed the truck after, looked up and it was a young guy, and I'm guessing little to no training. He wasn't paying proper attention either. No big logo's on the truck or trailer so I'm guessing an independent or in-house driver. 

Driving is not safe anymore.........people taking liberties constantly as well as inexperience.  Glad you are ok.

I've become a paranoid driver as I don't trust other drivers.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

help be a catalyst to make changes in the trucking industry. 8 years (which will in reality likely be much less) won't do much. 

I was driving from Saskatoon to Prince Albert a few weeks ago and cannot image how some of these individuals stay alert driving their truck for a full shift. Changes definitely need to happen to keep people safe. But, why do we need a longer sentence to make those changes? Whether Sidhu received one, eight, or twenty-five years should not dictate whether important changes are/are not made in the trucking industry. 

The challenge I have, and I would be fully willing to change my opinion if I knew more about the perspectives of the victims and their families, is that I don't think any amount of punishment would ensure that Sidhu would not repeat the same act in the future. He seems extremely remorseful, faces deportation, and understands how serious his actions/inactions were. I don't think he needs to be put in prison to prevent him from committing this offense or similar offenses again. So, I just don't understand the value of punishing him. However, if the victims wanted some form of justice, and felt that a prison sentence would do it, then I would be a bit more understanding of the rationale of placing this person in jail. 

• Upvote 3