The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, riffraff said:

Good thing I'm not on twitter.

hope this "lady" gets lit up. She has no soul and it's obvious that public statements are not her strength.

on a happier note. I was helping my son with his paper route today and it was great to see so many sticks out.  Definitely keeps you thinking and opens your heart.

3 hours ago, TheAce said:

her facebook account took it pretty good..... and ofcourse she is playing the victim card now

Send her this story.  

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/algerian-military-plane-crashes-after-takeoff-killing-257/ar-AAvMjmk?ocid=spartanntp

257 dead, women and children, probably not very pale. Nothing to do with sport, people trying to live a better life in fact.  

I feel lucky we live in places like Canada (I'm in Australia). Food, a school for the overwhelming majority of kids, an economy where you can live a good life. Put your kids on a bus?  :(

Its still sad. Both stories. Very sad!  #alldeservecompassion  

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Send her this story.  

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/algerian-military-plane-crashes-after-takeoff-killing-257/ar-AAvMjmk?ocid=spartanntp

257 dead, women and children, probably not very pale. Nothing to do with sport, people trying to live a better life in fact.  

I feel lucky we live in places like Canada (I'm in Australia). Food, a school for the overwhelming majority of kids, an economy where you can live a good life. Put your kids on a bus?  :(

Not in the mood to battle someone like that.  Have to say I've really been thinking about this day to day since it happened.

drove roads around sask all year round for four years. Just a year ago.  Worked in stoon as well as some small towns.  Got to know families.  Still play hockey and always have.  I have three kids.  They have already travelled for sports.  So this tragedy has definitely got to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Not in the mood to battle someone like that.  Have to say I've really been thinking about this day to day since it happened.

drove roads around sask all year round for four years. Just a year ago.  Worked in stoon as well as some small towns.  Got to know families.  Still play hockey and always have.  I have three kids.  They have already travelled for sports.  So this tragedy has definitely got to me.

I apologize.  It was not the real intent to ask you to do so.  Just a point.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure why folks give people like her so much energy and attention. I really dislike twitter. 

I think it’s mostly about how insensitive she was in the timing of her tweet. At least for the more decent people who took offense. There’s a time and place and she missed the mark significantly. Systemic racism and sexism are definitely worth talking about. But not like this.

There have also been a lot of horrible responses from hatemongers looking for a target. People have threatened her life and that of her kids. She’s been subjected to some pretty vile antisemitic and misogynistic comments. And many of her attackers have no issue exploiting this tragedy for their own purposes.

It’s pretty ugly.

For me, this tweet sums up a lot of my feelings:

• Upvote 2

How about Jersey day ?

We could focus on the negative and the hate......not in a position to post pics at the moment but the " tweets " and social media posts of people in all walks of life bringing out their jerseys and wearing them is quite a statement in itself. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

How about Jersey day ?

We could focus on the negative and the hate......not in a position to post pics at the moment but the " tweets " and social media posts of people in all walks of life bringing out their jerseys and wearing them is quite a statement in itself. 

Yeah, it’s been great. Jersey day was in full effect at my kids’ school this morning. And lots of smiles and nods from folks passing on the sidewalk. Very positive way for people to express some of what they’re feeling.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Send her this story.  

Not to mention the 27 children who died in the bus crash in India. People like Nora are self-centered assholes who serve no purpose in society outside of doing there best to reek some demented ideal of social justice. Who cares what the gender/nationality of a victim of a vehicular crash is.

She's clearly never lost anyone in a tragic, horrifying and painful way.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to mention the 27 children who died in the bus crash in India. People like Nora are self-centered assholes who serve no purpose in society outside of doing there best to reek some demented ideal of social justice. Who cares what the gender/nationality of a victim of a vehicular crash is.

She's clearly never lost anyone in a tragic, horrifying and painful way.

With respect, that Nora woman was referring to the amount of money being donated from crowdfunding. So at least Demko got it right.

Are there crowdfunding projects for the 27 children in India, or the 257 plane crash victims?

Edited by Hugor Hill

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

With respect, that Nora woman was referring to the amount of money being donated from crowdfunding. So at least Demko got it right.

Are there crowdfunding projects for the 27 children in India, or the 257 plane crash victims?

It's quite clear what she was referring to, but she chose to use Twitter as a platform to make a social critique of the race and gender of the people who died in horrific ways, and how it played into the donations. She seemingly was looking to ham-fistedly chastise people for giving of their own volition to a cause that touched them.

Could she have used that effort to start up crowdfunding for other tragedies instead? Nah.

And your question regarding crowdfunding for the bus crash in India and the horrific plane crash is to point out a racially based decision by Canadians to support young white, male hockey players (there were some players of Native descent who died as well) over Indian schoolchildren?

The tragedy in Saskatchewan and the tragedy in Rajasthan are both beyond horrific in the loss of life, and the absolute devastation to families left without their children. Same with the plane crash. One is not more important than the other. People who live in a country will always be concerned with the wellbeing of their own citizens first.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

And as we speak tragedies are unfolding around the world and lives being lost.

I mean is someone supposed to apologize or feel inappropriate for donating here.

I think this tragedy speaks volumes to how tightly knit the hockey community is and the respect from across Canada and beyond for Canadians. 

Somehow the socially and morally superior Twitter warriors on the internet seem to think that.

I'm glad to see people still stand up to such self-righteous banter. It seems lately that people are supposed to take on a certain level of guilt for existing, let alone making a decision in how they donate their money.

As you've stated, there are horrible things occurring all over the world, and lives are being lost. People do what they can to help.

Would Nora, in all her SJW glory, drive to Humboldt and make that same statement to the families who have a gaping hole in their lives that will never be filled? Highly &^@#ing doubtful.

Edited by PhillipBlunt