The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

My cousin's friend is a nurse who worked on some of the injured.  Is totally traumatized....off shift now, Shelley's going over to be with her.   Everyone is numb and in shock....on auto pilot.  Absolutely gut wrenchingly devastating.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

NEWS | Ashton Sautner on Humboldt Broncos Bus Crash

This does hit home. Anyone who has played jrs knows how much time is spent on a bus. Hopefully that community finds a way to get through this. I always thought Humboldt was a nice lil town.

I didnt see a thread for this yet but it needs to be posted

Home of Humboldt Broncos scene of mourning after 14 dead in Saskatchewan bus crash

The Canadian Press The Canadian Press 21 minutes ago
2941eb95abb4e3ba119096c667b88f84 Home of Humboldt Broncos scene of mourning after 14 dead in Saskatchewan bus crash

The home of the Humboldt Broncos hockey team has become a scene of mourning, support, and strength following a horrific bus crash that killed 14 on the team bus.

Humboldt Mayor Rob Muench, wearing a green and yellow team Broncos jersey, hugged people Saturday morning as they came to the Elger Petersen Arena in the eastern Saskatchewan town to comfort each other and learn more about the crash, which took place early Friday evening northeast of their community.

"It has hit us hard," said Muench. "We are a small community by most standards but the hockey team has always been a big part of our community."

The crash killed Broncos head coach Darcy Haugan and team captain Logan Schatz. The names of others killed have not been confirmed.

Humboldt resident Penny Lee said everything in the community revolves around the Broncos and the players were always taking part in community events.

"Hockey is the community. Everyone is in shock," she said. "We are numb, as a community we are numb."

Many people wandered in and out of the arena during the morning. Multiple crisis workers were assisting in a separate area.

Flowers were placed on the stairs in the rink stands. The railing were wrapped in yellow and green ribbon to honour the team.

The team, in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, was on its way to play in Game 5 of a semi-final playoff game against the Nipawin Hawks.

Darren Opp, president of the Hawks, said a semi T-boned the players' bus.

The Broncos were to hold a news conference Saturday afternoon to update the tragedy.

The family of Ryan Straschnitzki confirmed the 18-year-old player survived but broke his back and can't feel his lower extremities.

Kelly Schatz, Logan's father, said his 20-year-old son played for the Broncos for just over four years and had served as team captain for the past two-and-a-half years.

He says the family is seeking solace in one another.

"It's hard," Kelly Schatz said. "I've got four other kids and they're here, which is nice."

Haugan's wife, Christina George-Haugan, confirmed his death to The Canadian Press. Tributes poured in online for father of two who was described as an amazing mentor to young players.

"He will always be a great man in our hearts," his sister posted on Twitter under the name Debbie Jayne. "The tears just keep coming."

RCMP said initially that 28 people were on the bus and 14 were injured. Later Saturday, RCMP said 29 people were on the bus and 15 were sent to hospital. Three were in critical condition.

In Nipawin Saturday, a church which had been a place for families to gather while they awaited news of their loved ones was deserted, as was Centennial Arena, home of the Hawks.

Offers of help are pouring in for families of team members.

The mother of former NHLer Colby Armstrong tweeted that families could contact her if they needed a place to stay in Saskatoon.

Canalta Hotels were offering to take in family members of those affected. An online fundraising campaign set up for family members of the team had raised more than $260,000 Saturday morning.

Hockey teams and players from leagues across North America tweeted messages of support, many with the hashtag #prayersforhumboldt.

In Toronto, Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock, who grew up in Saskatoon, fought his emotions as he discussed the crash.

"I can't even imagine being the parent, or the wife, or the kids at home, going through something like this," said Babcock. "It's gotta rip the heart out of your chest. We pray for those families and we're thinking about them."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the country is in shock and mourning.

"We are heartbroken knowing many of those we lost had their entire lives in front of them," he said in a statement Saturday. "We grieve with those facing news no parent or family should ever have to face.

"This is every parent's worst nightmare. No one should ever have to see their child leave to play the sport they love and never come back."

Please keep the families involved in this in your prayers. So many young lives lost. God Bless. Mikey

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Thanks 1

as an 22 year highways driver/forman the little bit that I do know about roads in sask they are in tough shape ,as far as winter maintenance response goes ,secondary roads only get plowed and only when absolutely  nessesary as for abrasive's sand/salt just the main roads ,,last nites temps -18 clear and cold conditions, salt on its own wouldn't have activated , salt stops melting ice at -2.  so in the prairies winter abrasives are used for compact snow to help traction and to break up the compact. .so my guess is the road being virtually strait and icy? , the bus being t-boned, either the semi pulled out in the wrong , or the bus lost traction and slid sideways into the truck, either way VERY UNFORTUNATE.     all that said looking at pics of the accident  site,  the road looks bare and dry? 1 of these driver's is to blame.       bus's, plane's, train's, ship's, 1 accident =mass  casualties     WHAT CAUSED THIS ?        one minute hockey's bitter sweet with the sedin's storie and then the next, a tragedy beyond comprehension. 

This is the main story image on NHL.com...story headlines "NHL community reacts to fatal bus crash involving Humboldt Broncos":

Either this is a horrific oversight (ie/ the TML don't represent the entire NHL regardless of what NHL.com thinks) or it is the most shameless advertising ploy in the history of modern man.

I hope it's the former...

cut.jpg

• Wat 3

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

as an 22 year highways driver/forman the little bit that I do know about roads in sask they are in tough shape ,as far as winter maintenance response goes ,secondary roads only get plowed and only when absolutely  nessesary as for abrasive's sand/salt just the main roads ,,last nites temps -18 clear and cold conditions, salt on its own wouldn't have activated , salt stops melting ice at -2.  so in the prairies winter abrasives are used for compact snow to help traction and to break up the compact. .so my guess is the road being virtually strait and icy? , the bus being t-boned, either the semi pulled out in the wrong , or the bus lost traction and slid sideways into the truck, either way VERY UNFORTUNATE.     all that said looking at pics of the accident  site,  the road looks bare and dry? 1 of these driver's is to blame.       bus's, plane's, train's, ship's, 1 accident =mass  casualties     WHAT CAUSED THIS ?        one minute hockey's bitter sweet with the sedin's storie and then the next, a tragedy beyond comprehension. 

Have no confirmation, but have heard the semi driver blew through a red or stop sign?  T bone.  Hoping it's not the truth, because that makes it so senseless and no accident.   Can't imagine how these families are dealing with this.  My heart aches for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I rode a lot of buses to hockey games in my younger life - these remain some of the best memories of my hockey life.   The seats sucked, the smell from the equipment in the belly also worked up into the bus, never enough washroom space and if Wi-Fi was advertised, it never worked....but somehow it was perfect.   We played card, slept, pulled pranks, annoyed coaches, got reminded we were not five year olds, ate tons of junk food and bonded in a way only those who have team sports know what I mean.

I feel numb thinking about the boys that survived, all of the parents and the billets.  Please hug anyone and everyone you can today.   Life is precious.    

• Like 2