The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

so you are content to design and allow intersections where visibility is greatly obscured

in remote areas where as you indicate is it is likely and not entirely unreasonable to assume no one else is driving in that area

when if visibility were improved everyone could see everything that is in fact going on ?

I’m advocating for drivers to stop at stop signs.  

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you are content to design and allow intersections where visibility is greatly obscured

in remote areas where as you indicate is it is likely and not entirely unreasonable to assume no one else is driving in that area

when if visibility were improved everyone could see everything that is in fact going on ?

there really isn't any reason to cut the trees down if people obey the rules of the road , I previously posted about where i thought the driver was from? I ll stand by that because if he was 'local' he would have been familiar with this intersection ,of the millions of intersections ,trees are only 1 sight distance problem, in cities its buildings .

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chon derry said:

there really isn't any reason to cut the trees down if people obey the rules of the road , I previously posted about where i thought the driver was from? I ll stand that because if he was 'local' he would have been familiar with this intersection ,of the millions of intersections ,trees are only 1 sight distance problem, in cities its buildings .

@chon derry

from your experience are there out of the way areas where some truckers, rather than going through their gears to stop and then repeat to get back up to speed, ignore stop signs?  I’m wondering if the not stopping at stop signs is a “thing” done is those parts? 

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@chon derry

from your experience are there out of the way areas where some truckers, rather than going through their gears to stop and then repeat to get back up to speed, ignore stop signs?  I’m wondering if the not stopping at stop signs is a “thing” done is those parts? 

every time I've ever been to the prairie's i'm shocked at the average speeds ITS FLAT . I've witnessed since motor vehical deregulation within B.C. really inexperienced drivers completely out of their capabilities in terms of driving in the north (winter) as compared to the lower mainland , I've also seen comparable driving habits from drivers from the prairie's not because of their inexperiance driving but their lack of driving in mountainous conditions .every herring season here in Rupert (late march)  usually 100+ very hungry truckers show up for usually less than 100 loads and more often than not theres usually an accident en route between the lower mainland and the north coast. bottom line like every other industry  theres a lack of experienced plumbers , electricians ,carpenders , in Canada there's 25,000 trucking job's available at any giving time .  that's scary stuff, considering the quality of drivers available.

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I was being facetious.  Yes, the accident happened, but it seems like it shouldn’t have.  The truck driver had a very visible stop sign.

Serious thread here, try to be serious.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

How would the trees block the view of the truck driver?

I'm honestly a little confused at how you can't see it. It's pretty obvious....

The truck approaches the intersection from the east on 335, with the trees to his left. The bus approaches from the south on 35, with the trees to their right. They wouldn't see each other until they were actually in the intersection.

It's correct to say that the crash wouldn't have happened had the truck driver stopped at the stop sign, but at this point, we don't know why he didn't. Negligence is an obvious reason, but there are other possibilities as well, such as road conditions.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sonoman said:

Unfortunately Google doesn’t have a street view from the actual perspective

I think it's fairly easy to glean from the photo that you posted. The stop sign and light pole in the foreground were taken out by the two vehicles. The area of green that we see in the center-right of the photo is where they and all the debris ended up.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

Unfortunately, it's not always as easy as "just cut down the trees". We don't know who owns the property on the other side of those trees and it's actually a fairly common practice on the prairies to plant trees as a windbreak, to prevent seeds from being blown away on freshly planted fields.

I don't know the Humboldt area all that well, but I've been to both Nipawin and P.A. and it was plenty windy.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm honestly a little confused at how you can't see it. It's pretty obvious....

The truck approaches the intersection from the east on 335, with the trees to his left. The bus approaches from the south on 35, with the trees to their right. They wouldn't see each other until they were actually in the intersection.

It's correct to say that the crash wouldn't have happened had the truck driver stopped at the stop sign, but at this point, we don't know why he didn't. Negligence is an obvious reason, but there are other possibilities as well, such as road conditions.

could there have been glare from a setting sun in the truck driver’s eyes, so he didn’t see the stop sign?  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

could there have been glare from a setting sun in the truck driver’s eyes, so he didn’t see the stop sign?  

Crash happened around 5 pm. This time of year, sunset is around 7:30, so I'd say it's unlikely...

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Crash happened around 5 pm. This time of year, sunset is around 7:30, so I'd say it's unlikely...

I accept the cause of the accident is not really important.  Knowing will not help those families.  Is there something in our human DNA that makes want to get answers?  

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

every time I've ever been to the prairie's i'm shocked at the average speeds ITS FLAT . I've witnessed since motor vehical deregulation within B.C. really inexperienced drivers completely out of their capabilities in terms of driving in the north (winter) as compared to the lower mainland , I've also seen comparable driving habits from drivers from the prairie's not because of their inexperiance driving but their lack of driving in mountainous conditions .every herring season here in Rupert (late march)  usually 100+ very hungry truckers show up for usually less than 100 loads and more often than not theres usually an accident en route between the lower mainland and the north coast. bottom line like every other industry  theres a lack of experienced plumbers , electricians ,carpenders , in Canada there's 25,000 trucking job's available at any giving time .  that's scary stuff, considering the quality of drivers available.

I agree, drivers in the lower mainland are horrible. Can you imagine if the rest of Canada got shut down over 3-20”s of snow? :lol:   It’s just scary driving anywhere down there. It’s like people don’t know how to shoulder check and every time a light turns green it’s a 100km/hr race in a 50 zone to get to the next red light :picard::lol: 

• Haha 1

I think the trees may have played a factor.  Not just for the semi driver with the trees to his left, but to the Bus driver with the trees to his right not seeing the Semi coming till it was too late!  If the Bus driver had been able to see the Semi approaching the intersection not slowing down be it ice, failed brakes, stuck throttle, the Bus driver may have been able to brake and steer himself out of a collision?  So the trees may have had an impact on what happened!  Just saying!

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I accept the cause of the accident is not really important.  Knowing will not help those families.  Is there something in our human DNA that makes want to get answers?  

That is the question that everyone wants to know... for sure.

Just hope it's not a case of distracted driver.

Although it can be the cause,truck driver checking his cell,or bus driver joking with the players,or what not....Who know's.

But the full story will come out,most likely sooner then later.

Edited by blaise
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, we win the cup in 2022 said:

I watched the start of the vigil and have some questions. I am not religious at all but the pastor kept mentioning Jesus and God as all powerful and all knowing. If that is the case, why did this God not prevent the accident in the first place? im confused....

Tragedy’s like this, where so many young innocent lives are taken, are very hard for families to accept.  Religious belief comforts those who remain alive.  

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

how about they just cut down those trees

since the intersection already has a history as white crosses are planted

it appears to be some sort of a trap. or accident facilitator

due to poor visibility conditions

at a location where at least in one direction vehicles are traveling at highway speeds

i mean how stupid is that intersection????

On 4/7/2018 at 7:23 PM, sonoman said:

Definitely stop signs on 335.  Unfortunately, icy conditions possibly contributed to this tragedy.  Across the street, it looks like a previous fatal accident (white crosses?)

IMG_2419.PNG

where the trees are looks like a farm yard to me. It's common for there to be trees like that around a yard. Just a FYI. There are yards near many intersections, if you're stopped at the stop sign you should be able to see fine since the trees aren't in the ditch.