The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Season: Free Agents Who fit Jim and Trevors Wishes (Share your thoughts)

Rush17

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes, but you lost me when "top pairing' morphed into "Gardiner" ::D...

I do think they probably need to add a center - even if they move Granlund to C, they're still left with Gagner (a weak faceoff guy and not that "hard to play against") - or converting Gaunce back (a possibility), and otherwise it's a young guys like Pettersson (I think it's too early) or Gaudette (could be ready but not sure you want to bank on it).....so they could bring in a C, but I like the flexibility of a less expensive, hard minutes shutdown guy that at the same time doesn't commit them to years of higher cap there if those guys emerge and create redundancy (lower priced redundancy is preferable imo).  If they don't get results / arent' competitive enough in the shorter run, is there that much 'risk' as long as the players are actually NHL ready and not playing roles that are over their heads?  That will be interesting to see, and next year's team may be the most unpredictable in Benning's tenure.

I think it's also true that they're not particularly heavy on the wing, particularly in the top 6, but I don't expect a guy like Kane to be available at reasonable terms (if that were the case, I don't think I'd be too concerned about potentially losing a good young forward to waivers if they can't be dealt).   But otherwise I think the transition has reached a stage where they have good young viable NHL ready options - even if not yet in the form they're looking for in the end -  and I also like the implications of letting those players contend for spots (there's already a few that will remain outside looking in if the team doesn't trade a few).  So the incentive is there.  I'm always in favour of making players earn those spots - but I also think they've reached a new 'critical mass' point where they don't need to add as many placeholder assets - and may even need to clear one out (or two).

Yup, short term, stop gap C of some variety (either depth or even just more capable than what we have but just 'ok' 2C) and ideally similar on D. Either could come from free agency or trade.

I'd certainly kick tires on an upgrade for wing (Kane or otherwise) but agree, it's not a pressing priority. Especially should we draft a Svech/Zadina/Tkachuck.

The draft could certainly change any FA targets the team might have.

If you win a lottery pick - if it's 1st overall, do you still look to sign a pmd?  I probably don't.  If it's in the 2, 3 range, do you look to sign a top 6 forward?  I probably don't.  If the team traded into say the 4 spot, take a Boqvist type, same question at the top pick.  

I think some of the planning will hinge somewhat on this.  If they stay in the range - or lower - that they're presently in, with possibly a longer term prospect taken, does that change their shorter term plans a bit?

For me, the one thing that is clear is that they need a hard minutes, veteran shutdown and faceoff center to supplement the existing group. 

One positive. Hutton looks like he is getting more serious. Let's see if it leads to a strong off season.

Fire in his eyes. He even bought some workout equipment to help measure his progression. ^^

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

One positive. Hutton looks like he is getting more serious. Let's see if it leads to a strong off season.

Fire in his eyes. He even bought some workout equipment to help measure his progression. ^^

Not sure Kuzma (or Hutton's agent) is doing anyone any favours with this stuff.

Just turned 25 years old - fire in his eyes is nice and all, but this might be a bit too soon of a sell (and a bit late to be indicating a player intends to get in shape).

2.8 million per ought to buy you some workout equipment.  Maybe we should look at that as a (late) gift from the franchise.

Anyhow, I think it might be more prudent to be less vocal - because it's show me time - telling people you're going to show them is just talk.

On 20/04/2018 at 5:57 PM, oldnews said:

Not sure Kuzma (or Hutton's agent) is doing anyone any favours with this stuff.

Just turned 25 years old - fire in his eyes is nice and all, but this might be a bit too soon of a sell (and a bit late to be indicating a player intends to get in shape).

2.8 million per ought to buy you some workout equipment.  Maybe we should look at that as a (late) gift from the franchise.

Anyhow, I think it might be more prudent to be less vocal - because it's show me time - telling people you're going to show them is just talk.

Totally agree... Talk is cheap.... Show us instead.

Here’s some offseason moves/target players for UFA

Trade targets:

Domi - gritty top 6 forward 

Reinhart - 2nd line skilled center 

Skinner - top 6 with speed

Mark Stone - bargain bin w Sens? Has size and plays with emotion

UFA

Vanek - 1 year (or)

Jokinen - 1 year 

Bozak - 3 year 

Khudobin - 2 year

Holden

Zatkoff (AHL backup

Hammond (AHL backup)

Bernier (1 year deal to cover Demko)

Nolan - cheap 4th liner

Calvert 

Manning -D depth to drive McDavid nuts

Sustr - tall lanky Dman

De Haan - could see him and Sustr to shore up a porous D

Rattie - former winter hawk (know canucks love coaches with former players)

Peca - plays with Tampa and has some jam

TBA - A euro league d man (1 year incentive) 

and a junior overager 

Out

Gaunce

Hutton

Granlund

Baertschi

Sutter - only if there’s a trade to bring in top 6 scoring 

Eriksson - retires or bought out

Archibald

*Coaches out - cloutier

*Management - New player of personnel added, new asst GM and new head of pro scouting 

Piece from Friedman's 31 thoughts

. Another Canadian team that may dip into European free agency: Vancouver. The Canucks are looking at Par Lindholm, a 26-year-old Swedish centre. Several NHL clubs were interested, but believe Vancouver has a good shot at him.

i wonder what incentive would a Swedish C have for coming to Vancouver lol

EP40 anyone? Lol

On 2018-04-07 at 8:01 PM, Rush17 said:

Free Agent: Possibly available in the mid-term range fitting Jim and Trevor's goal.  NHL pros who can help support the kids and add some grit, skill, and provide mentorship.

There is the class of players below: Not recently or ever on this team

6. Mike Green       UFA    32    D    Right        66    8    25    33    -14    22:04 -    -    -    -    -        $6,000,000

13. Valtteri Filppula        UFA    34    C, LW    Left    80    11    22    33    -7    16:28-    -    -    -    -    $5,000,000

15.  Mikhail Grabovski      UFA    34    C, RW    Left        0    0    0    0    0    -    -    -    -    $6,000,000

21. Tyler Bozak        UFA    32    C    Right    80    11    31    42    6    15:37 -    -    -    -    -    $4,000,000    

22. Nikolai Kulemin        UFA    31    LW, RW    Left    13    1    2    3    0    11:56 -    -    -    -    -    $5,250,000

27. David Perron        UFA    29    LW, RW    Right    70    16    50    66    1    17:48 -    -    -    -    -    $3,750,000

41. Lee Stempniak        UFA    35    RW    Right    36    3    6    9    -8    12:24-    -    -    -    -    $2,500,000

45. Blake Comeau        UFA    32    LW, RW    Right    78    13    20    33    4    15:53 -    -    -    -    -    $2,400,000

52. Patrick Maroon        UFA    29    LW    Left    73    16    24    40    0    17:03 -    -    -    -    -    $2,100,000

54. Antoine Roussel        UFA    28    LW    Left    72    5    12    17    1    12:23 -    -    -    -    -    $2,400,000

58. Mark Letestu        UFA    33    C, RW    Right    79    9    13    22    -18    12:01 -    -    -    -    -    $1,800,000

59. Antoine Vermette        UFA    35    C, LW    Left    63    8    8    16    -5    13:48 -    -    -    -    -    $1,750,000

64. Michael Grabner        UFA    30    RW, LW    Left    79    27    9    36    13    14:43 -    -    -    -    -    $1,650,000 

66. Derek Ryan            UFA    31    C    Right    79    15    23    38    -15    15:36 -    -    -    -    -    $1,425,000

68. Cody McLeod            UFA    33    LW, RW    Left    48    1    3    4    -11    06:49 -    -    -    -    -    $1,250,000

This is the class of players formerly Canucks in the past 3-4 seasons

43. Jannik Hansen        UFA    32    RW    Right    46    2    12    14    2    12:02 -    -    -    -    -    $3,000,000

49. Shawn Matthias      UFA    30    C, LW    Left    27    1    2    3    -1    11:10 -    -    -    -    -    $2,125,000

51. Brad Richardson     UFA    33    RW    Left    75    3    12    15    -22    14:48 -    -    -    -    -    $2,250,000

56. Thomas Vanek        UFA    34    LW, RW    Right    79    24    32    56    -2    14:23 -    -    -    -    -    $2,000,000

All of these players could likely be had at a good price or on relatively short-term deals like given out to Gagner, Del Zotto, and Vanek etc.  Grabner may get a big payday but the rest seem to be pretty reasonable. Grabner's speed could make him a worthwhile veteran to lock down if we can nab him over a 4-year term. Bozak will likely command a 3-5 year term contract but we might be able to convince him to sign him on the lower end of that. (Unlikely but figured he would be worth adding as a long shot like Grabner.)  

Here is the link of all UFAs currently not re-upd: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/all/ufa  (Please share who you feel could be a good contributor to this squad next season to help replace some of the veteran leadership we will be losing in our 2 all-time greats retiring this evening!)

Cough*** John Carlson*** Cough.

didnt see his name anywhere.  Did he re-sign with Wash and I missed it?  

Cough*** Kane *** Cough. See above John Carlson. 

Cough*** JVR ***Cough see above.

IMO with our deficiencies on defence we shoul definitely target prime defencemen. 

A lot of folks seem to think Green will be a bargin signing and he may well turn out to be the guy that JB targets. I don’t really see him as a mentor to our youth. 

John Carlson will have a large impact on our defence on both sides of the puck. He will command a large salary and he may never achieve numbers like this season’s, but his on ice contributions go beyond offence. 

He is my target numero uno. 

There is a large gap on our left side.  Danny is gone and Baer is on the ejection seat.  Baer can turn it around but I see him as a weak link on the top line. 

IMO Baer would be more effective dropping a line. This is where JVR or Kane come in. Both are the top left wingers hitting FA.  JVR is the guy I think should be targeted. 

Kane will command a higher salary and has been far more inconsistent in his career so far. JVR is excellent, quietly puts up solid numbers year after year on a largerly terrible team. 

He would be a prefect fit with Bo and Brock. 

Kane would be riskier IMO, higher potential impact or could be a disaster. He has everything this team needs and is a local guy. 

Aftet that a depth 3-4 line guy with toughness. Getting a few guys that will ad backbone to other players and provide some deterrent for players who would take liberties is vital. The above guys all provide this. 

We have a  significant amount of cash and cap room. Adding Carlson could facilitate a trade of Tanev and add to the draft picks or prospects which is also vital moving forward. 

Thats my take... sign all the FA’s. 

EmW

I think you swing at the big fish, to me that is JT, Carlsson and Kane.  Stay out of the middle guys as they are usually overpriced for what you get and frankly what our team is already brimming with.  If you miss on the top guys maybe just some depth pieces.  I am not sure how much Brad Richardson has left in the tank but he was a solid defensive forward which is something we don't have much of and he seemed to love his time in Vancouver and always talks very respectfully of the Canucks.  I could see Vanek coming back, it seemed to work for both sides (and I was VERY critical of the Vanek deal last summer).

I am not sure if management and ownership have the discipline to not throw money at a Bozak of Filpulla which seems to me to just be redundant and ultimately counterproductive.

Archived