The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Season: Free Agents Who fit Jim and Trevors Wishes (Share your thoughts)

Rush17

Definitely would go after Grabner always liked the guys speed and shot was surprised so many fans gave up on him back in the day, kind of like how many like to give up on Virtanen already I see the same, but Grabner would be a great fit won't cost to much but brings speed to a young team I think he would fit in well.

Definitely would like to see them take a shot at Tavares but I doubt he will come here, he wants to be on a playoff team now not maybe in a couple years, he will resign or go to a playoff ready team.

Defense is a big one this team needs to really improve on, Carlson would be a great one but he's going to get a big pay day not sure if the Canucks will be willing to dish out as much cash as he will probably be offered, Green would be a good replacement option for sure. I don't think the team will be able to address the Defense issues with just signing UFAs, I think some trades would be necessary, but we don't have much trade assets on D to get good replacements, it's going to be tough imo to fix the D on this team unless we get the 1st pick but that's a long shot.

Okay, I really don't believe that Tavares will consider coming here, I think he wants to stay in the East and I think his ultimate destination is Toronto, who also have a LOT of cap space heading into this year.

But, since we deal in wild speculation in this forum, let's have some fun. Everything here, I'm basing on a 78 million cap, although I've seen some estimates that place it at 80 million for the coming year.

July 1st, Canucks make an offer to John Tavares for a 1 year, maximum salary, 15.6 Million US dollars. The longest term that you can offer a guy if he's not resigning with you is 7 years. So, give him a one year maximum with the understanding that after a few months, you will begin "negotiating" a deal that's pretty much already agreed to, 8 year, 96 million dollar extension that would give the Canucks an end cap hit of around 12 million after his first year here. This would essentially guarantee Tavares 9 total years of contract instead of the 8 that NYI could offer him.

Then, assuming that we aren't picking any higher than 8th or 9th this year, 

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

2nd round 2018 pick

2.5 million retained

To Montreal:

2018 2nd round pick (only if its later than 6th overall)

Hutton

Baerstchi

To Arizona

Eriksson with 2 million retained

2nd round 2018 pick (From Montreal)

To Vancouver

2018 3rd round pick

Why would Arizona do this? Helps them keep at the cap floor with a contract this is reducing in what they actually payout. I admit, it may take a bit of work to convince Eriksson to waive

Trade Del Zotto for 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sign Evander Kane, 5 years, 5.5 million cap hit

Resign:

Virtanen 1.25 million for 2 years

Boucher 700k 1 year

Stecher 1.5 million 1 year bridge

Pouliot 1.25 million 1 year bridge

Not going to deal with guys who will likely continue in Utica in this.

Lineup for 2018 / 2019

Kane, Tavares, Boeser

Goldobin, Horvat, Virtanen

Leipsic, Sutter, Gagner

Dahlen, Gaudette, Pettersson

Granlund

Weber, Tanev

Pouliot, Gudbranson

Edler, OJ

Stecher slots in for whoever is injured (you know it will happen), and when they believe OJ needs a game off to reflect on areas to improve his game.

Markstrom

Nilsson / Demko (let them fight it out in camp)

Leadership:

Tavares - Captain

Weber - A

Edler - A

Horvat - A

Anyone else not mentioned here, gets either assigned to a really stocked Utica team or if necessary, traded for picks at the end of camp if they can't win a spot.

Again, really don't believe that any of this will happen, I think Tavares is heading for Toronto. However, if you were going to make a pitch for him, I think the one year, league maximum and then resign to a 8 year extension is how you even begin to approach him.

Okay, flame away!!!

::D

19 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I could see a Dorsett replacement.  Is Archibald that guy?  I'm just raising the question because I'm not sure he makes the team with a healthy line up.

Gagner was supposed to be Hanks replacement I think but Green looks like he wants him on the wing.  We could see a bottom 6 centre added on a 1 or 2 year term.  Richardson?   

As for goal, I think we see the 2 best of Markstrom, Nilsson and Demko with the club next year.

As a 4th liner who you sorta know what you have in him.  Someone who can PK, solid defensively, hit, fight a little, pot the odd goal and actually skate, I am not opposed to having him back.  At this point I would much rather have him than a Gaunce or Motte, I feel he brings a more overall game that fits with a bit of the grit factor.  And he can probably be signed for cheap and not bother us with waivers if we ever did decide to send him down.

I hope they go out and only give 1 year deals, I don't really care who, with 1 year deals atleast you have a shot at shipping them out at the deadline and its not like we are winning the cup anytime soon so its best to go for assets now.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We have many options and so many possibilities which are nice to have. It makes for an exciting off-season.

Yeah the options make it exciting but also INCREDIBLY unpredictable. Benning could take so many avenues this summer it's almost dizzying. It's going to be really interesting and fun to see how he uses all the abundant young assets/depth, quality 'vets' like Tanev or Baer, our oodles of cap space etc.

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Okay, I really don't believe that Tavares will consider coming here, I think he wants to stay in the East and I think his ultimate destination is Toronto, who also have a LOT of cap space heading into this year.

But, since we deal in wild speculation in this forum, let's have some fun. Everything here, I'm basing on a 78 million cap, although I've seen some estimates that place it at 80 million for the coming year.

July 1st, Canucks make an offer to John Tavares for a 1 year, maximum salary, 15.6 Million US dollars. The longest term that you can offer a guy if he's not resigning with you is 7 years. So, give him a one year maximum with the understanding that after a few months, you will begin "negotiating" a deal that's pretty much already agreed to, 8 year, 96 million dollar extension that would give the Canucks an end cap hit of around 12 million after his first year here. This would essentially guarantee Tavares 9 total years of contract instead of the 8 that NYI could offer him.

Then, assuming that we aren't picking any higher than 8th or 9th this year, 

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

2nd round 2018 pick

2.5 million retained

To Montreal:

2018 2nd round pick (only if its later than 6th overall)

Hutton

Baerstchi

To Arizona

Eriksson with 2 million retained

2nd round 2018 pick (From Montreal)

To Vancouver

2018 3rd round pick

Why would Arizona do this? Helps them keep at the cap floor with a contract this is reducing in what they actually payout. I admit, it may take a bit of work to convince Eriksson to waive

Trade Del Zotto for 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Resign:

Virtanen 1.25 million for 2 years

Boucher 700k 1 year

Stecher 1.5 million 1 year bridge

Pouliot 1.25 million 1 year bridge

Not going to deal with guys who will likely continue in Utica in this.

Lineup for 2018 / 2019

Kane, Tavares, Boeser

Goldobin, Horvat, Virtanen

Leipsic, Sutter, Gagner

Dahlen, Gaudette, Pettersson

Granlund

Weber, Tanev

Pouliot, Gudbranson

Edler, OJ

Stecher slots in for whoever is injured (you know it will happen), and when they believe OJ needs a game off to reflect on areas to improve his game.

Markstrom

Nilsson / Demko (let them fight it out in camp)

Leadership:

Tavares - Captain

Weber - A

Edler - A

Horvat - A

Anyone else not mentioned here, gets either assigned to a really stocked Utica team or if necessary, traded for picks at the end of camp if they can't win a spot.

Again, really don't believe that any of this will happen, I think Tavares is heading for Toronto. However, if you were going to make a pitch for him, I think the one year, league maximum and then resign to a 8 year extension is how you even begin to approach him.

Okay, flame away!!!

::D

Not going to flame you as I like the Weber idea but not sure Montreal does that but again you never know with Montreal anymore ::D, but what you didn't mention and just randomly saw it on your lineup is how Kane just slides into the lineup out of no where....  With the Money your willing to spend on Tavares, and taking on the Weber contract, even without Erkisson contract if he is traded how do you fit Kane's contract on this team and stay under the cap for next year?  $14M is coming off and you're already giving $15.6M to Tavares, add Weber take Eriksson off and that's almost another $2M extra more for us, get ride of Del Zotto $3M gone evens out the difference, but where's the money to give Kane $5M +, I just don't see the cap space with all that. Everything would be fine without Kane!

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not going to flame you as I like the Weber idea but not sure Montreal does that but again you never know with Montreal anymore ::D, but what you didn't mention and just randomly saw it on your lineup is how Kane just slides into the lineup out of no where....  With the Money your willing to spend on Tavares, and taking on the Weber contract, even without Erkisson contract if he is traded how do you fit Kane's contract on this team and stay under the cap for next year?  $14M is coming off and you're already giving $15.6M to Tavares, add Weber take Eriksson off and that's almost another $2M extra more for us, get ride of Del Zotto $3M gone evens out the difference, but where's the money to give Kane $5M +, I just don't see the cap space with all that. Everything would be fine without Kane!

Knew there was something I was forgetting to document. Yes, sign Kane for 5 years, 5.5 million.  I'd like to have him at 5 million, but I think it will take more than that, even with it being home town.

This "should" give much more stability on defense and throughout the lineup and provide time for kids to develop and evolve, without being forced.

I like the idea of having Weber around to mentor OJ as well as Edler and Tanev.

28 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Virtanen is worth more than 1.25 a year. 

I think that he's starting to show that, but I think he still has a ways to go before he is really worth a big increase. Maybe the 2 year that I proposed, should be a one year bridge, allowing him to show that the promise that he's really displaying in the last 10 games, is something that he can sustain and build on.

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Fixed the Kane part.

Montreal, I think knows its in rebuild as well and that Vancouver is now, farther ahead. There's a number of defense that are in the 6 - 9 range that would probably interest Montreal for longer term. I'd be comfortable doing this, primarily because Benning has shown that he has incredible capability at identifying talent in later rounds, maybe even better than in first round. He's really good at seeing that spark in players and giving them time, space and support to develop the talent. He's shown that throughout his career.

I think this lineup would be bound for playoffs next season and would be considered a threat in 2 - 3 years.

30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fixed the Kane part.

Montreal, I think knows its in rebuild as well and that Vancouver is now, farther ahead. There's a number of defense that are in the 6 - 9 range that would probably interest Montreal for longer term. I'd be comfortable doing this, primarily because Benning has shown that he has incredible capability at identifying talent in later rounds, maybe even better than in first round. He's really good at seeing that spark in players and giving them time, space and support to develop the talent. He's shown that throughout his career.

I think this lineup would be bound for playoffs next season and would be considered a threat in 2 - 3 years.

I still don't think the math adds up, with Sedins Zotto and Eriksson gone if it that happens that's $23M off the cap, now with Kane at $5.5M with Tavares and Weber a total of $28.9M cap, almost $6M more then right now that would put this team over $80M and that's not resigning any RFAs or UFAs on this team with some to make a little more and most are low salaries already to begin with. 

Will add though I really don't want Kane, I don't think he is the right fit for this team leadership wise.

A lot of good ideas so far. The biggest concern right now is moving the young guys in the right direction and filling much needed pieces.

Getting a tougher, grittier forward who can play in the top 6 would be a necessity. Our young guys are going to be targets and there needs to be deterrents out there. Not gorillas but some bigger players with some sandpaper. 

The other gaping hole? Top 4 Dmen. If a Carlson cannot be lured then I suggest we wait for next season when other big names come up in FA.

Please no more one dimensional(non-physical) , fill-ins(Gagner,Ericksson types) as we need to see what young guys can step up. We have moving pieces(Baertchi,Granlund,Sutter,Gagner etc.) that can be moved in and out of positions as needed already so no need to add to this(Grabner etc.). 

So my plan would be to go hard for Carlson(A young PMD), when do these guys become FA's? and then a top 6 forward(Kane,Neal etc.) who can support the young guys.

Oh yeah and Nilsson needs to be replaced, that's a given. Hopefully by Demko. B)

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I still don't think the math adds up, with Sedins Zotto and Eriksson gone if it that happens that's $23M off the cap, now with Kane at $5.5M with Tavares and Weber a total of $28.9M cap, almost $6M more then right now that would put this team over $80M and that's not resigning any RFAs or UFAs on this team with some to make a little more and most are low salaries already to begin with. 

Will add though I really don't want Kane, I don't think he is the right fit for this team leadership wise.

It probably doesn't, I didn't put that much time into working out the actual numbers. Its probably close and pretty sure that we can figure out a way to do it, might need to make an additional trade or something.

Petterson-Horvat-Eriksson 

Goldobin-Gagner-Boeser (maybe bring Vanek back to play with Boeser)

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Gaudette-Reaves (or anyone tough)

Sven

Sven can rotate in to cover injuries or if someone doesn’t show up to play. 

Meh not bad, pretty inexperienced but I guess that is what you get as a rebuilding team. 

I could also see us trying a three year 15m per contract for John Tavares 

Archived