The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Devastating chemical weapons attack in Syria

Toews

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously Syria didn't do this. Why would they? America has lost control in the region so they come up with a way to try and take back control. 

The Syrian government forces had no reason to do this or the last alleged chemical attack. Especially considering Obama said Syria got rid of all its chemical weapons.

24 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Seems to me the only groups that have anything to gain by a chemical attack are rebels and/or ISIS, really don't see the logic in why Syria would do it, but, whatever, nothing surprises me anymore on what happens, any of the stories I've read could be true.

If Assad wishes to remain in power, all he has to do is have the rest of the world stop caring about him.  Using chemical weapons would do the opposite of it, thus it's likely the opposition that used it.  Any time chemical weapons are used... the world points at Assad.  Any time there's civilian casualties.... the world immediately points at Assad.  Yet it's not like the rebels are all enlightened individuals fighting for a better future...... lots are just opportunists, radicals, etc.... just wishing to carve up their own little power base.

In terms of weaponry.... they already have lots of conventional weapons from Iran and Russia.... using chemical weapons isn't more effective.   

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously Syria didn't do this. Why would they? America has lost control in the region so they come up with a way to try and take back control. 

The Syrian government forces had no reason to do this or the last alleged chemical attack. Especially considering Obama said Syria got rid of all its chemical weapons.

Gee..someone who sees clearly. Might have to listen to that Johnny Nash track in your honour.

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have to agree... it doesn’t make sense why they’d invite an all out attack by America. I think that is why Russia is flying planes low by that ship to let America know that countries are sick of their bullying and the real culprit should be held accountable. 

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

If Assad wishes to remain in power, all he has to do is have the rest of the world stop caring about him.  Using chemical weapons would do the opposite of it, thus it's likely the opposition that used it.  Any time chemical weapons are used... the world points at Assad.  Any time there's civilian casualties.... the world immediately points at Assad.  Yet it's not like the rebels are all enlightened individuals fighting for a better future...... lots are just opportunists, radicals, etc.... just wishing to carve up their own little power base.

In terms of weaponry.... they already have lots of conventional weapons from Iran and Russia.... using chemical weapons isn't more effective.   

As long as Assad has Russia protecting him, it doesn't matter who points at him.

Assad uses the chemical weapon attacks to prove that he is still the strong man and that he can get away with whatever he wants. He is punishing those who oppose him in a very draconian way. 

Trump homeland security advisor Tom Bossert said to resign - report

Bossert quits, according to Bloomberg (update: maybe he was fired)

According to Wikipedia, Bossert is an American lawyer and Republican White House staffer, currently serving as Homeland Security Advisor to President Donald Trump.

Immediately before, he was a fellow at the Atlantic Council and prior to that he served as Deputy Homeland Security Advisor to President George W. Bush. In that capacity, he co-authored the 2007 National Strategy for Homeland Security.

Bossert was doing the media rounds on the weekend and sounded reluctant to take action on Syria.

"The pendulum has swung in the wrong direction for too long and the United States of America has been taken advantage of in their responsibility to provide security for the entire world," he said on ABC's 'This Week.'

Another theory is that he just doesn't get along with John Bolton, who started on Monday.

Update: Bloomberg's Jennifer Jacobs reports that Bossert "is essentially being fired" after John Bolton requested his resignation.

https://forexlive.com/news/!/trump-homeland-security-advisor-tom-bossert-said-to-resign-report-20180410

Posted this in the cesspool. Might as well post it here too.

Out with the doves, in with the hawks.

5 hours ago, taxi said:

As long as Assad has Russia protecting him, it doesn't matter who points at him.

Assad uses the chemical weapon attacks to prove that he is still the strong man and that he can get away with whatever he wants. He is punishing those who oppose him in a very draconian way. 

If he's proving he can do whatever with whatever weapon, he sure is doing it in a very controlled and minor fashion.  

Gas attacks are very unreliable and isn't always the most effective, especially if used in rather small quantities.  If Assad really wants to give a big middle finger to the rest of the world and really seize the initiative, he would be sending mass quantities of chemicals weapons in the attack and run up the casualty count into the hundreds or even thousands.  That would be better tactical move as rebels would be fleeing the area as well.  

But just dropping one or two canister of chemical weapons.... that's pointless in almost every way, shape and form.  

One random question I have.... I'm no chemical weapon expert, but how long would it take for the chemicals to disperse to a safe level for medical staff to go in?  I mean.... it's not like those kids have been washed down or whatever, so whatever stuff that they inhaled should still be on them.  A lot of medics there aren't wearing any extra haz-mat stuff.  Just lots of red flags everywhere.  

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

If he's proving he can do whatever with whatever weapon, he sure is doing it in a very controlled and minor fashion.  

Gas attacks are very unreliable and isn't always the most effective, especially if used in rather small quantities.  If Assad really wants to give a big middle finger to the rest of the world and really seize the initiative, he would be sending mass quantities of chemicals weapons in the attack and run up the casualty count into the hundreds or even thousands.  That would be better tactical move as rebels would be fleeing the area as well.  

But just dropping one or two canister of chemical weapons.... that's pointless in almost every way, shape and form.  

One random question I have.... I'm no chemical weapon expert, but how long would it take for the chemicals to disperse to a safe level for medical staff to go in?  I mean.... it's not like those kids have been washed down or whatever, so whatever stuff that they inhaled should still be on them.  A lot of medics there aren't wearing any extra haz-mat stuff.  Just lots of red flags everywhere.  

He's not trying to decimate his own population, just whip them into obedience. 

Most of the more dangerous nerve gasses are very volatile and break down quickly, which is why they are usually stored as unmixed precursors. Within a few weeks there may not be enough of a trace of them to detect. This is why when Russia stalls out the UN observers from entering, it's very effective. My guess is that any inspectors entering the area would have Hazmat suits on, which would allow them to enter right away.

Things are heating up in and around Syria.

Unfortunately I am thinking that escalation is imminent. 

With Russians allegedly arming their planes with KH-35’s and K-300P being deployed as well.

That tells me that they are anticipating possible naval attack.

I wonder if they will activate S400 batteries to shoot down incoming TLAM’s.

Also Israel and Iran might get drawn into this, I just hope it ends up being just posturing.

3 hours ago, taxi said:

He's not trying to decimate his own population, just whip them into obedience. 

Most of the more dangerous nerve gasses are very volatile and break down quickly, which is why they are usually stored as unmixed precursors. Within a few weeks there may not be enough of a trace of them to detect. This is why when Russia stalls out the UN observers from entering, it's very effective. My guess is that any inspectors entering the area would have Hazmat suits on, which would allow them to enter right away.

This is inaccurate. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/04/11/putin-calls-investigations-chemical-attack-syria

On 4/8/2018 at 10:00 AM, taxi said:

Lol. There has never been anything pointing to cia involvement in these attacks. The country is in a state is total war and had been for several years. International involvement cannot happen without Russian approval, which will never happen. What exactly is the USA trying to provoke?

No it's not. Broaden your horizons bud. Turn off CTV news and do your own research.

https://www.rt.com/news/422925-syria-eater-celebrations-aleppo/

19 minutes ago, mdehaan said:

I highly recommend reading the article before posting it.

When the Joint Investigative Mechanism concluded that Syrian government forces were responsible for chemical attacks with chlorine, Russia, together with China, vetoed a resolution seeking to impose sanctions on those responsible.

17 minutes ago, mdehaan said:

No it's not. Broaden your horizons bud. Turn off CTV news and do your own research.

https://www.rt.com/news/422925-syria-eater-celebrations-aleppo/

When up to half a million of your citizens are dead and another 5-7 million are refugees.

That is what you call a state of war, maybe you should broaden your horizons by looking up what “state of war” means.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:26 PM, Toews said:

Reveal hidden contents

I included the video in spoiler because I legitimately found it traumatizing. If you are like me and are horrified at the sight of dead babies and children, then I suggest you do not watch the video in the spoiler. 

How can the same species that cries over grown men, who play a game for a living, decide to retire then possibly capable of doing this to children?    

The more I see stuff like this, the more I like my dogs.

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I highly recommend reading the article before posting it.

When the Joint Investigative Mechanism concluded that Syrian government forces were responsible for chemical attacks with chlorine, Russia, together with China, vetoed a resolution seeking to impose sanctions on those responsible.

I would think an investigation would come BEFORE sanctions on those responsible, no? .....

26 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

When up to half a million of your citizens are dead and another 5-7 million are refugees.

That is what you call a state of war, maybe you should broaden your horizons by looking up what “state of war” means.

Googled it. "War is a state of armed conflict between states or societies. It is generally characterized by extreme aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces." 

I recommend reading the article before posting. 

Earlier, hundreds of Syrians joined a Good Friday mass at the city’s Saint Francis Cathedral, which had been targeted in a missile strike in November 2015, when it was packed with 400 worshippers attending the Sunday mass. In what priests still label a “miracle,” no one was hurt then.

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

So what do you call what’s happening in Syria?

The US is putting its nose where it doesn't need to be. Its track record of bringing 'democracy' to the region has shown that.

The last extreme aggression and destruction happened in 2015. Since then the Syrian government has pushed back ISIS and the rebels to the point where the President of the United States made a statement about pulling troops out of Syria.

Photos show, that the war has subsided as of late, enough for people to gather in the streets and celebrate Easter. Does that sound like a imminent and extreme aggression?

Would you disagree?

Assad is just another benevolent dictator. When has he ever shown any inclination towards using chemical weapons on his own citizens. The joke is on whoever decided to fire this chemical weapon as Russia is already looking the other way while Trump will tweet and subsequently do nothing about it.

Hmm... its almost like it was completely in Assad's interests to use chemical weapons knowing that there would be minimal consequences while he gets to use the threat of a such an attack to keep dissenters quiet. But nah... that can't be it. Also as a sidebar I am really pleased that an innocent man that gets unfairly blamed for his wife's murder in OJ Simpson is out of prison enjoying his multi-million NFL pension.

Archived