The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kovalchuk to return to NHL next season

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Was it a rule based on time since "retirement"?

It must have been something like that.

I just remember back before the season started there were lots of reports about Kovalchuk wanting to come back then.  The problem was, he could only sign with NJ.  But at that time, the reports also said that if he waited one more year he could sign wherever.  They didn't say why, just that he could.  And at the time, the thought was that Kovalchuk could use that as leverage in trying to get a deal out of NJ.

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

He should sign with WSH 

Hate to say this, but I feel Tryamkin will also love WSH as there is so many comrades for him. 

Yea Washington would be interesting for kovy lots of good desitinations for him though.

as for tryamkin not sure if that's what he wants but if that was he case we would trade his rights eventually 

11 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

He should sign with WSH 

Hate to say this, but I feel Tryamkin will also love WSH as there is so many comrades for him. 

WSH won't have enough cap space.  They have approximately 10.5 mill with 16 players signed. They will have to sign Carlsson, 4 RFAs plus a backup goalie. 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Would he not have to wait till July 1st?

Or pass thru waivers, having played in a Euro league this year...

He has to wait until 1 July - his rights are held by the New Jersey Devils until then.  They were going to orchestrate a sign and trade last summer but he decided to delay his return by a year citing the Olympics as one of the reasons.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wtf are the rangers doing?  And wtf is Kovalchuk doing?  I still think kovy will be a good player but what does he get for signing with the rangers?  Thought he wanted a cup...

The day the Rangers get rid of Sather is the day they can maybe start becoming competitive again.

I might have gone for him if the sum and term was right. Imo he would be a great foil for our young forwards. He is a big guy and he was top scorer in the KHL. What's not to like. Over 30 goals 10 times in his NHL career, twice over 50 goals.

He might even have attracted Tryamkin back here. :lol:

Great move by NYR

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I might have gone for him if the sum and term was right. Imo he would be a great foil for our young forwards. He is a big guy and he was top scorer in the KHL. What's not to like. Over 30 goals 10 times in his NHL career, twice over 50 goals.

He might even have attracted Tryamkin back here. :lol:

Great move by NYR

He turns 35 this month - the speed has increased significantly since the last time he played in the NHL.  If he stops playing for whatever reason before the end of his contract, his full cap hit will stay on the books because it's an age 35+ contract (re Datsyuk).

Archived