The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kovalchuk to return to NHL next season

Ilya Kovalchuk has denied reports that he has a deal in place with the Rangers and says he has yet to even talk to teams.

"I got a lot of friends who called to congratulate me," Kovalchuk said. "I answer: That's how great the press in Russia works, that I have already signed the contract, and the number of years, and the team... In fact, I have not had any talks with any team.”

“Everything must be considered. But before July 1 there is still a lot of time. My agent, family and I will sit, decide."

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ilya Kovalchuk has denied reports that he has a deal in place with the Rangers and says he has yet to even talk to teams.

"I got a lot of friends who called to congratulate me," Kovalchuk said. "I answer: That's how great the press in Russia works, that I have already signed the contract, and the number of years, and the team... In fact, I have not had any talks with any team.”

“Everything must be considered. But before July 1 there is still a lot of time. My agent, family and I will sit, decide."

Cue the Kovalchuk to Vancouver rumours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The following 9 teams have expressed various levels of interest in free agent Ilya Kovalchuk with the Red Wings making a big push, per Darren Dreger.

Detroit Red Wings
St. Louis Blues
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
New York Islanders
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings 
Boston Bruins
New York Rangers

Dreger also notes that the teams interested will probably be in double digits.

If SJ can find a way to grab both Kovy and JT they will solidify their spot in the West again. Cap-wise I do not see it as possible unless Kovy takes less, but never say never with Thornton coming off their books. They could also trade someone to free cap space too. My top 3 teams in order would be:

1. SJ (No real Russian connection, but just a hunch)

2. STL (Barbashev, Jaskin, Soshnikov, Tarasenko)

3. NYR (Buchnevich, Namestnikov)

3A. DAL (Rads, Nichushkin)

DET makes sense except they do not give egregious contracts and I am sure Kovy will want at least 3/8mil per.   

My guess is Kovy is a flop of a signing. He didn't even look that good at the Olympics. He has been playing and training in a leugue where Nigel Dawes and Linden Vey are top scorers. I hope one of our rivals sign him to a stupid multi year contract.

It's been a while since he last played in the NHL.  He is 35 so his cap hit will stay on their books for the full length of the contract regardless of whether he plays it out or not.  Teams will likely try to have as much of his salary as possible in performance bonuses.

Archived