The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Times Ahead Folks! (A look at our future)

Rush17

We have some exciting times head folks.  This season has been terrific for our young prospects. This includes Johnathan Dahlen (Player we got from Ottawa for Alex Burrows, Elias Pettersson (5th Overall Pick from 2017), Adam Gaudette (former 5th rounder), Olli Juolevi (5th Overall pick in 2016 and Lukas Jasek (former 6th round pick).  Enjoy these highlights from this season. Feel free to add and share your favourite clips!  Please check out the "prospect" section of the forum this offseason and cheer on our kids heading to Utica. Dahlen will be heading to Utica later this week after some rest.

Dahlen's goal:

Timra's win!

Mission Accomplished!

Team Photo:

Pettersson's emotions after finding out timra won

For those of you who do not know. Pettersson was linemates with Dahlen last season in Timra before he got promoted to the SHL this season.  

Pettersson's assist earlier in the day:

Pettersson wins it for Vaxjo! Heading to SHL Finals!

Elias Pettersson 4 Points to Set SHL Record for Points by a U20 Player

Elias Pettersson 

STATS:

Dahlen leads Timra to SHL Placement:

Pettersson heads into the SHL final as a PPG player:

Highlights:
Dahlen 2017-2018

Pettersson 2017-2018

My personal Fav Video of Pettersson:

Adam Gaudette Wins 2018 Hobey Baker Award as the top NCAA Player:

Adam Gaudette 2018-2019 Highlights

Olli Juolevi - Continues to play top pairing minutes on the 2nd best team in Finish hockey.  He currently is their PPQB and is having a strong season.  Unfortunately, due to several team injuries, TPS is struggling to get through this current round of play.

We have so many young kids on the way folks! let's get excited for the next generation of kids!  

Also Lukas Jasek a Canucks 6th round pick is dominating in Utica.  He recorded 6 points in his first 3 games last I checked!  Let us all get excited about our future!  

Go Canucks GO! Go Utica Go!!

Wheres my boy Brock!?

My choice for next years lines are

Leipsic-Pettersson-Brock

Goldy-Bo-Virtanen

Eriksson-Gaudette-Granlund

Gaunce-Sutter-Gagner

Reaves

Thats a pretty decent lineup. Will still end up near the bottom of the league but thats a lineup you can grow into and bring other stars like Dahlen, Lind, Gadj and MacEwen as you go

JB deserves such a big round of applause for how he's turned this team around! He truly doesn't get enough credit, because he's made a couple bad trades(Guddy) but he was well deserving of his contract extension!

Go Canucks Go!

7 minutes ago, EoH said:

So I don’t understand. Isn’t the SHL a league of there own kinda like the nhl? I don’t get how timra got promoted to the SHL. 

Im lost....

Believe they are the tier below their main league. So Timra is the Jr SHL league I believe.  Teams in that league that excel can challenge bottom teams in the SHL and get promoted.  

Dahlen was offered a spot on an SHL team but opted to stay with Timra to help them try and reach the SHL. After a 1-3 series start he helped power back and win the series. He is believed to be their teams MVP.  

I may have it slightly off but it's along those lines with Timra and the SHL. Please chime in if you know more.

I forgot to add Gaudette carried his team to a Beanpot championship as well. :) Such a bright future folks. All these guys will likely challenge for spots next fall.

52 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wheres my boy Brock!?

My choice for next years lines are

Leipsic-Pettersson-Brock

Goldy-Bo-Virtanen

Eriksson-Gaudette-Granlund

Gaunce-Sutter-Gagner

Reaves

Thats a pretty decent lineup. Will still end up near the bottom of the league but thats a lineup you can grow into and bring other stars like Dahlen, Lind, Gadj and MacEwen as you go

JB deserves such a big round of applause for how he's turned this team around! He truly doesn't get enough credit, because he's made a couple bad trades(Guddy) but he was well deserving of his contract extension!

Go Canucks Go!

Pettersson will not be the #1 center next year.  That's how Edmonton ruined RNH.

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pettersson will not be the #1 center next year.  That's how Edmonton ruined RNH.

Top 9 start is more likely I agree.  Likely playing top 6 by mid-season. Possibly on Horvat's wing by seasons end depending on the health of the team and performances of older youth. I fully suspect top line will be: Goldie/Bearcheese - Horvat - Boeser to start outside of any crazy offseason signings lol.  Pettersson will probably be a consistent top 6 forward in 2019-2020. He will have an opportunity if he is ready and producing.  Good thing about having space in the lineup!  We may see Dahlen sneak in and take top line spot duties early on tho. (if goldie/baer start off slow)

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You bet.  Horvat as Boeser will handle first line duties, the only way Pettersson will move up is if he's on the wing or he's just ridiculously good and earns that job.   Benning might sign one or two UFAs (Vanek?) to help ease these guys into it.  Hope Dahlen is lights out in Utica, and that Pettersson, Gaudette and Juolevi train like mad this summer....Green and Benning won't gift anyone ice time, they will have to earn it as part of their development process.  

My guess is that nobody will be taking top-line minutes from Leipsic on this roster.

He will be right there with Horvat and Boeser. 

I suspect that both Baer and Hutton will be soon traded, along with Tavev, but he might be traded during the season. 

Goal is still a serios question mark for my tastes, as is the Dcore. 

Horvat invited to team Canada.

Stecher is on Team Canada's radar.

Pettersson is expected to join Sweden in the World Championships.

Juolevi, Dahlen are possible candidates for their respective countries.

Pretty good representation from the Canucks if Horvat, Stecher, and Pettersson all make it in.  I would be tuning in to see Pettersson vs Horvat/Stech lol.  Be a fun way to enjoy the offseason and see whats in store!  Not sure if Pettersson has met Horvat in person yet.

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Horvat invited to team Canada.

Stecher is on Team Canada's radar.

Pettersson is expected to join Sweden in the World Championships.

Juolevi, Dahlen are possible candidates for their respective countries.

Pretty good representation from the Canucks if Horvat, Stecher, and Pettersson all make it in.  I would be tuning in to see Pettersson vs Horvat/Stech lol.  Be a fun way to enjoy the offseason and see whats in store!  Not sure if Pettersson has met Horvat in person yet.

Hoping Edler goes too.  Good opportunity to be a leader and take Pettersson under his wing a bit.

I expect next season to be a similar one to this one. Ups and downs with some of the young guys emerging as everyday NHL players (hopefully a couple pleasent Boeser-like surprises) and ultimately ending with good draft lottery odds. Hopefully Horvat can have an offensive breakout season playing alongside Boeser too. The new core will need a couple seasons together to gel before becoming competitive again. Ultimately, the future looks bright though!

4 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

There is an amazing team coming, it may not be next year or the year after that....but its coming.

I agree, but we have to remain aware that Benning has done little to solidify our future d, and we are relying heavily on Demko to grow into a top goalie. 

As good as our forward prospects appear, winning #1 oa notwithstanding, hes going to have to do some quick work on the blueline, and keep his fingers crossed for Demko.

I think his one ace up his sleeve is the sheer number of forward prospects we have who may become as high as 1st or 2nd liners.  We can only have so many on the team but the extras are assets.  Assets that can be moved for help elsewhere on the team.

In addition to the prospects mentioned, we also have a couple dark horse candidates on D who may very well pan out as very good players.

Matt Brassard (2017 7th round) was the 7th highest scoring OHL D this season and 4th in goals by defensemen. He was also probably top-3 in both categories in the second half of the season. He has size, physicality, leadership, and great offensive instincts. He’s been the straw the stirs the drink on Oshawa’s power play. And his skating and defensive awareness, which were early question marks, are vastly improved. He’s looking like a steal where he was drafted and a potential future member of our D corps.

Jack Rathbone (2017 4th round) owned the highest points/game among defensemen in New England Prep this season. And he’s now leading the D for the Cape Cod Whalers, a regional team that qualified for the USA Hockey Tier I National Tournament. Rathbone just had a monster game, scoring a hat trick and adding a primary assist in the 4-3 OT win to take Cape Cod to the semis and two wins from a national title. He’s an elite skater with high end offensive abilities and pretty underrated defense. He’ll be moving up to the college ranks with Harvard next season and is likely a few years away, but he’s definitely one to watch. Some pretty smart hockey people have said this kid is a first round level talent, and only fell to the 4th because of where he’s playing (prep school hockey).

48 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree, but we have to remain aware that Benning has done little to solidify our future d, and we are relying heavily on Demko to grow into a top goalie. 

As good as our forward prospects appear, winning #1 oa notwithstanding, hes going to have to do some quick work on the blueline, and keep his fingers crossed for Demko.

I think his one ace up his sleeve is the sheer number of forward prospects we have who may become as high as 1st or 2nd liners.  We can only have so many on the team but the extras are assets.  Assets that can be moved for help elsewhere on the team.

Good comments. Even guys who look very promising in Junior, the NCAA, the Euro leagues, and the AHL do not necessarily translate that performance to the NHL. The key is to have lots of good prospects. This comment has been made about low draft picks. In terms of NHL performance there is not much difference between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks. The main thing is just to have lots of picks, as with lottery tickets.

That said, I have to give credit to Benning and scouting staff, which seems to have done very well with the picks they have had on the basis of how those guys have done in the various pre-NHL leagues. But the NHL sample is still small with just Boeser and Virtanen as Benning picks who have played significant games at the NHL level and are still with the team.

I agree that the goalie position has not gotten as much attention as it should. This year I think the biggest single difference between the Canuck losing streaks and the end of season winning streak with the play of Markstrom. On many nights, the goalie is the most important guy on the ice and the team with the better goalie wins. But from a developmental perspective there is a lot of uncertainty with goalies and we are all sort of counting on Demko.  

There has been a lot of talk about the D and lack of top pairing or even top 4 prospects in the system, especially as Edler ages and Tanev has repeated injury problems. Maybe someone will take a big jump above their current development path next year. Sid quite rightly mentions Brassard and Rathbone as both have done very well given their draft position. But they are still longshots to make the NHL.

More significantly, chances are the Canucks pick up a high end D prospect in the 2018 draft and maybe add some additional D picks in lower rounds. Even if the Canucks get lucky in the lottery and get the 2nd or 3rd overall pick (where forwards are the consensus picks) they might trade down and get a D and one or more extra picks. I would favour that depending on how much they get.

One additional thing I like is that Green seems to be pretty good with developing young players. Young guys on the team made a lot of progress this year, especially late in the season. 

8 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Hate to be that guy but I personally prefer Mike Babcock's philosophy. I think there's still (tons of) pain coming. :sadno:

Hate to be that guy - ie to put things in context - but :rolleyes: - you're way too late with this stuff.

You quote Babcock - from 2015.  Not sure you remember where the Leafs were at that point - but to refresh - Kessel is still there, Phaneuf is still there, David fn Clarkson is still there,  Lupul Island has yet to be discovered, and the Leafs had been filling out their deluded roster with Canuck leftovers like David Booth and Mike Santorelli - who was their 5th highest scoring forward.

Nylander had never set foot on NHL ice.

Marner hadn't been drafted yet.

The Leafs hadn't won the lottery either.

Have a realistic look at the Leafs prospect pool in May of 2015 - when those comments were made.  If you're trying to be "real" by suggesting that is where this team is at this point, I'd recommend catching up on the past number of years of 'pain' - or familiarizing yourself with the youth in the system.

A bit more to the point - at that point the Leafs prospect pool not named Nylander was pretty much limited to Connor Brown.....and Brendan Leipsic.

The Babcock message is a bit late wadr.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I can't agree with this point for a number of reasons - or can agree with you in a sense, but point out that no team is an exception to your point.

First - projecting goaltenders years into the future is somewhat futile despite "potential" - it's a position that teams more frequently than any other address by 'other means' than drafting - ie acquiring proven NHL guys via trades (and the goaltender market is perenially an underpayment market, so it's not the least acquirable asset) - or by FA.

In addition, the team spent it's 64th/3rd round pick in the last draft on Dipietro - it's not really done adding / not really relying solely on one prospect to pan out.

Regardless, you can never really 'rely' on a future goaltender - it's the least projectable/predictable position.

If you're going to bank on a goaltender however, you may as well make it one like Demko.  Lots of teams would like to share that problem/uncertainty imo - and pretty much all of them are in the same boat where you simply can't take anyone in any team's system to the bank a number of years from now - or even assume their current starter will carry them that far forward.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

...Regardless, you can never really 'rely' on a future goaltender....

You raise a number of valid points, and I can't say I disagree with any of them. 

The point I was trying to make is that we dont know how Demko will pan out.  Hes a great prospect but still a prospect.  If he doesnt work out as planned, its another position which will need attention in some manner.  Its nice to have at least one more goalie prospect in Depietro but we know how long it takes to groom goalies so if Demko isnt the real deal we are likely stuck in goalie limbo for a while.  

Archived