The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big news

73 Percent

This might seem odd but I spend alot of my time cruising CDC and consider many of you my friends. We talk everyday sometimes more than my actual family or friends. 

That's why I wanted to share with you 

73 is going to be a daddy!

Mods please remove if need be. I'm just excited and wanted to share the news with my canuck family.

Congrats, 73!

Now get out and go fishing, take a 7 day hike and / or a long paddling trip, climb a mountain or two and get trashed with your friends as often as possible. Because once that kid pops out, all that freedom you enjoy is gone.

It's not bad, it's amazing, humbling and keeps you grounded. But life as you know it is about to change forever.

Responsibility becomes really &^@#ing real. Congrats and welcome to the club!

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Any of those who already have wee ones advice is much appreciated!

when you are going through the period of sleep depravation, remind yourself that whatever you and your partner are arguing about isn't as important as it seems. 

And enjoy the heck out of it, it goes really fast. 

29 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Any of those who already have wee ones advice is much appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you are going through the period of sleep depravation, remind yourself that whatever you and your partner are arguing about isn't as important as it seems. 

And enjoy the heck out of it, it goes really fast. 

Like Jimmy, best advice I have is to pick your battles. Try to remember that your ego means nothing compared to the health and wellness of your child. Put your child and your Wife, or baby Mama, before yourself and you'll all be better for it.

Get the nursery painted and crib set up before she hits the third trimester.

Stock your deep freeze with ready to bake (M&M or homecooked) meals. The first month is a total trainwreck and having food ready to go is important for your mental and physical self.

When you see and smell that little bundle for the first time you're gonna cry. You're now responsible for that little life infront of you, so do your best at everything you do. 

It's as easy as you make it, so stay light, enjoy those little moments because they are fleeting. Before you know it they're monsters, and their level of asshole is a mirror of how YOU treat the world.

Grats man, if you need help with a name just asked.  For starters a lot of people are going to ask if your naming after one of the Sedin twins, well why not both?

Danrik - Honestly it's perfect and 73% better than Heniel.

Congratulations!

There isn't much advice that'd I'd give that Jimmy and Lucky haven't already given. 

I'm having flashbacks to the first night home as new parents.  Our son slept great the night before at the hospital and wasn't having any of that a home.  After an exhausting labour my wife and I were wondering what the hell had we gotten ourselves into.  Heh well, we all know how tiring a labour can be for mom, but it's also very tiring for baby too.  Our son slept awesome at the hospital because he was exhausted.  The next night however, he finally realized he was no longer in his comfy cocoon, and was none too pleased.

So don't worry if the first night home goes about as well as the Canucks on lottery day.  It will get better.

OMG THIS IS FREAKING FANTASTIC NEWS!   Congratulations! 

An ice cube wrapped in a clean face cloth, smashed to bits that stick on the inside .... teether.  Must be supervised (I secured with an elastic, so supervision was mandatory).  It's the only thing that helped my kid's screaming.  Could really chomp down on it.

Also Sesame Street is a must.  Even though it's outdated, it's gold.  Mr. Rogers for hypnosis lol.  I swear to God, just the music at the beginning put my kid in a trance.

• -DLC- pinned this topic
3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Thanks for the tips guys and gals. Much appreciated. How many of you read books on this stuff prior to your first?

I personally did not, my wife read one about the stages of pregnancy and the 1st year of life (outlined roughly when a baby should be trying certain foods etc) and one on healthy sleep habits.  The diet stuff, if not sure, you could easily ask a doctor/nurse/trusted friend.  If you have the time/energy, informing yourself on healthy sleeping habits is never a bad thing.  Doesn't have to be an entire book but sleep is important and most people tend not to know as much about sleep as, say, diet.

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I did not ... just too much information out there so I relied on my doctor for the important stuff and winged was there for the rest.

Fixed for you Deb to give you credit ^_^  Really, being present is the most important thing.  You'd be surprised 73, how much comes naturally after that.

Archived