The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL, to Patterson asking Green; '' Travis, the life of an NHL coaches career can be short, when do you expect to be able to compete, to be competitive with this team?''

That dumb ass thinks he is asking tough questions... :picard:

Wasn't that Botchford? 

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

God that Sutter, Horvat, Edler, and Marky presser got tense.  I don't know if its just me but it appeared "it was sutter, alex, and marky vs bo at times".  Suts, edler, and marky kept it about "us as a leaders" and bo kept saying "i".  He would add in later "we have lots of guys but never commits to us as a group.  I am curious how much Bo's dad is coaching him through this. Trying to help him get the C.  

I recall a tv promo with bo and his dad where he went home to visit.  Bo's dad had worked on a bar top for him and his wife.  Bo came and ribbed him about the length of it.I believe that was the promo where his dad said " i think bo would be a great captain in the nhl".  I am really bothered by this.  Is it just me seeing this?

Interesting perspective.  I went back and listened to the video clip again, you might be reaching a bit in your observation.  I thought they all answered the questions that were directed at them, certainly didn't appear to me that there was any clique or us vs him responses.  I think Bo answered the questions about him directly and also referenced the leadership group as did Sutter and Edler.  

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Rather difficult when there's no prospects to bring in and the team has been at the top of the league the past three years in injuries, especially to key players.

Who said it is?  It started 4 years ago, and now the major transition is taking place as the core becomes the young players.

Yes - huge difference in the number and quality of young players who are NHL ready and who are approaching NHL readiness.   Extreme difference in fact - and realistically, we got to see Boeser, Leipsic, Goldobin, Motte, Gaunce, Gaudette, Virtanen, Stecher, Sautner - some more than others - but many of them with extended NHL auditions, and many of them performing quite well and showing signs that they're ready - or near ready - to command NHL roster spots.

The idea that the team is now abandoning competitiveness because the Sedins are retiring strikes me as fairly absurd.

They may not have two new young players specifically emerge to score 100 pts next year (on the other hand they might - Boeser certainly was tracking towards a majority share of that kind of total - and this group has a handful of players that could contribute to that deficit - specifically between Leipsic, Gaudette, Goldobin possibly Pettersson, Virtanen it's not inconceivable that they combine to uptick on the less than 50 pts combined that they got from young forwards not named Brock Boeser this year.  Clearly it's not inconceivable that they get 30ish points each from three or four of those players.

And just as importantly - they should be every bit - if not harder to play against than they were this year.  Love the Sedins to no end, but they're neither fleet of foot, nor are they anywhere near the players without the puck that they are with it on their sticks.

Just as integral - the Sedins finished this season with 74 and 74.1% offensive zone starts.  All those zone starts provided by the rest of their team-mates - a young group - that will now be able to step into those opportunities to a greater extent.  And then there is the 3 minutes of powerplay time opening up as well for a group of forwards like Horvat, Boeser, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen - Gaudette/Pettersson? - Baertschi? - essentially a new top unit and a second unit that didn't see those opportunities this year.  Virtanen for example saw 17 seconds of powerplay time a night.  Goldobin less than a minute. 

I'm looking forward to it.  I liked the tone that the management group set - of not looking to run out and spend their flexibility.  The difference in the past number of years - of the need to bring in placeholders and more veteran presence - was in large part due to the general lack of readiness in the young group.  I think the differences there and the evolution to this point should be fairly clear.   I'd be satisfied if they only added a veteran faceoff / shutdown depth center to the group to slightly enable/shelter a few of the young centers (enable them to potentially remain at wing until they're ready for an NHL center role).  Otherwise I'm thrilled to see this group take the next step - I think a fair number of them look ready at this point - and with a strong summer, they could potentially be ready to fill out this roster.  The advantage of limiting signings to depth guys on shorter terms is that you don't have to commit roster spots to them if they are outcompeted.  If you sign top 6 forwards and they lose their jobs to players in your system, then you've added another layer of cap committed to guys not playing a core role - and on terms that will be running from this summer for likely 5 or 6 more years into the future.  I'm glad management is approaching free agency with lots of caution and with a view to keeping flexibility and opportunity for the young talent they've brought in.

Re: free agency. (Linden)

"We're not going to replace the Sedins leadership in that locker room or their produciton on the ice and I think rushing out and trying to do that I thnk is - I think we have to be very careful with how we approach that.  I think that as Travis said we're going to look from within for our young players to take a step with more opportunity.  Certainly if we can figure out a way that we can support that and bring in people that can support their growth we're going to do that, but there is various ways we feel we're going to get better - (but the whole package is not replaceable).    Very likely we could be several million dollars below the cap."

Gaudette - Green's excited about his five game sample.  Very intelligent game over 200ft.

Virtanen - took a significant step - dominated at times over the past 15 games.  Needs to come back and continue to improve.  He's grasped a lot of things.

Goldobin - put a lot of effort into playing a quicker, harder game.  If he comes back 20% stronger and quicker....4 or 5 months for him and other players to put the work in ("or you have to go by them".)

"I want to build a culture of what is expected - and the points will take care of themselves.  You're not going to sit here and just say ok we're going to replace 100 pts - that's easier said than done.  Those are HOF players - watch them run a powerplay."

"We want to be harder to play against.....that's how we're going to end up winning."

34 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL, to Patterson asking Green; '' Travis, the life of an NHL coaches career can be short, when do you expect to be able to compete, to be competitive with this team?''

That dumb ass thinks he is asking tough questions... :picard:

Yeah, what a dumbass - attempting to get a coach to predict a timeline - "a plan" - for a playoff birth - in a league as competitive, and with as much parity as the NHL currently has - and with as young - with that much potential variance between growing quickly into a highly compeititive group - or being overmatched in the shorter run.   Essentially a relatively mindless question - and not surprising given the source.

Doesn't get it.

That said - one of the other regulars (whose name is slipping my mind at the moment) - asked some good questions of all of them (the guy that asked the Sedins the first question.....).

That the Sedins sat down with Benning and indicated fairly clearly that they were in all likelihood going to hang them up this year - gave Benning a good opportunity to expand his options/opportunities at the deadline - to adding a couple young forwards in Leipsic and Motte (and not simply pickzz lol) - that not only had short term opportunites in the wake of injuries but also deepen that pool of NHL ready youth they can draw from next year.

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

God that Sutter, Horvat, Edler, and Marky presser got tense.  I don't know if its just me but it appeared "it was sutter, alex, and marky vs bo at times".  Suts, edler, and marky kept it about "us as a leaders" and bo kept saying "i".  He would add in later "we have lots of guys but never commits to us as a group.  I am curious how much Bo's dad is coaching him through this. Trying to help him get the C.  

I recall a tv promo with bo and his dad where he went home to visit.  Bo's dad had worked on a bar top for him and his wife.  Bo came and ribbed him about the length of it.I believe that was the promo where his dad said " i think bo would be a great captain in the nhl".  I am really bothered by this.  Is it just me seeing this?

I did not get that at all.

The press guys did sort of single out Bo & ask him questions related to being a key leader? They also sorta intimated, asked Edler if he should or should not have a letter? Sutter, Edler, also were clear that they needed a group of leaders. And yes a letter meant something. The group still meant more. One even said something to the effect, only one or two guys ''means nothing!'' I do believe the press needled a bit, to see if guys wanted a letter, or to be leaders?  Edler is always a bit nervous speaking. But to a man I felt they all put the onus on all to be leaders. 

In particular I liked Brandon Sutters responses! He was asked what he felt about his role?  And he said ''he liked it!'' He knew he was going to get some of the harder match ups. But also to front the identity of the team as being more competitive, and take on the coaches challenge to be harder to play against. Also that they were excited by the challenge of continuing to do that? He said the entire team was trying to take on the coaches challenge.

As for Bo, he just sort of deflected it back. He said he wanted to be humble, appreciate Danny & Hank, and things like that.        

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Just as integral - the Sedins finished this season with 74 and 74.1% offensive zone starts.  All those zone starts provided by the rest of their team-mates - a young group - that will now be able to step into those opportunities to a greater extent.  And then there is the 3 minutes of powerplay time opening

That is a great stat. And a great point.

Not that it is easy to just step into a scorers role in the NHL?  But it is, I am sure, quite harder to step into roles where you are defensively accountable, defensively relied upon!  So to me, it should be refreshing / re-assuring that players like Goldobin have already been schooled, and held accountable to being good 200 foot players  If they are going to make it?  And now that they are closer, maybe they can also get some of the O'zone starts and some points to help their confidence...

But they will still have to play harder, faster, be competitive to win their spots!

A history lesson from one of Vancouvers ''other'' teams; who remembers when Bryant ''Big Country'' Reaves? Who was propped up into a key role by coach / GM Stu, given all the key offensive minutes & scored 20 points a game?  But was fat, slow, could not defend & commanded an $80 mill contract. Then nobody else wanted to be here, or be on his team.  And suddenly we had no team?      

I know, I know, it was not that simple.  I am exaggerating to make a point.  But I like what Travis Green is doing!   

Really liked the feedback from all those players - but particularly Gaudette as a guy who we've seen the least of.

Funny that his first shift was as a Boston native, covering a guy from Vancouver who helped bring a Cup to Boston.

Someday Gaudette will turn the tables as a Boston native helping bring a Cup to Vancouver.  The other common denominator....Benning.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, -AJ- said:

Weirdly enough, this season feels like a success.

And as strange as it might seem, I think it's for good reason.

To a player, with maybe one or two exceptions, it's hard to be disappointed with the performance - or development - of anyone.

We can dwell on some regression for Hutton, or not being thrilled with whomever - Gagner?

But really, for the most part when guys were healthy they performed well.  The team may have been overmatched at times, but that was unavoidable.

When the team as a whole was healthy it was a threat to win every night.  They simply ran into a volume of injuries that no team could sustain.

What really mattered though - guys like Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, took very promising steps forward.

And their prospects not yet in the NHL simply killed it at a level the franchise has never seen - from Pettersson to Gaudette, Dahlen, Demko,, LInd, Juolevi...Lockwood. 

A couple UFA signings brought back a couple more promising NHL ready players - high end offensive talent and high end shutdown talent in Leipsic and Motte.  Pouliot also had some stretches where he looked capable of being a fixture in the future.

Most of the rest of the group showed well imo **when healthy"" = great signs from Sutter, Horvat, Tanev as could be expected, Edler, Gudbranson really started to gain some footing,    MDZ was solid in stepping up and a great complementary D imo.

The slightly graduated younger guys - Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Gaunce - had some injury setbacks but nothing of concern regarding their games when they were healthy, not unlike the remaining veteran group.  Markstrom had a very good season under the circumstances imo, and aside from early goals in games performed very well, relatively consistently for a first season starter.

Of course - as a sum of it all - tank nation gets a top 10 pick.  So we can debate about how good or bad the 'underlying' team truly is - but both sides of the 'divide' got things they wanted out of this season. 

As painful as it must have been for proud guys like the Sedins to struggle through another bottom 10 finish - it ended in a way that was one of the greatest high water marks of the franchise.   Their last home game was priceless.

So, as strange as it may seem after a 'disappointing' season - aside from players like the Sedins not getting an opportunity to go out on a higher note in terms of the team's achievements overall, there is the flipside that the tail end of this season provided great incentive for a very talented young emerging group.

Hard to be too disappointed in the season, really, particularly with a draft also approaching where the team is well positioned to add - perhaps a RHD - that could be another key part of their future.

13 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Hutton got torn apart, but Green is making it known that he expects much more from him. Hutton should start taking this seriously or else he'll be out of the league in a few years.

Green also said he thought Hutton could, think he mentioned if he improved his skating & his fitness 20%;

He could get 20 points, maybe 25 even 30...

He hit him, no question, with the accountability sack!  Mentioned Pouliot could improve as well!  That a lot of players had to improve.  Also. ''everybody knows we have to get more offense from our D!''  He also laid room that he believed in what he could do if Hutton put the effort in?

2 hours ago, Provost said:

You entirely missed the point.

We have been told since this regime came in

Do you realize that in 9 or 11 pages; you have extracted the most venom and disdain for what is going on from these interviews?

They said they were going to be younger. They hinted they may not buy their way out of the need to develop.  They talked about commiting to young guys if they earned it? That they were going to have to earn it, and Travis would decide that.  

What exactly different did you want to hear? Aside from something different 4 years ago...

I really like that Aqualinni recognized our style of play;

''It will happen. Late in the season we started to see the kind of team we are becoming—young, fast, gritty, all out hockey.''

I don't like that he intimated that a competitive step might be right around the corner. He mentioned NJ & Colorado, jumping to the playoff's this year?

I suppose it is who he is, how he got successful that leads him to believe we can get there next year? But I prefer managements current, and newly refreshing, more guarded approach? Recognizing that we are losing both leadership & 100 points from our roster to replace in the Twins. And that, as exciting as our prospects are, that they have to come in better. And that Green suggests our current players have to come in better if we are to improve?

I hate to be the guy who mentions it; but NJ has not one, but two first overall picks on their team. Colorado two. We do have a lot of talent on the way? Jersey in particular made strides not specifically because they had those first overall guys? But because over 4 years, they have also become an extremely FAST and athletic team. Yes Hall & Hischier. But also they added Coleman, Bratt, Butcher, then Grabner at the deadline. They back teams up! 

We have Virtanen with top level wheels? Gaudette is quick, Leipsic as well.  But a bit of ways before we can suggest teams will have teams on their heels? Pettersson is evasive, has a great motor. Him and Boeser appear to have the eye & instinct to make a play. A wicked shot to punish teams for affording even small opportunities!  Some other guys are promising, Lind, Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko.  But they have to arrive, and its also a caution to suggest they coach will have to craft a game style around their skills?

They are faster than the Twins. But not fast like Jersey. We have work to do still.  And even Juolevi arriving will not make us top class scorers from the back end? We were dead last in goals from D I believe...

Team speed, some skill & speed in particular on D, some edge to our game are all required. 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Do either of you have any interest in coaching, management, scouting.....

"President".  

Will you join Daniel in running a marathon?

"I'll beat him."

G.O..A.T.

Do either of you have any interest in coaching, management, scouting.....

"President". 

Linden ;) :

giphy.gif

On 09/04/2018 at 3:36 AM, -AJ- said:

Weirdly enough, this season feels like a success.

I agree.

I think it was having better players and our youngster being a year older/more experienced. This allowed TG to play a more structured uptempo game from last season. We had better cover for injuries too but still short of what we need imo. 

I also think if we had had Miller in goal we would have got 3 or 4 places higher.

8 hours ago, skategal said:

Interesting perspective.  I went back and listened to the video clip again, you might be reaching a bit in your observation.  I thought they all answered the questions that were directed at them, certainly didn't appear to me that there was any clique or us vs him responses.  I think Bo answered the questions about him directly and also referenced the leadership group as did Sutter and Edler.  

Agreed, I didn't see anything unusual either. We all turn into Human Resources Psychs every year when these videos appear.

Archived