The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Weirdly enough, this season feels like a success.

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The kids ripping it up in their respective leagues, Boeser being even better than expected, the torch being passed, Virtanen finally getting it.

Lots of positives to take away from this season compared to last.  We've hit rock bottom and are starting to climb again.

16 hours ago, Jam126 said:

I mean, they did better than I expected which was 31st.

There are two separate components to consider: the actual Canuck team and the prospects.

Being honest, the Canuck team was worse than I expected -- not a lot worse, but worse. I don't mind that as I did not expect the team to make the playoffs and, by finishing lower, we get higher drafts picks.

However, the prospects are a lot better than I expected. At the beginning of the season if someone had said that Gaudette would win the Hobey Baker, that Petterrsson would lead the SHL in scoring, and that Dahlen would lead his team to the SHL, not many people would have believed it. Even 1 out of 3 would be a stretch, let alone all three of those accomplishments. And Juolevi did better that I expected and other prospects such as Lind, Demko, Jasek, and Gadjovich have also done well -- maybe about as expected with no significant disappointments.

And, even though the big team had another bad year, some key young guys: Boeser, Horvat and Virtanen all did well. Boeser and Virtanen made more progress than expected and Horvat was on track with continued improvement. 

So, the big team was disappointing but the prospects were much better than expected.

Now we need to see the prospects translate that success to the NHL. If Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, and Juolevi can make the team and transition as well as Boeser did this year, the team should be a lot better next year and, more importantly, finally be on an upward trajectory.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

These posts seem to indicate that the Sedins are not giving Horvat a ringing endorsement to be the next captain. First quote they say they will not throw out any names for the next captain but then go on to mention Sutter, Edler and Tanev.......hmmm.

The second comment says nice things about Bo but their comment seems to be intentionally devoid of mentioning leadership attributes. Very strange.

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Travis Green - Trevor Linden - Jim Benning

Next up: The Players

Hank and Danny for the final time.

Sutter - Horvat - Edler - Markstrom 

Virtanen - Stecher - Del Zotto -  Gagner

Gudbranson - Baertschi - Tanev

Please note Brock was unavailable at home seeing a doctor for his taped up wrist. They wantcto make sure he's 100% for next season.

Stay tuned for more videos as they become available.

:). Special thanks to @AlwaysACanuckFan for providing us tweets as the press conferences were under way!  

Anyone else find it interesting that certain players were not included? Eriksson was supposed to sit with Tanev, Baertschi and Gudbranson

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

These posts seem to indicate that the Sedins are not giving Horvat a ringing endorsement to be the next captain. First quote they say they will not throw out any names for the next captain but then go on to mention Sutter, Edler and Tanev.......hmmm.

The second comment says nice things about Bo but their comment seems to be intentionally devoid of mentioning leadership attributes. Very strange.

Maybe management, and (retired) players avoid Bo's name as next captain because he's the only and clear choice?  They are likely waiting until next season to announce this, and I'd be shocked if Bo, being part of the next young core, is not the Captain.  

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The media pressed pretty hard on Horvat as their successors. If you watch the video one of the final questions asked if he had the qualities you want in a captain. That's when they said the even keeled stuff. 

Their first go too was Suts, Alex then Gags, Tanev, MDZ. ( In that order if I recall correctly )

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

Anyone else find it interesting that certain players were not included? Eriksson was supposed to sit with Tanev, Baertschi and Gudbranson

Lots of grumpy faces except the Twins.  I wonder why?  

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Added Green, Trevor, and Jim's video of presser to main post. Will add rest as they become available for easy access.

Thanks

As usual, I like Green's comments a lot, was fairly happy with Linden's comments, and was a bit disappointed by Benning's comments.

Linden seems more committed than Benning to the youth movement and I was glad to hear him say that the team might be significantly below the cap next year. That is what I want. I want to see the young guys play and develop. I don't want more expensive stop-gap UFAs. Linden keeps emphasizing patience. Bringing in expensive veteran UFAs is the opposite of patience. It is an attempted  quick fix.

I would have liked to hear Benning say that, barring great opportunities (eg. Tavares wants to come to Vancouver) we do not expect to make significant UFA acquisitions this summer. When pressed on whether he would make a commitment to the young guys, Benning emphasized that it is up to the young guys to earn spots in camp. But camp comes after the UFA season. If the team has signed expensive UFAs in the summer, those guys will be on the team and will be taking up spots. And they are not easy to trade.

Travis emphasized the importance of getting improvement through development of young players. They have to be better next year than they were this year. He was very honest about Goldobin and Hutton, which I appreciated. And infusions new young guys will help (Pettersson, Gaudette, maybe Juolevi, Dahlen).

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe management, and (retired) players avoid Bo's name as next captain because he's the only and clear choice?  They are likely waiting until next season to announce this, and I'd be shocked if Bo, being part of the next young core, is not the Captain.  

I think most of us would be shocked but I just find the Sedin comments strange.

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

There may be more im not sure. That is all that's available at this time. I was listening on 650 at work here and they skipped the player interviews after hank and danny. I'm going to have to watch them all when I get home this Afternoon. Does anyone know if any more are missing?  I'm a tad surprised Nilsson is no where to be seen.

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Thanks

As usual, I like Green's comments a lot, was fairly happy with Linden's comments, and was a bit disappointed by Benning's comments.

Linden seems more committed than Benning to the youth movement and I was glad to hear him say that the team might be significantly below the cap next year. That is what I want. I want to see the young guys play and develop. I don't want more expensive stop-gap UFAs. Linden keeps emphasizing patience. Bringing in expensive veteran UFAs is the opposite of patience. It is an attempted  quick fix.

I would have liked to hear Benning say that, barring great opportunities (eg. Tavares wants to come to Vancouver) we do not expect to make significant UFA acquisitions this summer. When pressed on whether he would make a commitment to the young guys, Benning emphasized that it is up to the young guys to earn spots in camp. But camp comes after the UFA season. If the team has signed expensive UFAs in the summer, those guys will be on the team and will be taking up spots. And they are not easy to trade.

Travis emphasized the importance of getting improvement through development of young players. They have to be better next year than they were this year. He was very honest about Goldobin and Hutton, which I appreciated. And infusions new young guys will help (Pettersson, Gaudette, maybe Juolevi, Dahlen).

I like your post a lot. i think Jim and Trevor are equally on the kids first approach now. Jim even said so on tv last week. I just think Trevor is better at portraying his message. 

Jim mentioned last week he wants to add support players for the kids.  I believe Evander Kane may fit that bill but they said the term, $$, and character need to all be allignment. To me that's saying hey Evander we like you but this is what's needed.

I'm glad Hutton is saying all the right things. Let's hope he responds. Green is very tough on the kids and i think it's helping some of the guys. Hutton seemed to happy go lucky and that has changed.  He's here for business now. 

Just now, Rush17 said:

There may be more im not sure. That is all that's available at this time. I was listening on 650 at work here and they skipped the player interviews after hank and danny. I'm going to have to watch them all when I get home this Afternoon. Does anyone know if any more are missing?  I'm a tad surprised Nilsson is no where to be seen.

Same for Gaunce, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte, Pouliot, Gaudette. I understand pending UFAs like Dowd, Archibald and even Boucher not being involved. But the others are head scratchers, Boeser is in Minnesota getting his wrist checked out so that one makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I think most of us would be shocked but I just find the Sedin comments strange.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think they want to be painted into a corner just because there is only 1 young player.  I love how this organization refuses to cave to the media and they stick to their plan. Too me it sounds like Sutter or Alex are the twins preference. But they can't come outright and say it. They understand it's management and greens call.

Archived