The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

48 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

These posts seem to indicate that the Sedins are not giving Horvat a ringing endorsement to be the next captain. First quote they say they will not throw out any names for the next captain but then go on to mention Sutter, Edler and Tanev.......hmmm.

The second comment says nice things about Bo but their comment seems to be intentionally devoid of mentioning leadership attributes. Very strange.

I caught that too, but maybe it's just the Sedins trying to be sneaky lol They probably burned into their brain "Name anyone else, but don't mention Horvat if the new captaincy comes up". lol

I like that the Sedins are still going to "be around". I'm sure they'll drop in to visit the boys, maybe go for a skate, etc. Just because they're no longer officially on the roster anymore, I think they'll still play a role with the team once in a while. So, looks like they'll end up meeting Pettersson and Dahlen, and what a great effect this should have on the two Swede prospects.

I also feel that whenever Green speaks, it's the truth, whether it's good or not so good. I really like that.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

didn't know that, its been quite a while since i saw them play, used to be a much bigger deal. 

I mean, if they were a top team I'm sure they'd pull a good crowd but even then I feel like people would be more inclined to see a higher level of hockey. The NLL Saskatchewan Rush have an average of 14900 people in attendance (capacity 15195). They bring such a huge crowd 100% because of the awesome atmosphere. Most of the people in attendance don't even know all the rules to the game.

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Appreciate that. I missed that tweet :). Utica is going to be fun to watch. Dahlen going later this week. Possibly Olli and Petrus Palmu.  Gadjovich possibly.  We are going to have a lot of kids play important roles. 

Props to Sautner for having such a good stint here. Really grew fond of him. Hope to see him back up sometime next season.

Does anyone know where Granny was? I don't recall seeing him in a presser? They just scratch him and Gaunce because they missed so much time?

Granlund played as many games as Baertschi.  He made the trip to Edmonton with the other injured but was just not part of the presser today.  They were also missing Eriksson which is more surprising re his contract and veteran status.  

They seem to have scratched the guys who will likely be fighting for spots next year.  Gaunce is probably not guaranteed a roster spot next season.  Did anyone catch an explanation as to why he was scratched in 2 of the last 4 games including the final game of the season.

Oh I really liked Hutton's presser.  :) That's the motivation I want to see.

He starts @ 3:15 mark

Thata boy hutty! 

I'm wondering if the comments Danny and Hank made about the rookies the other year might of been about Ben Hutton as well.  Not taking the job serious enough etc. 

He seems all serious now. I like it. Have a good off season and come back transformed and a better player. 

Our biggest concern ourside questionable Goaltending has been our d core.  If Hutton, Pouliot, and Stech can all make big jumps our D core could be a lot better. A fully healthy guddy seems intriguing too.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Granlund played as many games as Baertschi.  He made the trip to Edmonton with the other injured but was just not part of the presser today.  They were also missing Eriksson which is more surprising re his contract and veteran status.  

They seem to have scratched the guys who will likely be fighting for spots next year.  Gaunce is probably not guaranteed a roster spot next season.  Did anyone catch an explanation as to why he was scratched in 2 of the last 4 games including the final game of the season.

I'm speculating on Gaunce. Think it was his foot speed. He seemed really slow after returning from that foot injury was it?  

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Thanks

As usual, I like Green's comments a lot, was fairly happy with Linden's comments, and was a bit disappointed by Benning's comments.

Linden seems more committed than Benning to the youth movement and I was glad to hear him say that the team might be significantly below the cap next year. That is what I want. I want to see the young guys play and develop. I don't want more expensive stop-gap UFAs. Linden keeps emphasizing patience. Bringing in expensive veteran UFAs is the opposite of patience. It is an attempted  quick fix.

I would have liked to hear Benning say that, barring great opportunities (eg. Tavares wants to come to Vancouver) we do not expect to make significant UFA acquisitions this summer. When pressed on whether he would make a commitment to the young guys, Benning emphasized that it is up to the young guys to earn spots in camp. But camp comes after the UFA season. If the team has signed expensive UFAs in the summer, those guys will be on the team and will be taking up spots. And they are not easy to trade.

Travis emphasized the importance of getting improvement through development of young players. They have to be better next year than they were this year. He was very honest about Goldobin and Hutton, which I appreciated. And infusions new young guys will help (Pettersson, Gaudette, maybe Juolevi, Dahlen).

Don't know James, but somehow I like the message sent by Benning to the youngsters. 

They have to work hard to earn their spot. Same way as they try to make Hutton improve... and the way they have made Virtanen and Goldobin improve. Tough love, survival of the fittest, but you want to push them to the max...

At least thats what I hope Benning is trying to achieve.

20 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The twins probably feel most strongest about Edler, but at the same time, if they were in favour of Bo, it's entirely possible that they are avoiding mentioning him to prevent putting pressure on him during the off-season.  Although they've stressed that leadership isn't based on the letter on their chest, the pressure the letter holds is something that unprepared players can crumble under.

If the intention is to promote Bo as captain, the best way to go about it is to ease him into it, and not just toss him to the vultures that our sports "media" have consistently demonstrated to be.

Especially not right after the season just ended. Whoever the next captain is they sure dont need a summer of Sedin leadership comparisons, sky high expectations, and general conversation about whether or not they are the right choice.

My personal feeling (based on years of Benning's clear belief in and contract valuations for "glue guys" among other things) is that Sutter will be captain, Gudbranson and Bo will wear A's. 

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Edler, Tanev, etc are part of the leadership group too but neither should be wearing a letter. Edler might be the most boring person ever to listen to speak and Tanev always looks like he met his pot dealer right before the interview lol.

Totally agree.  Edler had a good season compared to the last few but he still seems to have zero pulse.  I think a captain needs some edge.

well so many on here are making such a big deal about a possible captain

trying to read into what players and management are saying

but refuse to accept the message that is being sent that it is not so important to the team or to the room

and more important to the media and fans

so maybe try not to read into what is coming from the team

they do not want to really deal with this issue or elevate its importance

because it is less important of an issue then you want it to be

I've always been on board with giving the C to Horvat and really felt he deserved it for next year and to be honest I wanted the Sedins here for that year to help mentor Horvat with the C. Although I have changed my mind on giving him the C right now, and reason why is because I feel he puts a lot of pressure on himself already to try and carry this team and we saw a bit of that this year how when things weren't going his way he really got frustrated because he felt he wasn't doing enough or helping the team and it was weighing him down a bit. I think giving him the C now might put to much pressure on him on top of the other pressure he already puts on himself. I'd like to see him play a couple more years without the C or at least next year and see how he handles the pressure without the Sedins and let him just concentrate on "his game" first, and get to the level where he's really comfortable being a complete player, not saying he's not because he is a complete player but to the point that it doesn't affect him in a game. Horvat will be a C on this team one day no question there, but he's only 23 he's still growing and maturing as a human being and I don't think we should add that pressure onto him yet give him a year or 2 to really find his game and feel comfortable with his game, and once he's at that level and hopefully by then this team is a winning team and a better atmosphere for the players then look at giving Horvat the C.

As poorly as this season went, I am feeling positive about next season, even if the Canucks have another poor statistical season.  There is hope in the pipeline and potential for some of that hope to actually be in the NHL next season.

Regarding Bo and the captaincy, I think he should get an A next season.  It could be Edler's final season in Vancouver so I'm not sure if he will get the C but I would be fine with Sutter or Guddy getting the C before it eventually goes to Bo.  I don't see the Canucks adding players who would be contenders for the C in the next few years (with no offence meant to guys like Gaudette, Pettersson or Dahlen but they're also quite young and have yet to prove themselves in the NHL - this comment is primarily about FAs).

I'm very curious about how active management will be this summer.  There's potential for the movement of some roster players, including some of the RFAs, but management will also have to replace those guys if they do that while simultaneously building internal competition and depth for the possible incoming top prospects.

Looking forward to the draft lottery and the draft!

36 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

Hutton looks way heavy.
Greener doesn't lie.

his under chin says it all.  I know he's got a baby face but that isn't normal for someone super fit.  Glad to hear hes going to work with a track trainer. Thats how the twins train maybe that will help him out.

I wonder how much of Hutton's struggles this season were due (to some degree) to the change in coaches and adjusting to different coaching expectations. 

Hutton barely spent any time in Utica under Green before making the big club. And there are a few young guys on the team that Green is already familiar with - Virtanen, Gaunce, Archie, Goldobin, Sautner, even Baer and Biega.

Makes complete sense if Green didn't know what he had in Hutton and felt the need to hold him to a higher standard. Especially if Hutton did get a bit too comfortable under Willie. 

Wonder if Green's mentality was more of ... I don't really know this kid, he made the club under Willie but I'm not gifting him minutes, he's got to prove himself to me that he belongs.

Interesting that both Hutton and Stecher spent 4 games each in Utica with Green and both played for Willie. Although Stecher's production also fell off from his first year with Willie, it seems he's adapted better as a pro (mentally and work-ethic wise) than Hutton. 

Both need to be better imo. Hutton knows what he needs to do this summer and has the right attitude to get better. 

Sven Baertschi and his interview about the injury is what kind of worried me the most out of these interviews. His voice literally sounded so depressing almost like he was going to cry, of course it was a disappointing season for him due to injuries, but the way he addressed his shoulder injury and says it's long term didn't sound promising for his future and I think he's really worried about his future or if he will ever fully recover, just didn't look promising and that worries me a bit.

God that Sutter, Horvat, Edler, and Marky presser got tense.  I don't know if its just me but it appeared "it was sutter, alex, and marky vs bo at times".  Suts, edler, and marky kept it about "us as a leaders" and bo kept saying "i".  He would add in later "we have lots of guys but never commits to us as a group.  I am curious how much Bo's dad is coaching him through this. Trying to help him get the C.  

I recall a tv promo with bo and his dad where he went home to visit.  Bo's dad had worked on a bar top for him and his wife.  Bo came and ribbed him about the length of it.I believe that was the promo where his dad said " i think bo would be a great captain in the nhl".  I am really bothered by this.  Is it just me seeing this?

Archived