The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 World Hockey Championships

Nilsson saves....Swedes win the shootout!    Anders Nilsson played very well and after having the first goal in the shootout beat him, he was solid the rest of the way.   It is so freakin' loud here!   Swiss played very well and were deserving to be here.   

This was a very good tournament overall.   Will be drinking with the Swedes tonight! 

5 hours ago, Time Lord said:

McDavid - A team

Barzal, ROR, Parayko, Ekblad, Schwartz - B team

Everyone else - C or D team

Goalies - F team :P

So C team seems fair.

With that said, I agree with you. I wasn't taking anything away from what Switerzerland accomplished and I agree that they're getting closer to the big teams. Canada's C team is a strong roster and Switzerland beat them, fair and square.

How are ROR and Barzal B team when Chris Kunitz was good enough to be in the Olympic team in Sochi?

Directorate Awards

Best Goaltender: Frederik Andersen (DEN)

Best Defenceman: John Klingberg (SWE)

Best Forward: Sebastian Aho (FIN)

Media All-Star Team

Goaltender: Anders Nilsson (SWE)

Defencemen: Adam Larsson (SWE) - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (SWE)

Forwards: Rickard Rakell (SWE) - Patrick Kane (USA) - Sebastian Aho (FIN)

MVP - Patrick Kane

6 hours ago, mll said:

The other leagues also have a schedule.  Their season already ended in April and they start again early September.  It's up to the Canadian federation and the US one to pressure the NHL to adjust the schedule to the other leagues in the world.   Most NHL owners probably don't even want their players to participate re the risk of injury. 

True, but I think these tourneys should pander to the best league, not the lesser leagues.

6 hours ago, drdeath said:

They did in 2006 and almost did save for a shootout in 2010. Swiss goalies always have the game of their lives against Canada. 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Switzerland of course, and they very nearly pulled it out against Sweden today.

24 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

True, but I think these tourneys should pander to the best league, not the lesser leagues.

Best on best is the Olympics but the NHL owners decided to take that away.  

It's not best on best but every team are subject to the same conditions re roster constructions with every team missing key NHLers.

The Canucks' last game was April 7 and the Worlds was only a month later.  Starting the Worlds even further back doesn't work for them either.  NHLers can be added as the tournament advances up to the 22 skater/3 goalie limit - it allows teams who exit in the 2nd round to join.  Nashville sent 7 players.  

The NHL schedule is already 82 games - the playoffs can add up to 28 games. Then add 10 games at the Worlds - that would make for such a short summer to recuperate.  Not sure that guys who went to the finals would still want to participate either.  So many players also declined because they were exhausted or had injuries from the long season.  The best on best option is really just the Olympics.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

The best on best option is really just the Olympics.  

You know that, I know that, many, many people know that; unfortunately the people that run the league don't care or are too afraid of damage to a player. They should instead, be looking at the increased exposure, advertising and merchandising. Also having your player around the nation team caliber players is a good thing, your guy will come back a better player.

Short sighted management.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Best on best is the Olympics but the NHL owners decided to take that away.  

It's not best on best but every team are subject to the same conditions re roster constructions with every team missing key NHLers.

The Canucks' last game was April 7 and the Worlds was only a month later.  Starting the Worlds even further back doesn't work for them either.  NHLers can be added as the tournament advances up to the 22 skater/3 goalie limit - it allows teams who exit in the 2nd round to join.  Nashville sent 7 players.  

The NHL schedule is already 82 games - the playoffs can add up to 28 games. Then add 10 games at the Worlds - that would make for such a short summer to recuperate.  Not sure that guys who went to the finals would still want to participate either.  So many players also declined because they were exhausted or had injuries from the long season.  The best on best option is really just the Olympics.

It seems silly to me to call it the World Championships when the best aren't available.  They need to get together and figure out a better way to do this.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

How are ROR and Barzal B team when Chris Kunitz was good enough to be in the Olympic team in Sochi?

There’s more Canadian talent this year. Just try building a roster with the best Canadians, ROR and Barzal will likely not be on it.

Also, Kunitz was point per game that year and had chemistry with our best player. 

And many people didn’t like the idea of Kunitz getting a spot anyways.

Congrats to the Swiss on another silver medal. This was arguably their best roster ever as I’ve said, and it coincides with their best result ever. Just a shootout away from gold! And Sweden’s team was more than half of their A team, making it very impressive.

If they can start making the quarterfinals every single year instead of a few random misses, mixed in with performances like this, I’d say we have a “Big 7” in hockey.

Like Las Vegas, the Swiss Team showed how far a passionate, fast, skilled and gritty team with good goaltending can go even without real superstars.

And none oft the topscorers oft the tournament, McDavid, Aho and Kane, played in the final game - remarkable coincidence, isn't it?

Archived