The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 World Hockey Championships

Tito Beauvillier also added. So the Islanders have 4 guys going including that whole 2nd line. I'm really high on Pulock. Should be a good group heading to Denmark. I'd like to see Canada add Anthony Mantha...

For the USA I've heard Kane (captain), Larkin, and DeBrincat so far.

Hockey Canada names first 18 players to 2018 IIHF World Championship roster:

CALGARY, Alta. – Hockey Canada confirmed its initial 2018 IIHF World Championship roster. The first 18 players named to compete with Team Canada May 4-20 in Copenhagen and Herning, Denmark, include six players who were part of at least one of the last three medal-winning teams.

The initial roster was confirmed following the close of the NHL regular season, and includes:

• Goaltender: Darcy Kuemper (Saskatoon, Sask./Arizona) 
  • Defencemen: Thomas Chabot (Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce, Que./Ottawa), Vince Dunn (Lindsay, Ont./St. Louis), Joel Edmundson (Brandon, Man./St. Louis), Aaron Ekblad (Windsor, Ont./Florida), Darnell Nurse (Hamilton, Ont./Edmonton), Colton Parayko (St. Albert, Alta./St. Louis) and Ryan Pulock (Dauphin, Man./New York Islanders)
  • Forwards: Mathew Barzal (Coquitlam, B.C./New York Islanders), Anthony Beauvillier (Sorel-Tracy, Que./New York Islanders), Jordan Eberle (Regina, Sask./New York Islanders), Bo Horvat (Rodney, Ont./Vancouver), Connor McDavid (Newmarket, Ont./Edmonton), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Burnaby, B.C./Edmonton), Brayden Schenn (Saskatoon, Sask./St. Louis), Jaden Schwartz (Wilcox, Sask./St. Louis), Ryan O’Reilly (Varna, Ont./Buffalo) and Jean-Gabriel Pageau (Ottawa/Ottawa)

The player selections were made by the management group for the 2018 IIHF World Championship – co-general managers Sean Burke (Windsor, Ont./Montreal, NHL) and Martin Brodeur (Montreal/St. Louis, NHL), along with Scott Salmond (Creston, B.C.), vice-president of hockey operations and national teams with Hockey Canada – in consultation with the coaching staff consisting of head coach Bill Peters (Three Hills, Alta./Carolina), associate coach Mike Yeo (North Bay, Ont./St. Louis), and assistant coach Bob Boughner (Windsor, Ont./Florida).

“It’s always very special to represent your country and wear the Maple Leaf, and as a management group, we feel very fortunate to be working with a talented group of coaches and a strong depth of player talent at this year’s worlds,” said Brodeur.

“We have a mix of youth, experience, and strong leadership qualities among these players as they have represented Canada on the international stage previously from the World Juniors up to last year’s championship. Their previous success and experience can only help us in our ultimate goal of bringing home a gold medal,” added Burke.

Five of the players announced for this year’s team earned gold medals with Team Canada in either 2015 (Eberle, Ekblad, Schenn) or 2016 (McDavid, O’Reilly), while three skated to a silver medal in 2017 (O’Reilly, Parayko, Schenn).

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2018-mwc-18-named-to-worlds-roster

RNH-McDavid-O'Reilly

Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle

Schwarz-Schenn-????

Pageau-Horvat-????

Nurse-Ekblad

Edmundson-Parayko

Chabot-Pulock

Dunn

Kuemper

????

I guess they're going to add in a few more players once teams are eliminated from the first round.

8 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I guess they're going to add in a few more players once teams are eliminated from the first round.

Agreed.  The first round is finished no later than April 25th and the WHC doesn't start until May 4th.  Lots of time to get over being eliminated and join Team Canada in Denmark.

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

RNH-McDavid-O'Reilly

Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle

Schwarz-Schenn-????

Pageau-Horvat-????

Nurse-Ekblad

Edmundson-Parayko

Chabot-Pulock

Dunn

Kuemper

????

I'd like to see Anthony Mantha added to the team. That might be a great line Schwarz-Schenn-Mantha.

10 NHLers for Sweden:

The Swedish Ice Hockey Association announced that 10 NHL players have committed to join the national team for the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

With host Denmark having selected Herning as its home base, who will be the fans’ favourite at the preliminary round in Copenhagen? Sweden, a stone’s throw away across the Oresund Strait between the Danish capital of Copenhagen and the third-largest Swedish city of Malmo, is definitely a strong candidate and shows its ambitions.

Not only is Sweden the defending World Champion, the Swedes also have strong commitment from its players from overseas. 10 NHL players committed to join the men’s national team for the Worlds in their country’s neighbourhood when the largest annual winter-sport event will come to Denmark for the first time ever. Among them are also returnees Oliver Ekman-Larsson and John Klingberg.

Goaltender: Anders Nilsson (Vancouver Canucks).

Defencemen: Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Arizona Coyotes), John Klingberg (Dallas Stars), Erik Gustafsson (Chicago Blackhawks), Adam Larsson (Edmonton Oilers).

Forwards: Mika Zibanejad (New York Rangers), Mikael Backlund (Calgary Flames), Jacob de la Rose (Montreal Canadiens), Johan Larsson (Buffalo Sabres), Magnus Paajarvi (Ottawa Senators).

The roster will be completed with Swedish players from European clubs and with potential other NHL players the team management is in discussion.

Sweden will play the preliminary round in Copenhagen in a group that includes Russia, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Belarus, Slovakia, France and Austria.

http://2018.iihfworlds.com/en/news/10-nhlers-for-sweden/

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ilya Kovalchuk will miss the 2018 IIHF World Championships due to fatigue and to focus on his NHL return next season.

I call B.S.  It's more like he's a free agent and doesn't want to risk his upcoming NHL contract.

Also...

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ilya Kovalchuk will miss the 2018 IIHF World Championships due to fatigue and to focus on his NHL return next season.

Ivan Barbashev, Sergei Plotnikov and Victor Antipin will all miss the World Championships due to injury.

I wouldn't worry too much - Ovi will be available in 2 more games :P

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:
  • Defencemen: Thomas Chabot (Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce, Que./Ottawa), Vince Dunn (Lindsay, Ont./St. Louis), Joel Edmundson (Brandon, Man./St. Louis), Aaron Ekblad (Windsor, Ont./Florida), Darnell Nurse (Hamilton, Ont./Edmonton), Colton Parayko (St. Albert, Alta./St. Louis) and Ryan Pulock (Dauphin, Man./New York Islanders)
  • Forwards: Mathew Barzal (Coquitlam, B.C./New York Islanders), Anthony Beauvillier (Sorel-Tracy, Que./New York Islanders), Jordan Eberle (Regina, Sask./New York Islanders), Bo Horvat (Rodney, Ont./Vancouver), Connor McDavid (Newmarket, Ont./Edmonton), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Burnaby, B.C./Edmonton), Brayden Schenn (Saskatoon, Sask./St. Louis), Jaden Schwartz (Wilcox, Sask./St. Louis), Ryan O’Reilly (Varna, Ont./Buffalo) and Jean-Gabriel Pageau (Ottawa/Ottawa

That's a very formidable D group!  Including some young D who would garner some great experience; Nurse, Dunn, Chabot.

And McDavid who is in the Hart discussion, Schenn who was at one point & super rook Barzal!

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Olli is believed to be at Finland's camp on a tryout.

I'm excited to get a look at Pettersson against NHL dmen and 2-way forwards, even if it will be on the big ice.

It'd be nice to see Juolevi make the team. I want that Juolevi-Honka pairing. Then I want Dallas to give up on Honka and trade him to us.

Archived