The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Review and Suggested Moves (Discussion)

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I have been championing signing Kane this offseason for like 3 years now. I'm still not against it. I just feel it is doubtful. I also thought the Sedins would come back for one last season. Shows how much I know.  

I realized I was quoting a fellow convert when I wrote that.

The only reason I can see it being doubtful is that Kane is just having too much fun in San Jose not to re-sign there.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Linden didn't say the team would be 14 mil under the cap, he said very likely a few mil. So to me that says they are thinking about 1 or 2 depth free agents of some kind in all likelihood. Do they spend 7-8 on Kane or Carlson and leave everything else as is if one of those two want to come here? Sure but I just don't see Carlson coming here. If Kane has a good meeting with Green and likes what he see's in the youth sure why not? 

Exactly Jimmy. There seems to be an automatic reaction built in by the media that builds in assumptions. Linden said that the team could be several million under the cap, and then Patterson, in his stupidity, writes an article saying that Vancouver will have the quietest off season in years. Clowns like Patterson see the pressers as make work projects that keep him knee deep in work.

If Kane is available, Benning will make an offer. Simple as that. He'd be crucified if he didn't

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Linden didn't say the team would be 14 mil under the cap, he said very likely a few mil. So to me that says they are thinking about 1 or 2 depth free agents of some kind in all likelihood. Do they spend 7-8 on Kane or Carlson and leave everything else as is if one of those two want to come here? Sure but I just don't see Carlson coming here. If Kane has a good meeting with Green and likes what he see's in the youth sure why not? 

There are A lot of why not's. The main one being for me would be having Evander be the highest paid player on our team who has been known to be less than professional and not put in the work in practice or off ice. Would send the wrong message. 

Evander joining a team with a well established identity like the sharks is one thing. The Canucks dont have that. Is Kane a #1 you build around? I see him more as a prime secondary scoring guy. Kessler with more O and less D and even more reason to keep your wives locked up.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

There are A lot of why not's. The main one being for me would be having Evander be the highest paid player on our team who has been known to be less than professional and not put in the work in practice or off ice. Would send the wrong message. 

Evander joining a team with a well established identity like the sharks is one thing. The Canucks dont have that. Is Kane a #1 you build around? I see him more as a prime secondary scoring guy. Kessler with more O and less D and even more reason to keep your wives locked up.

I see Kane as a talented addition, not necessarily the guy you build the team identity around. 

they would have to be sure that kane wouldn't be a cancer in the room. that could kill a young team quicker than poison. is kane a team guy? does he put the team before himself? could he be a bad influence on young players? i don't know but the team has to figure that out before they try to sign him. other than that, he has a lot to offer the team.

on moving forward, imo, finding the right line mates is very important. bo and brock have shown some chemistry. i liked the line of leipsic, gaudette and virtanen. a good energy line. sitter's shut down line has been good. we really don't have a second line that projects to replace the sedins. finding the right combo of players to place sit for pettersson, dahlin and lind needs to be effective,

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

they would have to be sure that kane wouldn't be a cancer in the room. that could kill a young team quicker than poison. is kane a team guy? does he put the team before himself? could he be a bad influence on young players? i don't know but the team has to figure that out before they try to sign him. other than that, he has a lot to offer the team.

I'm not so worried about him being a cancer so much as being aloof. How can you demand guys put in the work to earn their checks when your highest paid player isn't on the bike next to you after a game.

36 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He has a history, but so did Patrick Kane. That could have gone off the rails real quick, but Chicago showed some faith in Kane and he cleaned up his act. The same looks to be happening for Evander.

Evander joining a team with a well established identity like the sharks is one thing.

Certainly, as they have a veteran leadership "group" that can absorb his personality, which looks to have been toned down about 100 dB. Kane did some work on himself, which seems to be forgotten.

The Canucks dont have that. Is Kane a #1 you build around? I see him more as a prime secondary scoring guy. Kessler with more O and less D and even more reason to keep your wives locked up.

The Canucks have enough strong personalities to absorb Kane too. Evander has a love for his home too, which would translate into being a strong presence for the team off the ice. He's already done charity work in Vancouver without being a member of the Canucks, so if he was a Canuck, that would probably increase considerably.

Teams build around various players, and some other players are on the team to provide goals, truculence, and fashion sense. Haha

37 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The reason Kessel had to leave TO but has 2 cups is because hes not a number 1 but is elite support. I think also applies to Kane. 

i do not think that is the reason at all why kane left winnipeg

nice revisionist history though

and issues reappeared in buffalo

has nothing to do with him being a #1 or support player

it has more to do with him being a real teammate or not

go ahead and believe he has magically changed in the past few months

i remain a skeptic

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He has a history, but so did Patrick Kane. That could have gone off the rails real quick, but Chicago showed some faith in Kane and he cleaned up his act. The same looks to be happening for Evander.

Certainly, as they have a veteran leadership "group" that can absorb his personality, which looks to have been toned down about 100 dB. Kane did some work on himself, which seems to be forgotten.

The Canucks have enough strong personalities to absorb Kane too. Evander has a love for his home too, which would translate into being a strong presence for the team off the ice. He's already done charity work in Vancouver without being a member of the Canucks, so if he was a Canuck, that would probably increase considerably.

Teams build around various players, and some other players are on the team to provide goals, truculence, and fashion sense. Haha

You will get no argument from me. if the gamble paid off Kane would fit the exact mould here on ice. No question. how much do we pay Boeser when he out scores Kane next season?

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i do not think that is the reason at all why kane left winnipeg

nice revisionist history though

and issues reappeared in buffalo

has nothing to do with him being a #1 or support player

it has more to do with him being a real teammate or not

go ahead and believe he has magically changed in the past few months

i remain a skeptic

I think both Kessel and Kane duck out on putting in the extra work and being pros. They both value their private life more than hockey. Only in Sports is that considered a sin. They happen to play sports.

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

:huh:

When I think of this term I think of Pat Quinn who stood Pat. 

I think the cream of this crop of D will rise to the top thjs season we will find out who of Pouliot Hutton Joulevi is a top 4. We will find out if Tanev can get anything in return? If Gud can be a physical force? 

My pick is Stetcher to break out there is no quit in him and with Biega showing the way as a <6' being able to win physical puck battles has been essential. 

Since this is an end of an era with the Sedins retiring, who else would like to see a logo change? With the eventual infusion of youth and a new look, new feel team going forward I would like to see them address the current logo. The Orca is outdated and somewhat boring/lame, I personally feel the Johnny Canuck logo would be much more relevant and better suited.....the team is called the Canucks after all. Either keep the same color scheme and replace the Orca "C" with Johnny Canuck, or go back to the 90's skate logo black/white/gold color scheme that I think every Canuck fan loves, update the skate logo if need be, but I think this team needs an identity refreshment....starting with the teams Logo.

My guess:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - UFA - Pettersson

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Delzaster - Gudbranson

Pouliot

Markstrom

Demko

Traded - Gagner, Gaunce, Hutton, Nilsson

UFA - Stastny, Filppula or Bozak?

As for Kane - Linden and Co. are going to be careful who they bring in to the room. It will be filled with young, impressionable players, and the Canucks will want to insulate these young players with good character veterans who can teach and mentor. Kane is not the right player for this role. 

2 hours ago, logic said:

Green 3 years 7 million hahaha yeah nope.

Hi Logic

I support your opinion not to like the amount, but wish you would expand your opinion.....

Explain what would you pay? How many years? To simply laugh at a suggestion that is intended to start a conversation is unfair........

My point to suggesting we move Tanev and sign a replacement, is that..........."IF" the replace is close to the same calibre, but you get the extra

benefit of the Traded assets, then please tell me why you would not do it?

Again.............Is Green and a 1st and a 2nd not greater than Tanev.......same question if it is Carlson

I want to hear "Logic"................not just simple "No's" with no explanation............

I invite you to comment, because you are so adamant.......and that is fine with me, just want to hear what you have to say on the subject.....

Thanks Jan

40 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Logic

I support your opinion not to like the amount, but wish you would expand your opinion.....

Explain what would you pay? How many years? To simply laugh at a suggestion that is intended to start a conversation is unfair........

My point to suggesting we move Tanev and sign a replacement, is that..........."IF" the replace is close to the same calibre, but you get the extra

benefit of the Traded assets, then please tell me why you would not do it?

Again.............Is Green and a 1st and a 2nd not greater than Tanev.......same question if it is Carlson

I want to hear "Logic"................not just simple "No's" with no explanation............

I invite you to comment, because you are so adamant.......and that is fine with me, just want to hear what you have to say on the subject.....

Thanks Jan

7 million for 35 points and okay d isn't worth it imo, Carlson or bust this year if we don't land him wait for next years class

Archived