The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New team logo/logo change

Harold Drunken

•  
  • Members
  • 1 post

Since this is an end of an era with the Sedins retiring, who else would like to see a logo change? With the eventual infusion of youth and a new look, new feel team going forward I would like to see them address the current logo. The Orca is outdated and somewhat boring/lame, I personally feel the Johnny Canuck logo would be much more relevant and better suited.....the team is called the Canucks after all. Either keep the same color scheme and replace the Orca "C" with Johnny Canuck, or go back to the 90's skate logo black/white/gold color scheme that I think every Canuck fan loves, update the skate logo if need be, but I think this team needs an identity refresher....starting with the teams Logo.

It's been a while since we had a logo/jersey thread.

As I always say, it's time to create a more long-lasting identity. I love our current colours and though I think there are better options than the Orca, it's not bad and I can live with it. Let's at least get a logo to last an extended length of time. We've finally had a logo last over 20 years with the Orca, but the current iteration is only just over 10 years old. Let's get some legacy going with our hockey sweaters.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's been a while since we had a logo/jersey thread.

As I always say, it's time to create a more long-lasting identity. I love our current colours and though I think there are better options than the Orca, it's not bad and I can live with it. Let's at least get a logo to last an extended length of time. We've finally had a logo last over 20 years with the Orca, but the current iteration is only just over 10 years old. Let's get some legacy going with our hockey sweaters.

This. I would like to buy a jersey for this new era and not have it dated.

the original "Johnny Canuck" comic stuff is interesting, I think it lends itself to better designs but the aviator look doesn't really make sense for BC and kind of conflicts with the Jets imo. But I'd be OK with the lumberjack look. 

IMO the colours are great, its the just the jersey ribbons are too thin and make it look amateurish.

Bring back the third jersey we had and the 40th anniversary jersey.  The thick ribbons and bold colours is what stands out visually.

Image result for canucks third jerseyImage result for Bo Horvat third jersey

Image result for canucks third jersey 40th anniversary Image result for canucks third jersey 40th anniversary

Don't really mind either the Orca or the stick in rink, just don't have the word "Vancouver" across it.  Keep it simple, keep the colours bright and bold, and make the ribbons thick.

Compared to what we have now, the ribbons are too thin and just looks bland as jerseys

Image result for Bo Horvat

Image result for Bo Horvat away jersey

30 minutes ago, chon derry said:

with edler and tanev being the last of the old guard,   i'm looking forward to the teams 'new identity'  but it doesn't involve a jersey change. 

Not a jersey change, just the logo on it. Colors and scheme the same. The management group that owns the rights isn't even called Orca Bay anymore. The Orca really isn't relevant at all anymore, besides the fact that's it's in the shape of a "C"

I agree with the above (Crazy4Nazzy). I think the 3rd jersey (stick in rink) is my favourite jersey. I do really like the black/yellow "skate" jerseys too, but I doubt they go back to that design permanently. I'd like to see that 3rd jersey in white, just to see what the road jerseys would look like. But it would be nice if a Canucks image (whatever that is) was used as the logo. IMO, the Canadiens and Canucks have the same meaning, except theirs is French, ours is English.

DUCKS - Duck foot

COYOTES - Coyote head

BRUINS - "B" for Bruin

SABRES - A buffalo with sabres around it

FLAMES - Flaming "C"

HURRICANES - A hurricane (eye of the storm)

BLACKHAWKS - Indigenous Chief

AVALANCHE - "A" with avalanche snow swirling

BLUE JACKETS - Patriotic colours with a star

STARS - a star

RED WINGS - Wheel with a red wing

OILERS - Oil drop

PANTHERS - Panther

KINGS - Crown

WILD - Wild animal

CANADIENS - "H" in a "C" (it's a French thing)

PREDATORS - Predatory animal

DEVILS - Devil tail

ISLANDERS - Long Island

RANGERS - Ranger badge/shield?

SENATORS - Senator head

FLYERS - "P" with wing

PENGUINS - Penguin on skates

SHARKS - Shark

BLUES - Blue note

LIGHTNING - Lightning bolt

MAPLE LEAFS - Leaf lol

CANUCKS - Whale coming out of ice (what?)

GOLDEN KNIGHTS - Knight's head

CAPITALS - Patriotic stars or eagle

JETS - Jet

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Although he didn't explain it fully, he has a valid complaint.  New jersey / new logo threads are fairly common around here and rarely contain a single original thought.

Ok fair enough, 

Here's my argument - When they came out with the Orca symbol the team and rights was owned by "Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment" . This is now Canucks Sports and Entertainment and Orca Bay no longer exists. The Orca really isn't relevant anymore, doesn't have anything to do with the team name or management group...it's a whale (which has nothing to do with hockey, or the name of the team?)....in the shape of a "C". I just have a hard time swallowing the argument that "it's the current logo and I don't want change therefore don't change it and it's better" that's all.

I just feel there are more relevant, classic and suitable logo's that actually reference the team and their name/heritage other than a whale. the stick & rink, the classic skate logo and Johnny Canuck all have more hockey history and heritage and relevance than the killer whale.....that's my point.

Just now, CJ44 said:

Here's my argument - When they came out with the Orca symbol the team and rights was owned by "Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment" .

But is it a chicken and egg argument?  Did they name it Orca Bay because of the new logo, or was the new logo created to fit with Orca Bay?

Personally, I think they should adopt the modern stick-in-rink logo and go with that.  It will be interesting as well to see if they re-introduce a 3rd jersey next season.  Apparently most teams will be bringing back 3rd jerseys.

1 hour ago, CJ44 said:
  •  
  • Members
  • 1 post

Since this is an end of an era with the Sedins retiring, who else would like to see a logo change? With the eventual infusion of youth and a new look, new feel team going forward I would like to see them address the current logo. The Orca is outdated and somewhat boring/lame, I personally feel the Johnny Canuck logo would be much more relevant and better suited.....the team is called the Canucks after all. Either keep the same color scheme and replace the Orca "C" with Johnny Canuck, or go back to the 90's skate logo black/white/gold color scheme that I think every Canuck fan loves, update the skate logo if need be, but I think this team needs an identity refresher....starting with the teams Logo.

Nope

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Nope

Ok - then explain to me what a whale has to do with the team? Orca bay doesn't exist - and we aren't called the killer whales or whales? What does an Orca have to do with the Canucks? And why do other teams (literally every other team) have a Logo that matches or relates to their name? 

"Nope" is fine, but unless you have an actual rebuttal or point - your comment is as irrelevant as a whale logo.......

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree with the above (Crazy4Nazzy). I think the 3rd jersey (stick in rink) is my favourite jersey. I do really like the black/yellow "skate" jerseys too, but I doubt they go back to that design permanently. I'd like to see that 3rd jersey in white, just to see what the road jerseys would look like. But it would be nice if a Canucks image (whatever that is) was used as the logo. IMO, the Canadiens and Canucks have the same meaning, except theirs is French, ours is English.

DUCKS - Duck foot

COYOTES - Coyote head

BRUINS - "B" for Bruin

SABRES - A buffalo with sabres around it

FLAMES - Flaming "C"

HURRICANES - A hurricane (eye of the storm)

BLACKHAWKS - Indigenous Chief

AVALANCHE - "A" with avalanche snow swirling

BLUE JACKETS - Patriotic colours with a star

STARS - a star

RED WINGS - Wheel with a red wing

OILERS - Oil drop

PANTHERS - Panther

KINGS - Crown

WILD - Wild animal

CANADIENS - "H" in a "C" (it's a French thing)

PREDATORS - Predatory animal

DEVILS - Devil tail

ISLANDERS - Long Island

RANGERS - Ranger badge/shield?

SENATORS - Senator head

FLYERS - "P" with wing

PENGUINS - Penguin on skates

SHARKS - Shark

BLUES - Blue note

LIGHTNING - Lightning bolt

MAPLE LEAFS - Leaf lol

CANUCKS - Whale coming out of ice (what?)

GOLDEN KNIGHTS - Knight's head

CAPITALS - Patriotic stars or eagle

JETS - Jet

Lol this is exactly my point.....what does a whale have to do with the name "Canucks" or hockey in general. It's like being called the Americans and having a Lemur as your logo.....one of these things is not like the other. I see people disagreeing which is fine.....but I have yet to see them explain their logic and why they disagree other than opinion.....

Archived