The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New team logo/logo change

Harold Drunken

55 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well then both Philly and Calgary got their logos wrong. Both rep the team name and where their teams play. Nothing hockey related. Take a look at the logos around the league. Hockey related is in the minority. Even the Knights, team name and where the team plays. You can add in the Stars, Kings, Bruins, Sabres.....seems name and location are as popular as name and hockey reference.

I'll tell you what I like about the Orca jersey: It's distinctively ours. What other NHL team could use that logo? Haida are indigenous to BC. Permanent pod of Orca residing off our coast. Whale research right here in Vancouver changed the world view of Orca's. Now take the stick in rink, never mind it's a boring logo, and change the colors. It could just as easily be used by the Canadiens. Change the colors again and add flames across the top. Just as easily a Calgary Flames logo. The haida style Orca, that's ours.

I get that it's not everybodies cup of tea. Everybody has different taste. But crap like it doesn't reference hockey, or an Orca isn't a Canuck, in my mind anyway, are just lame excuses to put it down. It's simply turning a blind eye to the relevance. Somebody says "I don't like the look of it" I can respect. That's simply personal taste. My personal taste is the stick in rink is boring as a primary and generic in the sense others teams could just as easily use it. The JC logo looks like it belongs on a peewee team jersey. And it boggles my mind that anybody could actually like that yellow V uniform. 

I absolutely L♡VE the home yellow Flying V's. Bold and distinctive and worked great with away black.

:towel::towel::towel:

On 4/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, Jester13 said:

Maybe it's just me, but this has cultural appropriation written all over it. 

Linden should get a local indigenous artist to design it.  A person whose people lived on the grounds Rogers Arena is on or near.

5 hours ago, WiseOne said:

Linden should get a local indigenous artist to design it.  A person whose people lived on the grounds Rogers Arena is on or near.

I would rather just stick to the basics. Something with a traditional hockey look to it.

Stick in the rink works fine for this.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

IMO the colours are great, its the just the jersey ribbons are too thin and make it look amateurish.

Bring back the third jersey we had and the 40th anniversary jersey.  The thick ribbons and bold colours is what stands out visually.

Image result for canucks third jerseyImage result for Bo Horvat third jersey

Image result for canucks third jersey 40th anniversary Image result for canucks third jersey 40th anniversary

Don't really mind either the Orca or the stick in rink, just don't have the word "Vancouver" across it.  Keep it simple, keep the colours bright and bold, and make the ribbons thick.

Compared to what we have now, the ribbons are too thin and just looks bland as jerseys

Image result for Bo Horvat

Image result for Bo Horvat away jersey

Love the colour. I would love to see the 40th-anniversary jersey. those jerseys are beauts. 

If the orca has to stay. Then at least drop the Vancouver, and transfer it to the 40th-anniversary jersey. Love the no names on the back and the wide ribbons.

I would be ok with the Spaghetti jerseys as 3rds or once in a while.  

Based on this whole thread, I think we should change the name to the Vancouver players of hockey. Then we should have a jersey that just says Vancouver on an angle and the colour should be black on white. Maybe we should identify the team by players that we remember and the potential players that will make the identity of this team moving forward. I think the teams identity is formed by players we have had over the years, not by the uniform or the success of the team or lack there of. 

Honestly, we could call the team the Vancouver Nubes, or the Vancouver orcas or the Vancouver skate in rinks, it doesn’t really matter. 

What  I really want, as I believe we all do, is to see Vancouver win the cup regardless of jersey color, team name or players involved.

It all comes down to a pride and ego thing. We all love their area we live in and want to be associated with success.  Sports among other things are our conduit to this goal. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sport of hockey, the perseverance, the speed, the skill,  the dominance of spirit.  These are all the things that I also want in life, thus I am enthralled and excited by the sport I love. 

So,  in conclusion, WTF, change the jersey?

Signed,

Mr. Philosophical 

12 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I absolutely L♡VE the home yellow Flying V's. Bold and distinctive and worked great with away black.

:towel::towel::towel:

As I said - personal taste.

The day the new uni was to be unveiled I was really excited to be moving on from the stick in rink. But I got home from work too late for the sports news on old BCTV. Asked the wife if she saw it. Her answer was "yes, but you're not going to like it". She wouldn't give any clues at all about it. I had to wait for the 11:35 BCTV news. She was right, I hated it. I was dumbfounded by that hideous yellow V jersey. Personal taste.

11 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Still, I wouldn't use an orca to represent the Canucks but that looks a lot better than the current constipated version.  

Yes, fair enough. I am in the camp of the stick in the rink or the skate with the clean shoulders look, black for away and white for home.

10 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I would rather just stick to the basics. Something with a traditional hockey look to it.

Stick in the rink works fine for this.

Yes, I tend to lean that way too, I love the stick in the rink too.  I just have a feeling that like it or not, the Orca is hear to stay, so lets hope Linden can at least find a way to improve the look.

57 minutes ago, WiseOne said:

Yes, I tend to lean that way too, I love the stick in the rink too.  I just have a feeling that like it or not, the Orca is hear to stay, so lets hope Linden can at least find a way to improve the look.

Linden was very involved in the original Orca design.

13 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Based on this whole thread, I think we should change the name to the Vancouver players of hockey. Then we should have a jersey that just says Vancouver on an angle and the colour should be black on white. Maybe we should identify the team by players that we remember and the potential players that will make the identity of this team moving forward. I think the teams identity is formed by players we have had over the years, not by the uniform or the success of the team or lack there of. 

Honestly, we could call the team the Vancouver Nubes, or the Vancouver orcas or the Vancouver skate in rinks, it doesn’t really matter. 

What  I really want, as I believe we all do, is to see Vancouver win the cup regardless of jersey color, team name or players involved.

It all comes down to a pride and ego thing. We all love their area we live in and want to be associated with success.  Sports among other things are our conduit to this goal. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sport of hockey, the perseverance, the speed, the skill,  the dominance of spirit.  These are all the things that I also want in life, thus I am enthralled and excited by the sport I love. 

So,  in conclusion, WTF, change the jersey?

Signed,

Mr. Philosophical 

lol

The Vancouver Skate-in-Rinks.  I'm in!

I agree that it really doesn't matter on the name.  Look at penguins. Fine under the ice, but on the ice they waddle around like imbeciles.  How could you ever respect any team like that? How many are laughing at the name "Penguins" watching Sid skate around holding the Cup over his head.

And it doesn't really matter on the logo. In a lot of ways the love of the logo is directly related to the team's success. Is it any wonder we have changed ours so many times?  If we had won in 2011, I'll bet the orca, going down in history with shots of Henrik holding the Cup, would've gained a lot more love and respect.

Archived