The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers may consider trading first round pick

11 minutes ago, mll said:

That makes sense - Tanev doesn't.  Canucks get even less offence from their Ds than Edmonton.

Friedman wrote this just last week in his 31 thoughts (Nashville finished with over 200pts from their Ds):

4. Entering Wednesday’s games, Edmonton had 127 points from defencemen, 27th in the NHL. (Nashville is best, at 195.) That is something the Oilers will address in the off-season. It’s a priority.

There were also 26th in the NHL in Goals Against to be fair, one less goal than we gave up. 

Tanev + something else I guess.

We will have to wait until the draft lottery but if we win Dahlin, we can trade Tanev + Gudbranson + Baer or Granny. They want good defencemen and they need depth so a serviceable middle six players like Baer or Granny would fit.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hall (maybe the Hart winner this season) for Larsen?  Wasn't it Chiarelli who traded a young Tyler Segan for Loui E.?  I don't care if the Oiler fans riot.

He's got a good trade record. :lol:

Why does everyone assume the Oilers want to trade Lucic? I know we can view his contract as bad but I am sure the Oilers knew that too when they signed him. However, Chiarelli seems to value size and toughness, similar to his Boston days, more than most GM's do today (exception being CDC GM's). Edmonton would definitely like to get rid of Sekera as a priority and probably Klefbom and RNH before Chiarelli would part with Lucic IMO.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Why does everyone assume the Oilers want to trade Lucic? I know we can view his contract as bad but I am sure the Oilers knew that too when they signed him. However, Chiarelli seems to value size and toughness, similar to his Boston days, more than most GM's do today (exception being CDC GM's). Edmonton would definitely like to get rid of Sekera as a priority and probably Klefbom and RNH before Chiarelli would part with Lucic IMO.

I think Chia wanted Lucic to watch over McDavid, but he didn't take Lucic's lack of speed into consideration. I'm sure they would love to re-do that deal.  

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Bearschi Tanev and our 2018 2nd 

People are talking cap dump, but I don't think they really have any bad contracts besides Lucic, and his contract is too long for us to take on.

I think this is a very reasonable offer, actually. It is exactly what they need... a secondary scorer (with upside), a top-notch defenseman, and a pick.  I know it takes a lot to pry a 1st rounder from a team, but I almost think this is TOO much to be worth our while.  Baertschi is expendable in time, but we kinda need him to help out with the scoring unless we can replace him in free agency.  Tanev is indeed often injured but he remains one of the most elite shutdown guys in the league and by all rights should be worth a late first by himself.  Then we add a pick as well?  Seems like we give up a lot for a pick which may or may not even turn out - despite Benning's typical good job with his draft selections.

Bearschi Tanev and our 2018 2nd 

People are talking cap dump, but I don't think they really have any bad contracts besides Lucic, and his contract is too long for us to take on.

I think this is a very reasonable offer, actually. It is exactly what they need... a secondary scorer (with upside), a top-notch defenseman, and a pick.  I know it takes a lot to pry a 1st rounder from a team, but I almost think this is TOO much to be worth our while.  Baertschi is expendable in time, but we kinda need him to help out with the scoring unless we can replace him in free agency.  Tanev is indeed often injured but he remains one of the most elite shutdown guys in the league and by all rights should be worth a late first by himself.  Then we add a pick as well?  Seems like we give up a lot for a pick which may or may not even turn out - despite Benning's typical good job with his draft selections.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Evander Kane says hi

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There were also 26th in the NHL in Goals Against to be fair, one less goal than we gave up. 

MacLellan says that for him Nashville is the best D-corps in the league defensively and offensively.  They defend by pushing for offence - the more time spent in the o-zone the less time spent defending. 

They want an offensive D and that's simply not Tanev.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

MacLellan says that for him Nashville is the best D-corps in the league defensively and offensively.  They defend by pushing for offence - the more time spent in the o-zone the less time spent defending. 

Not gonna lie about it

While I might be ok with Nashville winning the cup this year,I'd also be very anti Nashville next year if they net a top 10 pick from Edmonton for a defenseman.

Getting Forsberg, Johansen and a top 10 pick (nother D no doubt to trade down the road) would just make me sad knowing how long we've struggled with drafting 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not gonna lie about it

While I might be ok with Nashville winning the cup this year,I'd also be very anti Nashville next year if they net a top 10 pick from Edmonton for a defenseman.

Getting Forsberg, Johansen and a top 10 pick (nother D no doubt to trade down the road) would just make me sad knowing how long we've struggled with drafting 

Nashville is not going to be trading one of their Ds anytime soon - why would they.  Poile has already said that his roster is set for the next few years.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Ya their D core is Elite. They have been drafting and grooming great 2 way defensemen for years. Edmonton is looking for a quick fix, elite two way D men are hard to acquire through trade. Look at the Hall deal for example. I dont think they find what they are looking for and have to explore other options.    

Im not sold on Puljujarvi just yet it seems like the oilers f'd up his development, like they do with all thr 1st rounders. But at the same time he prob just needs some time.

From what I’ve seen from him, he doesn’t seem like a very smart player, I’m having a hard time seeing him become a top line player but I could

be wrong 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya their D core is Elite. They have been drafting and grooming great 2 way defensemen for years. Edmonton is looking for a quick fix, elite two way D men are hard to acquire through trade. Look at the Hall deal for example. I dont think they find what they are looking for and have to explore other options.    

If they can't find what they want - they'll simply keep their pick.  They want offence from their Ds and there's no reason for them to bring in a D that doesn't provide offence. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe the Avs will trade Barrie? They've got a pretty good Dman coming up (Makar). And then with the extra 1st+ they should do well, as they would have picks #9 and #16 this year.

And let’s see what Ottawa decides to do if they don’t get top 3 pick this year and there destined to be bottom feeders again this year could you see them giving up pick 4-5 in hopes of landing a top 3 next year 

Archived