The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jason Spezza, can the Canucks make a play?

why should we worry about freeing up their cap space only to lower our own?   if were gunna blast off that kind of dough the player better still be in his twenties , not another mid 30s............. no to speeza     sbisa maybe.

8 hours ago, mll said:

As it happens.  McKenzie's latest Bobcast - he was asked if the Red Wings could get a 2nd round pick for taking on Spezza.  He says his guess is that Spezza will be bought out by Dallas instead.

At the 1h14min mark: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-15-1.1048820

I think you've got it. His buyout is actually pretty good as these things go, it would be 2.5 mil for 2 years. So they're not going to give up a top pairing D or 1st round pick for that. 

They do have 2 extra 4th rounders, maybe they'd part with those?

I'm not a fan of this tho, I don't like what he brings and have my doubts he'd put in a great year. Its not like he's 26 playing for his next big contract, everything after this is going to be 1 year over 35 deals so I can't see him putting in the effort with us. I don't see a lot of leadership qualities there either. 

Hard pass  for me. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

As it happens.  McKenzie's latest Bobcast - he was asked if the Red Wings could get a 2nd round pick for taking on Spezza.  He says his guess is that Spezza will be bought out by Dallas instead.

At the 1h14min mark: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-15-1.1048820

I heard this as well so I had to look it up and I don’t really see how the stars are up against the cap.  They don’t have any huge raises kicking in next year. It’s not like shore and smith are going to be commanding a huge raise.  Plus lehtonen’s 5.9 cap hit is coming off the books.  Sure seguin is expecting a raise But By the time seguin extension will kick in spezza will be off the books. 

So what are they so concerned about cap? If the ceiling raises to 78. They are going to have 20 million to spend. Are they going to sign every big ufa or swing for tavares i don’t see the need for them to buyout or give up assets to dump him.

with that said I would be open to taking him off there hands if they are willing to give us something.  

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Kick these c*********s to the curb. Nill isn't as clever as he 1st appeared. Benn/Seguin are cheesy trash. Good leaders, if it's a pack of hyenas.

Bishop is a boat anchor. Brutal contract, for an injury-prone, awkward bum. Still paying 1.5 mill for Auntie Meanie buyout.

Radulov + Hanzal + Spezza = 18,000,000 for next yr. Our GM has taken so much heat..look at these signings & acquisitions!

Willie D took their AHL team all the way(2014?)..appears they wasted that graduating youth, with misfit vets. Back to the drawing board!

That Hamhuis is a nice guy though, Nuxfan.

40 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I heard this as well so I had to look it up and I don’t really see how the stars are up against the cap.  They don’t have any huge raises kicking in next year. It’s not like shore and smith are going to be commanding a huge raise.  Plus lehtonen’s 5.9 cap hit is coming off the books.  Sure seguin is expecting a raise But By the time seguin extension will kick in spezza will be off the books. 

So what are they so concerned about cap? If the ceiling raises to 78. They are going to have 20 million to spend. Are they going to sign every big ufa or swing for tavares i don’t see the need for them to buyout or give up assets to dump him.

with that said I would be open to taking him off there hands if they are willing to give us something.  

Per CapFriendly they have 13 players under contract (including Spezza) for 57M.  It leaves 18M + cap increase to add 10 players.

Beyond Radulov, Seguin, Benn and Klingberg - they are not getting a lot of scoring help.  Production rate of others on the roster is 42% and below.  They might want to try the free agent market to get some F help.  There's also defence with only 5Ds under contract/RFAs.  

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would take him if they were unloading him.

Would he be willing?  We are a lower end team but. If he had a great season on this starved team he could earn another good contract. On the opposite side if he stinks here he would be hard pressed to get more then a single year deal. 

If he excels here maybe he gets an extra year. He's getting a tad long in the tooth but he's still very talented.  Dallas should of paid valeri niskuchen.  He made their team far better with his youthful exuberance and offensive contributions.

He had 2 x 30 point seasons he probably would of eclipsed the 60 point mark by now. That would make the difference of being a playoff team or not. Who knows what's going on with his development now. He's got 24 points in 36 games in the KHL.

He brought the same type of energy to them as Bo brought to us it could be argued. Remove Bo from and squad for 2 years and watch the emotion drain from the room.

Just now, Rush17 said:

Would he be willing?  We are a lower end team but. If he had a great season on this starved team he could earn another good contract. On the opposite side if he stinks here he would be hard pressed to get more then a single year deal. 

If he excels here maybe he gets an extra year. He's getting a tad long in the tooth but he's still very talented.  Dallas should of paid valeri niskuchen.  He made their team far better with his youthful exuberance and offensive contributions.

He had 2 x 30 point seasons he probably would of eclipsed the 60 point mark by now. That would make the difference of being a playoff team or not. Who knows what's going on with his development now. He's got 24 points in 36 games in the KHL.

He brought the same type of energy to them as Bo brought to us it could be argued. Remove Bo from and squad for 2 years and watch the emotion drain from the room.

We could maybe manage Bo's departure now a little better then before. But that's because we have so many good young players bound for our team next season. Boeser changed that situation.

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Per CapFriendly they have 13 players under contract (including Spezza) for 57M.  It leaves 18M + cap increase to add 10 players.

Beyond Radulov, Seguin, Benn and Klingberg - they are not getting a lot of scoring help.  Production rate of others on the roster is 42% and below.  They might want to try the free agent market to get some F help.  There's also defence with only 5Ds under contract/RFAs.  

But that’s kind of what I’m saying. Unless they’re replacing most of there younger core with higher UfAs what do they need an extra 7 mill for. 

The only players they need to resign are, Shore, janmark, Smith, Johns, pateryn Roussel. Combined might cost a total of 10 mil. That locks them with 19 contract so they another 10-14 million to sign two players (21 man roster) a hammer replacement and a back up goalie. Sprinkle in some elc like hiesnaken, gurianov, and they have a lot of cap space open. The only way I see them buying out or dumping him in a trade is if they plan on going big in UFA. Which might hurt their cap situation 3 years from now.   

If spezza had two years left instead of just one then I could see the cause for concern but with only one year left they’d basically be spending money just to free open a roster spot. 

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I've heard this twice on the radio in the last few days and thought it was worthy of discussion.  First, was from Thunder Bay native, Alex Auld and today, from Sir Elliot Friedman. :rolleyes:

Dallas is up against the cap and they need a shot in the arm to get their core back to the playoffs.  Spezza has a $7.5M cap hit with one year remaining.  He has a modified NTC with a 10 team list.  Spezza had an off year, putting up less than half his usual  production (8-18-26) possibly due to everybody's favorite coach, Ken Hitchcock.   

The Canucks have a need to upgrade on their 2C position but have few assets that they can deal for a suitable player.  They may be able to utilize their cap space.

A possible deal could involve 2 teams and simply free up cap space so they could go after a top free agent or be part of a 3-way deal so that Dallas could target a particular player. 

After signing their RFA's this summer, they will have roughly 13 million remaining to fill out their core team.

Not sure where anyone is getting the idea that Dallas is up against the cap or has a problem.

I don't see them being overly aggressive in the UFA market, but they don't seem to have an issue from what I can see.

27 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I imagine as a player with pride he would prefer to be traded over bought out. But hey 2 paychecks are better than one so maybe not. Reality is no playoff teams are gonna take him at his cap so if he isn't willing to be traded to a bottom feeder he will be bought out. 

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

He has a NTC and Vancouver isn't the greatest destination lol

If Spezza's goal is to win a cup, Vancouver could be a great destination since we are one the the teams that could easily absorb half his salary in a later trade to a cup contender.

4 minutes ago, Foo202 said:

If Spezza's goal is to win a cup, Vancouver could be a great destination since we are one the the teams that could easily absorb half his salary in a later trade to a cup contender.

But he would first need a guarantee that he would be traded which we can't give him.

15 minutes ago, Foo202 said:

I didn't really even think of this, this would be smart. Originally I was thinking that we could take him on for 1 year anyway to gain an asset. This also means we could take less back for him now and when we do move him (hopefully with a good season), we can add on top of whatever we gained in the first place to simply take on a year of Spezza salary.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

F' the Stars. Hitchcock should run while he can. A man his age doesn't need that crap.

Yeah there seemed to be simmering pettiness(likely connected to the two ownership groups at odds)..Must've been awkward for Hammy, if the twins ever popped up in conversations about opponents?

Just another seemingly up & down market to "grow the game".. the people are probably fine there, but that's "Big-3" country, I'm sure. Is it a fair weather fanbase? Would be fine if Winterpeg dominated their division for yrs.

Archived