The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jason Spezza, can the Canucks make a play?

48 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

But he would first need a guarantee that he would be traded which we can't give him.

I don't think promising a trade is needed here, he mostly needs an opportunity 

Currently the Canucks only have two established NHL centers in Horvat and Sutter and have spots open on the first unit powerplay. Also there is an opportunity to get a greater percentage of offensive zone starts. I'm not saying we promise him anything but he should be able to see that these opportunities are there for the taking with our team if he proves that this last season was an outlier.

I understand we are not the only team that can give him an opportunity, but the question is would the stars want to move on from him, how many other teams would be interested in acquiring him at the moment with his full cap hit and what his Spezza's plans beyond this contract, since he will be over 35. Canucks may not be the greatest destination at the moment, but it could be an acceptable place to prove he is still at top 6 forward

9 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Spezza has a 10 team NTC. I suspect Vancouver would likely be on that list.  

This is an important note; regardless of whether the Canucks are on the list or not.

What it does is give the player some control. I am sure he would much rather get paid 2/3rds his remain salary? That is what he gets paid in a buyout. And pick his own new team.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

I have Luke warm interest in Spezza 

If you think BIG picture...

to dal: tanev

to van: spezza, 2017 1st round pick

That pick will probably be in the 12-15 range 

This is a realistic sense of value. Compared to the norm? Give them some value for the first, take their cap headache as a sweetener to close the deal!

Funny thing though, is that as much as Dallas needs to be much more stoic defensively?  They probably don't might not have room for Tanev roster wise.   Kilngburgh is going nowhere. They also have Stephen Johns looking for more playing time, Julius Honka, who seems not a Hitchcock favorite) & further need to make roster space for Heskainen. Klinghburgh Johns & Honka are all RHD.

That trade with Tanev might look very realistic if you asked for Honka in liu of the first? 

I also am not sure;

A ) That they are in as desperate need for a 2C as others have suggested?  

B ) That Dallas is in big cap trouble?

Benn can always play C, They Have Seguin, Janmark, Shore, Faksa & Hanzal still. They just need some depth, actually need wingers? Cap wise, Hamhuis & Lehtonen are coming off the books. $10 mill. It leaves them with $17 mill to spend on todays cap, likely $23 in total with expected cap inflation?  Then re-sign Janmark, Johns & Shore as key, but not over the top RFA's, Roussel who I guess they like as UFA.     

Their real key need IS improved D, need some LHD to play with Lindell, Heskainen & Methot. I could see them buying out Spezza if they could get in on a LHD like Calvin De Haan, who would REALLY help them!

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Would he be willing?  We are a lower end team but. If he had a great season on this starved team he could earn another good contract. On the opposite side if he stinks here he would be hard pressed to get more then a single year deal. 

If he excels here maybe he gets an extra year. He's getting a tad long in the tooth but he's still very talented.  Dallas should of paid valeri niskuchen.  He made their team far better with his youthful exuberance and offensive contributions.

He had 2 x 30 point seasons he probably would of eclipsed the 60 point mark by now. That would make the difference of being a playoff team or not. Who knows what's going on with his development now. He's got 24 points in 36 games in the KHL.

He brought the same type of energy to them as Bo brought to us it could be argued. Remove Bo from and squad for 2 years and watch the emotion drain from the room.

This is just it.  If Spezza could have a good year, he might be able to land another contract after this one.  If he doesn't get along with Hitch, this is unlikely and next year could be his last.  

So the question for Spezza is, would he get along with Green and get decent ice time and power play time?  And might he have some reasonable line mates in Van so that he could put up 50 or more points?

On the other side, will Dallas really be up against the cap?  I'm taking Friedman's word for it.  But it looks to me like this group doesn't really have the jam to make a serious run at a cup any more.  Something needs to be done while Benn (28) and Seguin (26) are still in their prime.  Dallas needs scoring help up front, defensive help (is Hamhuis retiring?), and a goalie (Lehtonen is going to disappear finally and does Bishop really lead them to the promised land?).  They could be very active in the free agent market.  I don't think they're going to want to give up players to make trades and a 2C who produces like a 3C isn't going to cut it.

The Canucks could get a motivated 34 year old centre to fill a 2C hole and a couple mid round draft picks for their trouble.  If Spezza craps out, there's always Gagner.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This is just it.  If Spezza could have a good year, he might be able to land another contract after this one.  If he doesn't get along with Hitch, this is unlikely and next year could be his last.  

So the question for Spezza is, would he get along with Green and get decent ice time and power play time?  And might he have some reasonable line mates in Van so that he could put up 50 or more points?

On the other side, will Dallas really be up against the cap?  I'm taking Friedman's word for it.  But it looks to me like this group doesn't really have the jam to make a serious run at a cup any more.  Something needs to be done while Benn (28) and Seguin (26) are still in their prime.  Dallas needs scoring help up front, defensive help (is Hamhuis retiring?), and a goalie (Lehtonen is going to disappear finally and does Bishop really lead them to the promised land?).  They could be very active in the free agent market.  I don't think they're going to want to give up players to make trades and a 2C who produces like a 3C isn't going to cut it.

The Canucks could get a motivated 34 year old centre to fill a 2C hole and a couple mid round draft picks for their trouble.  If Spezza craps out, there's always Gagner.

They have 17.7 million in cap space next year with no major signings required as far as I can tell. So unless they have an internal cap and/or looking to make a splash in free agency, it doesn't appear they need to make panic move and certainly not give up their 1st in the process.

Rumour is Nichushkin is coming back. And Heiskenen is coming over next year too. Dallas will be a better team next season.

However Spezza has clashed with the coach, and has had his ice time cut dramatically. He may relish the opportunity to go to a new team where he is virtually assured of top-6 ice time, to prove he is worth another contract.

Honka has not panned out. He may be available. They'll probably let Hamhuis walk and look for an upgrade to their top-4 D. I could see them being VERY interested in Tanev, who could play with Heiskanen.

Tanev for Spezza, Honka, and their 1st would be a reasonable deal for both sides.

13 hours ago, D-Money said:

Rumour is Nichushkin is coming back. And Heiskenen is coming over next year too. Dallas will be a better team next season.

However Spezza has clashed with the coach, and has had his ice time cut dramatically. He may relish the opportunity to go to a new team where he is virtually assured of top-6 ice time, to prove he is worth another contract.

Honka has not panned out. He may be available. They'll probably let Hamhuis walk and look for an upgrade to their top-4 D. I could see them being VERY interested in Tanev, who could play with Heiskanen.

Tanev for Spezza, Honka, and their 1st would be a reasonable deal for both sides.

Hitchcock announced his retirement today (Apr 13) so the escaping the coach angle is irrelevant now

Archived