The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

WilliG

On 7/26/2018 at 8:37 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I have never really been anywhere.  Poor girl problems. With that, just so happy my daughter is seeing the world and living the life I never did.  She works hard, saves then takes off for weeks/months at a time. She is about to embark on a trip to:   Australia, Japan, Bali.

Any tips or feedback for her is appreciated.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but she might want to check out couchsurfing.com, where you can find places to crash for free. Me and my girlfriend have stayed in Copenhagen for a week at a girl's place who we met via this site. We brought her special foods she can't get in Denmark, as a way of thanking her, but that was it. If she wants to visit Hungary in the future, we might give her a room to stay, so that's how this whole site works.

Edited by Rubik

On 7/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I have never really been anywhere.  Poor girl problems. With that, just so happy my daughter is seeing the world and living the life I never did.  She works hard, saves then takes off for weeks/months at a time. She is about to embark on a trip to:   Australia, Japan, Bali.

Any tips or feedback for her is appreciated.

For Japan.... rent a pocket wifi as it's almost essential to get around.  While almost every sign is in English as well, their transit system is vastly different from say the Skytrain.  There could easily be 3-5 different companies with nearly parallel lines... so it's easy to get confused.  Eg. Namba on the JR line is at a different spot from Namba on the Osaka Transit line.... google map will solve most of it.  

JR passes are great to travel, but it's very easy to fall into the trap that you need to travel and see as much as you can before the pass expires.  What ends up happen is that you may spend half the time riding the bullet train than actually enjoying your surroundings.  Depending on the amount of time allocated, standard 1 week in Japan would be like.... 2-3 days in Tokyo area, 3 in Kansai area (Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, Nara), and the last 1 or 2 remaining days either visiting some spot that's on the bucket list or just simply to relax and/or shop.  

Accommodations.... I love capsule hotels.... so efficient and cheap.  They offer a place to stash your stuff, very clean and sufficient bath/shower/washing area, and a capsule that's cozy and with all the outlets to charge all your electronics.  

Food.... eat everything everywhere.  Cheap eats.... Sukiya, CoCoCurry, any convenience store and supermarkets.  One useful hint..... the prices of stuff from vending machines, convenient stores and supermarkets are nearly identical.  Maybe a slight mark up with like an extra 10-20 yen (like 10-20 cents).  

Bali.... my wife and I are becoming villa and resort snobs.... so lots of time at the hotels and stuff.  You can rent taxi drivers to drive around being tour guides.  Rates are negotiable... I think we paid like $150 bucks or something for like 12 hours.  Search around for spas.  Haggle when buying stuff. 

As for myself.... 

I have finally saved up enough points and miles for 2 First Class tickets to Japan with 2 economy on the way back, 1 week at the Marriott in Honolulu, 1 week for Ritz-Carlton Al Hamra in Dubai (about $1000 CAD per night), $800 gift cards for Hotels.com, and combined 12 nights at Best Western and Starwood.  

Total out-of-pocket costs.... less than $2000 :towel:

Now I just need to wait until my little boy is strong enough to travel.  

Edited by Lancaster
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took a bus to Brooklyn to stay with a college friend. The neighborhood was close to Pho and a Korean bakery, plus a sweet little park (Sunset Park). Tbh the best part was just seeing my friend, but second best was walking to so many good restaurants. Artichokes Pizza is incredible. It was fun!

I'm planning to visit Dominicana soon. I visited it only once a few years ago but still can't forget that journey.I've already found nice apartmants and found info about area codes at  https://areaphonecodes.com/dominican-republic/ just in case of unforeseen circumstances.  Need to book a few interesting excurtions in advance also. It's gonna be great trip!

Edited by luckyjack

• 4 weeks later...

yup New Zealand is amazing. I visited it last year, it was really cool trip. I got NZ visa online here https://www.leyovisa.co.nz/ and saved time and money. Nevet thought that applying for a visa could be so easy. I spent a week in Auckland and a few days in the south island. I was impressed with Maori cultural events and mountains.

Edited by WilliG

• 3 months later...

I am really into day trips these days.  Going to San Diego this month and Montana in April.  I am thinking about adding a 3rd day trip.  Not sure if I want to go to Vancouver, Port Townsend, the San Juans, or somewhere else.  I have been thinking about Vancouver, going up there to do the Grouse Grind, and then wine and food afterwards, but the company that does float planes up there just raised their prices by $100 each way, just in time for Spring.  So if I decide, maybe I will take a float plane up there, and either take the bus back to Seattle or a plane from YVR.

Edited by brilac
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brilac said:

I am really into day trips these days.  Going to San Diego this month and Montana in April.  I am thinking about adding a 3rd day trip.  Not sure if I want to go to Vancouver, Port Townsend, the San Juans, or somewhere else.  I have been thinking about Vancouver, going up there to do the Grouse Grind, and then wine and food afterwards, but the company that does float planes up there just raised their prices by $100 each way, just in time for Spring.  So if I decide, maybe I will take a float plane up there, and either take the bus back to Seattle or a plane from YVR.

I'm going to San Diego too!  For longer than a day though during Spring Break.

Make sure the Grind is open if you're coming to Vancouver to do that (I believe it opened at the beginning of May last year).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Make sure the Grind is open if you're coming to Vancouver to do that (I believe it opened at the beginning of May last year).

Thanks for the info on the Grouse Grind.  Maybe I will go in May.  I know it's closed right now, but I did not know it opened last year at the beginning of May.  Plus it will be warmer, and hopefully one of those float plane passenger sales will happen (they charge way less to go to the San Juans or Victoria than up to Vancouver!).  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Too funny.  I'm going to San Diego in a couple of weeks too.  But only for a day.

We're going to Disneyland for a few days, San Diego for one and Universal for one.  We're thinking of spending our San Diego day at Balboa park.  We've previously done both the Zoo and Sea World.  Apparently Balboa park is well worth seeing.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Too funny.  I'm going to San Diego in a couple of weeks too.  But only for a day.

We're going to Disneyland for a few days, San Diego for one and Universal for one.  We're thinking of spending our San Diego day at Balboa park.  We've previously done both the Zoo and Sea World.  Apparently Balboa park is well worth seeing.

Yeah, I've heard Balboa park is great too.  We'll probably check it out at some point, especially if the geocaching is good there (and I think it is).  When my wife and I were originally planning the trip it was going to be LA and San Diego so we could hit Disneyland and Legoland but with a 4 and 7 year old boys it was going to be too much of a rush (and expensive) so we figured we'd do San Diego and all it had to offer over the better part of 6 days (we're doing Sea World and one of the zoos too), then hit LA and Disneyland a few years from now.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, I've heard Balboa park is great too.  We'll probably check it out at some point, especially if the geocaching is good there (and I think it is).  When my wife and I were originally planning the trip it was going to be LA and San Diego so we could hit Disneyland and Legoland but with a 4 and 7 year old boys it was going to be too much of a rush (and expensive) so we figured we'd do San Diego and all it had to offer over the better part of 6 days (we're doing Sea World and one of the zoos too), then hit LA and Disneyland a few years from now.

That's a great way to do it.  I've often said that it's better to save Disneyland until the kids are tall enough to go on all the rides.

We're using San Diego as a break from the madness that is Disneyland.  Don't get me wrong, we like Disneyland, but my wife is a school teacher so we can only go at the busiest times of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

For those going to San Diego, La Puerta in the Gaslamp District is excellent. 

I've been traveling a lot for work. Last month or so I've been in Red Deer, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and as of right now, Prince Albert. Last night, somebody in the room next to me was arrested by police. This morning, someone was using heroin in a bathroom. This evening, some guy was smashing his fists into the pavement in the hotel parking lot. I'm living a life of luxury. 

• Haha 2

Went chillin' at the beach on Coronado Island yesterday.  Flew down from Seattle with my Mother, and we took the bus to downtown San Diego from the airport, spent an hour downtown, went to Dunkin' Donuts, and then took the bus to Coronado Island. What a neat place this is!  It is so my element!  Spent all day here, and ate lunch outside at the Sheerwater at Hotel del Coronado.  What a day!  I must go down here again!   I love it here!  After spending the day on Coronado Island, we took the bus back to downtown, and then the bus to the airport.  

IMG_20190316_110156714.thumb.jpg.2e172ad51a8ecdf2262bd0000d5d18e4.jpg

Edited by brilac