The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

WilliG

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Thanks for the response. We are thinking of spending minimal time in Zurich, if any. We just need to sort out whether we enter from Italy and exit via Italy or enter through Germany and exit into Italy (we fly into Frankfurt). We plan on only spending a few days to keep costs down and will spend most of our time in the southern alps around Lauterbrunnen I think. Did you take any trains in the alps and/or between the towns in the area?

No, we just took the train straight from Milan (which was a great trip) and then stayed with friends that showed us around Zurich. I know they spent some time in Saint Anton am Arlberg which is on the Austrian side of the Alps and Realp, on the Swiss side.  

• Cheers 1

For those looking for something different, a magical adventure, I'd recommend Iceland.  It is so magical there! I went there years ago for my birthday.  Underground cave diving, the Blue Lagoon, and the Golden Circle tour are fantastic, as well as many other things there! One of the things I especially enjoyed was waking up really early to walk around Reykjavik when no one else is out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to visit Europe next month. I heard many positive reviews about Prague so decided to fisit it first. I've already found appartments near the city center and booked one local massage parlour here. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome trip. 

Edited by luckyjack

9 hours ago, luckyjack said:

I want to visit Europe next month. I heard many positive reviews about Prague so decided to fisit it first. I've already found appartments near the city center and booked one local massage parlour here. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome trip. 

Prague is a great city. If you can swing it Cesky Krumlov is a worth a stop, you only need a day or 2. It is a small Czech town with a river and castle going through it, some nice restaurants/patios along the river. Krakow is also worth going to, not only for Auschwitz (super powerful and worth while) but the town itself is pretty cool. I haven't been but apparently Budapest is a worthwhile stop as well. An added bonus - Eastern Europe is much easier on the wallet compared to the West.

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 7:14 AM, riffraff said:

I went to Langley a few weeks ago

Sometimes local trips can be the best.

In Fort Langley do the fort to fort walk along the river..  Bedford Channel...... super beautiful......

I love spending lazy afternoons in Fort Langley...

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sometimes local trips can be the best.

In Fort Langley do the fort to fort walk along the river..  Bedford Channel...... super beautiful......

I love spending lazy afternoons in Fort Langley...

I wish I had more time that weekend to go to Fort Langley 

i used to go there as kid.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Linz, Austria. My purpose going there is cultural and historical...to see those places in Linz. Linz is a province capital, which makes it interesting in that regard. I took Linz Airport taxi and went to explore the city. In 2014 I missed their special 1914 exhibit at the Schloss on the "the war in Upper Austria." ("Der Krieg in Oberösterreich"). I like Linz, not inundated with tourists, very interesting, have not been to those places listed above. Linz can be visited as a day trip, start early, much more interesting as a province capital. Linz is very underrated from a touristic point of view. You must discover its beauty and its secrets. The town was generally viewed as purely industrial for decades, because Austria's largest steel mill is there.

Edited by Daffan
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

After watching The Lord of the Rings always wanted to go to New Zealand and see for myself the beauty of this country. Hope 1 day this wish will come true. May be mistaken but I think that The Legendary Journeys of Hercules (a series in the 90s) was also filmed in New Zealand. Last summer I was lucky enough to travel to ... Tanzania for a safari! It was absolutely awesome! Enjoyed my 2-week staying there greatly (thank https://en.altezza.travel/ for highly professional guides and reasonable prices). Highly recommend visiting this country! 

Edited by Timont
remembered additional info

4 hours ago, Timont said:

After watching The Lord of the Rings always wanted to go to New Zealand and see for myself the beauty of this country. Hope 1 day this wish will come true. May be mistaken but I think that The Legendary Journeys of Hercules (a series in the 90s) was also filmed in New Zealand. 

NZ is great.  Spent about 9 months there back in 07.

in short the north island is like a sub tropical coastal BC.

south island is colder.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My wife won't shut up about wanting to go back to Japan.  Save me, pleaseeeeee.... :frantic:

(actually, I want to go back to Japan too, except my wallet is extremely light these days and my pants pockets seem to have holes all over)

Just go all budget mode.  Sleep in karaoke rooms, capsules, dine at places under 800 yen, stay in a single prefecture instead of getting a JR pass, etc.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Got back from Budapest and Berlin a couple of weeks ago and I'm heading to Singapore, Bali and Thailand in January. I love saving my vacation days until the end of the leave year.

And they reset on February 1st so I'll have another 36 for next year.

Effing lazy euro bum! ;)

Don't worry, just jealous here, and I'm better off than many with my 23 days.  Half again just sounds so decadent.  Read: awesome!

Sounds like some fun trips!

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

In London.  Arrived on Sunday, and leave Wednesday.  The flight was 8 1/2 hours from Seattle.  It was a good flight, but a bit bumpy over Quebec, then straightened out over Newfoundland and over the Atlantic.  I arrived, and the customs processed was quick.  I scanned my passport, and did not speak to an agent.  Then I took the Piccadilly Line into Central London.

This is mainly what I came here for:

0D767FCA-0D09-44CD-9951-FB8A1DB5A717.thumb.jpeg.6bd272e9d1106a38d0d4aa989a84146b.jpeg

I love this place!  All the history!  I find it so fascinating, and am like in awe/wow!  

Went to Harrods and other places.  Went to the Dessert bar and had champagne and dessert.  Then checked out the designer handbags and jewellery, and then went to the Pasta bar for more champagne and pasta.  It was a champagne moment at Harrods.  After that I took the Tube back to the hotel. 

829D3292-C587-4649-A987-679B4A5AEEF4.thumb.jpeg.7231a4cd020aef5efefdbf001590fa19.jpeg

Today I went to Westminster Abbey.  That is a fascinating place as well, and with all the history!  Now I am at a Pub having Fish and Chips, and Champagne. 

1C9C940A-6323-47C3-B60E-62C23B0A8BE1.thumb.jpeg.286d8304ebced47f9d248bfccf223487.jpeg

After this, I am heading to Kensington High Street. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1