The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there an appetite to try and get back Cory Schneider at a reduced, competitive salary?

So Cory Schneider has fallen out of favour in Jersey. We know what he IS capable of but I'm sure no one would take a chance on his salary. If Jersey would eat 2-3 mil per season of it, would he be welcomed back here? I think one of the goalies has to go, here. They were never good enough to keep the team in games often enough. Personally, I don't wanna see Demko make the team yet. Goalies take alot of time to develop and become stellar. How long did it take Schneids to make the jump. 7 years AFTER being drafted. Maybe Demko is better, but even Markstrom was stellar in the AHL and he still can't completely seem to find his footing. Maybe Jersey would be interested in a goalie swap, here? 

It would be very risky for New Jersey to trade Schneider without getting a starting goalie in return.  Kinkaid has been fine this year, but he's not an elite goalie and never will be.  Schneider had a bad year, for sure, but his ceiling is far higher than Kinkaid's.  It's a different situation that Washington, where Grubauer is likely ready to be a true #1 goalie to take over for Holtby.  Personally I think New Jersey would be better off trying to get Schneider back on track next year. 

We need to leave that era behind. Still, I'd probably consider:

Van: Markstrom, Gagner

NJ: Schneids(retain 1 mill, x 4 more yrs), their 2018 or 2019 1st

There's a certain irony in the main Lu-piece(Markstrom) bringing Cory back.

NJ couldn't be happy to send us another 1st.

13 minutes ago, underrated said:

It would be very risky for New Jersey to trade Schneider without getting a starting goalie in return.  Kinkaid has been fine this year, but he's not an elite goalie and never will be.  Schneider had a bad year, for sure, but his ceiling is far higher than Kinkaid's.  It's a different situation that Washington, where Grubauer is likely ready to be a true #1 goalie to take over for Holtby.  Personally I think New Jersey would be better off trying to get Schneider back on track next year. 

Of course THEY would be. It's a stealthy move though. Plus maybe they try and get Kovalchuk back, considering the history there? Point being is, is there an appetite for this kind of move here? That is the question.

lol...

A bad few months during a time in which he was injured multiple times, and he’s fallen out of favour?

It’s a bad year. Bobrovsky and Price have done the same thing when plagued with injuries. Last year his stats were below average because the team was old, broken, slow and hot garbage. Did you not see Schneider carry NJ the first bit this season? He is still a top 10 goalie in the league.

Completely unrealistic for NJ to trade him and retain money. If it happens, then Shero is the new Chiarelli. 

You don’t trade good players after one bad season, a la Eberle.

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Has he fallen out of favour with them? Or is this a quick overreaction to Game 1

Kikaid has been playing well. Schneider can't stay healthy. Schneider makes 6M. NJD Fans reacting saying move Schneider. Nothing new.

33 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

lol...

A bad few months during a time in which he was injured multiple times, and he’s fallen out of favour?

It’s a bad year. Bobrovsky and Price have done the same thing when plagued with injuries. Last year his stats were below average because the team was old, broken, slow and hot garbage. Did you not see Schneider carry NJ the first bit this season? He is still a top 10 goalie in the league.

Completely unrealistic for NJ to trade him and retain money. If it happens, then Shero is the new Chiarelli. 

You don’t trade good players after one bad season, a la Eberle.

If he were top 10, he would be playing in the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Has he fallen out of favour with them? Or is this a quick overreaction to Game 1

Game 1? His last win was the end of December 2017. Kinkaid has clearly taken the net for NJ and has given up 4 goals against in the 1st game of the playoffs vs. Tampa Bay as of this second. I'd be cautious of his rapid decline this season considering he is with goalie coach Rollie Melanson who was his coach here in Vancouver when he was so promising.

I don't think that Markstrom has fallen out of favor enough to justify a change this quickly, but if Schneider continues on his downward trajectory and Markstrom falls flat on his face next year, I would consider bringing Schneids in as a backup to Demko. The fellow BC grad Schneider, could push Demko to be a great goalie in his own right.

Schneider a backup again. whoda thunk it.

11 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Game 1? His last win was the end of December 2017. Kinkaid has clearly taken the net for NJ and has given up 4 goals against in the 1st game of the playoffs vs. Tampa Bay as of this second. I'd be cautious of his rapid decline this season considering he is with goalie coach Rollie Melanson who was his coach here in Vancouver when he was so promising.

I don't think that Markstrom has fallen out of favor enough to justify a change this quickly, but if Schneider continues on his downward trajectory and Markstrom falls flat on his face next year, I would consider bringing Schneids in as a backup to Demko. The fellow BC grad Schneider, could push Demko to be a great goalie in his own right.

I didn't realize he wasn't even 'the guy' anymore in NJ. Checking his stats, 10 GP in 2018, 0 Wins. And his highest SV% in those losses was .900

Poor guy

15 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Either one of our goalies, plus them eating some of Schneid's salary would probably work. Doesn't HAVE to be Markstrom. Markstrom hasn't fallen out of favour either? Who said that? I just said neither were all that good to keep us in games all the time. Would be like a change of scenery swap.

Archived