The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there an appetite to try and get back Cory Schneider at a reduced, competitive salary?

26 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

If he were top 10, he would be playing in the playoffs.

He is having a bad season because he has been injuried most of the year... He needs time to get his game back, which is hard mid season especially when it’s been multiple injuries in different places. 

He isn’t playing because the people in charge aren’t idiots. Kinkaid has been good, Schneider has not.

Edit: I feel like you are seeing his bad play, and not starting the playoffs , as falling out of favour. My point was, it’s not. He’s not playing well because he needs an offseason to get healthy and be ready. And he isn’t starting game 1 because he has been bad. It would be extremely foolish to trade Schneider now for low value. 

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

He is having a bad season because he has been injuried most of the year... He needs time to get his game back, which is hard mid season especially when it’s been multiple injuries in different places. 

He isn’t playing because the people in charge aren’t idiots. Kinkaid has been good, Schneider has not.

It changes year after year, man. People fall out of favour and people have bad years. I think it all depends on where NJ sits, whether the brass here would even want him back, or whether they think Kinkaid could be a starter. In all honesty, we don't know the answer to any of that, BUT it is an interesting point to bring up AND our goaltending needs to be better. How else could that happen? There aren't many other options out there. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Has he fallen out of favour with them? Or is this a quick overreaction to Game 1

Kinkaid  has been unreal this year  and the Devils have seen that Schnieds is slightly better than average.  Kinkaid should ask for a trade and let the devils twist in the wind :D

Schneider for Eirksson straight up.

Devils don't need Schneider, but rather need more NHL calibre forwards. We don't need Eriksson, and he never fit in here, but Schneider would be a much better option than Markstrom. Expensive, but better. 

Both players have 4 years left on deals with a 6 million cap hit per season, with no trade clauses. Eriksson would go to New Jersey, as he would be an addition to a playoff team in the east. Schneider would come back home, because in New Jersey, he is now a backup. In Vancouver, he can be the starter.

Schneider would also be a much better mentor for Demko. He has more years as a real starter in this league, rather than Markstrom. Has been an All star Calibre Goaltender, unlike Markstrom. And he even went to Boston College just like Demko, went through the Vanucks minor team ranks, and then developed into an NHL goalie. He would be perfect to match up with Demko.

Also gives Demko a stable timeline going forward. Next year, he starts in the AHL, and hopefully does well. 2nd year, he gets called up as the backup to Schneider. third year, he likely takes a second year as Schneiders backup, as Schneider winds down. 4th year, he splits 50/50 with Schneider taking his place at 26 years old.

Trade Markstrom for a pick, or a package deal.

I didn't respond to your post so I'm not sure about the Markstrom comment. The fact is that Markstrom in his 1st season as a starter steadily improved, both with his game and the media. I think Marky needs another chance at the #1 spot this coming season to try to establish himself. Maybe he can be the mentor for Demko and pass his knowledge on and maybe he turns into a legit starter.

Our prospects seem to be on a slow, steady upward curve, instead of the young whippersnappers who jump into the league and just wow people right away. I'd prefer the former, because they keep our team more affordable in the salary cap era. If we can get a few Yanni Gourdes along the way so much the better.

Wow. I guess I’m the one out to lunch here. Everyone seems to agree with the premise of the OP.

Feel Like I just woke up from a coma. I guess I was just thinking this was similar to the Eberle situation. Trading a player who had their worst year (Eberle), for a player who had his best year (strome); which wasn’t even better. I think Schneider for Markstorm would be direct comparable of a stupid trade. 

I'd be on board with it as long as we don't give up too much. I like the Eriksson idea, though I wonder if Jersey would give him another season to return to form vs making a soft deal to get rid of him.

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

well lets see, He left as he wanted to be closer to home

means NO way he wants to come back here as he is happy where he is

do people forget why he left that fast????

Because we had 2 star goalies & chose to trade him??

6 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

well lets see, He left as he wanted to be closer to home

Where did you hear this from?

means NO way he wants to come back here as he is happy where he is

How exactly is he happy when the Devils are not playing him in the playoffs?

do people forget why he left that fast????

Again, are you saying Schneider requested a trade out of Vancouver? If so, what is your evidence?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] Is there an appetite to try and get back Cory Schneider at a reduced, competitive salary?
2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Where did you hear this from?

How exactly is he happy when the Devils are not playing him in the playoffs?

Again, are you saying Schneider requested a trade out of Vancouver? If so, what is your evidence?

This is VC's way of saying...

"Does not compute..."

I was looking at stats earlier because I thinking to myself why the hell

is kinkaid starting tonight. I seen Marky actually doesn’t have the worst of stats it really surprised me.

he has better stats then shnides, price Holtby Anderson but that being said they mostly had poor year. It’s a hard pass for me, no goalie controversy for Demko 

Archived