The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there an appetite to try and get back Cory Schneider at a reduced, competitive salary?

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It was a horrible choice to make. For what Luongo did for the team, he should have been given the crease for that game. No question.

Tortorella is a pretty good coach, but in Vancouver he made some irretrievably stupid choices. I think that the choice to start Lack coupled with trying to kill Hartley sealed his fate. 

that choice would not have happened under Linden. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nor Benning or especially Green. They understand the meaning of legacy and respect.

If Gillis wasn't shell shocked from 2011 he would have seen it too. I think that defeat crushed him and he made a series of stupid moves in that last year that he never would have otherwise. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Gillis wasn't shell shocked from 2011 he would have seen it too. I think that defeat crushed him and he made a series of stupid moves in that last year that he never would have otherwise. 

Gillis should have stepped in when he heard that Torts made the decision to start Lack, unless Torts kept it to himself.

After 2011, he made horrible moves that did nothing to help the team, as they kept on getting worse. His biggest failure was not doing enough to get some legitimate size on the team during a time when the team was being pushed around, and essentially out of the first round.

To go from the Finals, to a first round exit the following year, is pathetic.

12 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Markstrom is not a good example,he just plain sucks. He sucked in Florida as well, it is well they traded him. There are tons of young starters out there, and they usually start their NHL careers by the age of 23-24. Demko is 22, so... 

You seem to have completely missed the point and look biased towards Demko already making the team. The point is Markstrom still hasn't figured it out and goalies really DO take awhile to find their footing, unless they're absolute aces. Do we want Demko to be decent in net for us or do we want him to be stellar? Time will tell. Maybe he will have a good playoff run with the Comets. Maybe he won't. All I know is I want what's best for him and I believe that's more seasoning in the AHL. This is only his 2nd year in Utica.

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The Luongo issue actually dates back to when AV was here.  He misplayed his goaltenders during the playoffs, and then after he got fired, Torts had to deal with the fallout.  Gillis is also to blame here for letting things get out of hand.

Don't forget, though, that many people on here were screaming to trade Luongo long before the 2011 finals, mainly because of his contracts (both the one he signed with Nonis, and the one he re-upped with Gillis).

I wouldn't be against the notion of bringing Schneider back, but the real question would be would he want to come back knowing he won't be the 1A man?

As far as Schneids is concerned, I think if he were to come back, the best goalie gets the majority of time in net.

15 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Your 2nd and 3rd trade seems to make Schenider have NEGATIVE value. Does he have negative value???

With his contract and the fact that it's unclear if his ability to bounce back...kinda, which is why I would take him back if some salary was retained.

22 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We need to leave that era behind. Still, I'd probably consider:

Van: Markstrom, Gagner

NJ: Schneids(retain 1 mill, x 4 more yrs), their 2018 or 2019 1st

There's a certain irony in the main Lu-piece(Markstrom) bringing Cory back.

NJ couldn't be happy to send us another 1st.

That's hilarious.  NJ counters Bo Horvat for Schneider straight up.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd be on board with it as long as we don't give up too much. I like the Eriksson idea, though I wonder if Jersey would give him another season to return to form vs making a soft deal to get rid of him.

Because we had 2 star goalies & chose to trade him??

yes but he also said in the interview when he was traded that he wanted to be close to his family so they could watch him more , meaning there was talk about where he wanted to go

On 4/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Where did you hear this from?

How exactly is he happy when the Devils are not playing him in the playoffs?

Again, are you saying Schneider requested a trade out of Vancouver? If so, what is your evidence?

again I will say watch the interview after he was traded he said he wanted to be closer to home meaning the team talked to him and helped him with a trade to get him close to home

this team does try to help players via trades if you look back , exactly like the Luo trade he went where he wanted to, Cory we got him as close as we could as we wanted a top ten pick and the Devils was the only team near boston where Cory if from that would give us that pick, worked out for both

i think the GM has to make every effort to improve his team.  To me goaltending was a weak spot this season and could use improving.  If Schneider is available, then yes make an offer.  The only way this should not be done is if it becomes a negative impact to Demkos development.

On 2018-04-13 at 1:56 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

We need to leave that era behind. Still, I'd probably consider:

Van: Markstrom, Gagner

NJ: Schneids(retain 1 mill, x 4 more yrs), their 2018 or 2019 1st

There's a certain irony in the main Lu-piece(Markstrom) bringing Cory back.

NJ couldn't be happy to send us another 1st.

Yes I think they would probably avoid trading with us just because of the poor optics for them.

Archived