The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks roster year end grades

Odd.

Thoughts on certain players, who stood out to you? Who didn't... etc etc. you dont need to write a report on every player. 

My grades for every single player who played:

Brock Boeser A+

-What can I say, this guy was phenomenal. Sucks that he suffered that brutal injury but hopefully he recovers and is ready for next season.

Bo Horvat A

-44pts in 64gp, Horvat had another solid year. Would've eclipsed his 52 points achieved last season had he not been injured. Very confident in him being our top centerman.

Daniel Sedin A

- Despite being 37 years old, Daniel still has a lot of hockey left in him. 23 goals this year. Going to miss him and Henrik dearly. Happy retirement.

Alex Edler A-

-Was our best defenseman period. Edler's resurgence was also one of our bright spots. Was physical, was excellent both offensively and defensively and top 5 in the league in most blocked shots. 

Brendan Leipsic A-

-Ever since we acquired, every game he's played for us he was our best player. Very electric game-changing ability. 

Chris Tanev B

-Injury riddled season, was good in the games he played. Hopefully he has a good summer of recovering and is ready for camp. 

Jussi Jokinen B-

In his short amount of games played he was one of our best offensive forwards. Wouldn't mind signing him to a 1 year contract.

Brandon Sutter B-

Was a solid, reliable 3rd line center for us. Had 9 points in his last 8 games with a few highlight reel goals. Great defensive forward.

Derrick Dorsett B-

was playing awesome up until that unfortunate re-injuring of his neck which he had to retire. Will be missed.

Jacob Markstrom B- -

Was solid on most nights. Had those gaffe's but it seemed like near the last 20 games he was much more prepared and calm. 

Alex Biega C+

- Was a solid 6th/7th defenseman for us.

Henrik Sedin C+

-3 goals this year. 47 assists, but to be honest, he looked really done. Was a liability at times. But the last few games I've seen a gear in him that I haven't seen in a long time.

Adam Gaudette C+

-Was average, looked a little a step or two slower his first 3 games but his last 2 games he terrific. Could've had a couple of points.

Troy Stecher C+

-Very intelligent and mobile. Green didn't use him on the power-play this year hence decrease in points but he was good for us. Needs to work on his shot.

Jake Virtanen C+

-Had a slow start to the season but had a very strong showing late in the season. The last few games of the season Virtanen was controlling the game, hopefully he continues to improve in the off-season.

Ashton Sautner C+

I liked him. Saw flashes of a young Kevin Bieksa in him. Strong, tough defenseman with an offensive upside. Was very unfortunate that his 1st career goal was disallowed. Was a beautiful goal.

Nikolaj Goldobin C+

-Like Virtanen, had a slow start but towards the end of the season he was on fire. Needs to work on consistency and his defensive game.

Sven Baertschi C+

-Was decent. Baertschi frustrated me. He's a perimeter player that doesn't really do a whole lot to retrieve the puck. Didn't battle and lacked effort. His game suffered when he wasn't playing with Horvat.

Micheal Del Zotto C+

-Sercivable top 4 defenseman. Lead all defenseman in the league in hits and top 5 overall I believe. Has his defensive deficiencies but he's looked solid.

Darren Archibald C+

-Great physical forward, provided a lot of grit and toughness. Very solid.

Derrick Pouliot C

-Was average. Had second most points of all defenseman on our team, but his defensive game is quite inconsistent. Good PMD.

Reid Boucher C

-Didn't generate a whole lot during his time year. didn't get much ice-time and his foot-speed isn't up there. Needs more effort.

Brendan Gaunce C

-Good defensive player but that's about it. Doesn't seem to have any offensive upside, puck dies on his stick a lot.

Sam Gagner C

-Had quite a lackadaisical start to the season, was largely inconsistent throughout the year. 31pts, but would've liked to see a lot more from him.

Loui Eriksson C

-Short season for him, had a good stretch of offense but then disappeared. His defensive game makes up for a lot of that offense he hasn't seem to regain.

Nic Dowd C

-Good stopgap player. I actually liked his game and I thought he looked a little snake bitten. Started to fade away late in the season (got benched too). Could still be a serviceable 4th line/13th forward.

Tyler Motte C

-Very bursty skater, but lacks the finish. Good run and gun type player. Can see him battling for a roster spot in September.

Ben Hutton C-  -

Was terrible this year. Needs to put this year behind him and focus on his conditioning and skating. Has to come to camp prepared or his days are numbered.

Anders Nilsson C- 

-I don't know what was wrong with Nilsson, started the year 5-2 including 2 shutouts but after the baby he seemed quite distracted. Didn't scream confident goaltender.

Markus Granlund C- 

-Granlund didn't really play well at all. Had only 8g and 5pts in 53gp. Injury riddled season for him, but he's going to need come to camp prepared. Needs to be consistent.

Erik Gudbranson C-

Thought he struggled defensively this year. Didn't provide a lot of physicality too until around the time of his injury. Needs a resurgence year.

Alex Burmistrov F

-Had high hopes but when things didn't work out decided to leave team.

Thomas Vanek was also fantastic during his time here. Going to miss him.

Archibald: B (Didn't expect anything from him TBH. Great surprise)

Baertschi: B

Biega: C+

Boeser: A+

Boucher: C

Burmistrov: F

Del Zotto: C

Dorsett: A+

Dowd: C

Edler: B

Eriksson: C-

Gagner: D

Gaunce: C

Goldobin: C (Needs to work on his game away from the puck)

Granlund: F

Gudbranson: C-/D+

Horvat: A

Hutton: F (I expected him to take big steps toward a Top 4 position this year. Bad year for him.)

Jokinen: B+ (Nice late surprise)

Leipsic: B+ 

Markstrom: D+

Motte: C

Nilsson: F (Take away his two shut outs in October and his save% is ABYSMAL, as is his record) 

Pouliot: C- 

Daniel Sedin: B

Henrik Sedin: C+

Stecher: C+/B-

Sutter: C+

Tanev: B+

Vanek: A

Virtanen: B-

The goaltending and defense had a rough year, but a couple players took a good few steps. Excited to see what next year brings.

Excluded: Players who played less than 10 games

This is also based on Expectation vs Reality. For example, I didn't expect much from Pouliot, whereas Hutton had higher expectations this season.

B- for Dorsett! That’s wild he was the MVP!

On the serious side you really think Jake was a C+?what about his play didn’t you like? All I would have like if he score more but those back checks he had I was insanely happy with his Development is going great!

4 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

B- for Dorsett! That’s wild he was the MVP!

On the serious side you really think Jake was a C+?what about his play didn’t you like? All I would have like if he score more but those back checks he had I was insanely happy with his Development is going great!

He's been largely inconsistent. There's been times where he's been extremely non-existent in games or disinterested. He's been great defensively though. Just hasn't been able to figure out the offense. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Thoughts on certain players, who stood out to you? Who didn't... etc etc. you dont need to write a report on every player. 

Good assessments (i.e. pretty close to my own views ::D).

The OP was little tough on Stecher and Baertschi, I would probably move them from C+ to B-. Also, I am not a big Gubranson fan and think that there has been a tendency on CDC to over-rate him, partly to "justify" Benning's decision to trade for him. But C- is harsh, I would at least move him to "C" or maybe even "C+".

On the other side, Boeser had a great rookie season, marred by a late injury. But I would have been content with "A", instead of going to A+. (I'd give the A+ to Barzal). And I would drop Leipsic from A- to B+. He looked intriguing, but A- is a bit high. 

I think calling Pouliot "average" was generous, although we often use the term "average" to mean "not very good". But on most teams in the league I think Pouliot would have been in the press box. He still has potential, but his defence was shaky this year. Some of the other "C" grades were also pretty generous. Boucher, Gaunce, Dowd, and Motte were, in my view, not good enough to be regulars on a good (i.e. playoff contending) team. I doubt if any of them will be in the starting line-up to start next season, although Gaunce has a chance.

Still, no major complaints with the list.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Brock Boeser A+

-What can I say, this guy was phenomenal. Sucks that he suffered that brutal injury but hopefully he recovers and is ready for next season.

Bo Horvat A

-44pts in 64gp, Horvat had another solid year. Would've eclipsed his 52 points achieved last season had he not been injured. Very confident in him being our top centerman.

Daniel Sedin A

- Despite being 37 years old, Daniel still has a lot of hockey left in him. 23 goals this year. Going to miss him and Henrik dearly. Happy retirement.

Alex Edler A-

-Was our best defenseman period. Edler's resurgence was also one of our bright spots. Was physical, was excellent both offensively and defensively and top 5 in the league in most blocked shots. 

Brendan Leipsic A-

-Ever since we acquired, every game he's played for us he was our best player. Very electric game-changing ability. 

Chris Tanev B

-Injury riddled season, was good in the games he played. Hopefully he has a good summer of recovering and is ready for camp. 

Jussi Jokinen B-

In his short amount of games played he was one of our best offensive forwards. Wouldn't mind signing him to a 1 year contract.

Brandon Sutter B-

Was a solid, reliable 3rd line center for us. Had 9 points in his last 8 games with a few highlight reel goals. Great defensive forward.

Derrick Dorsett B-

was playing awesome up until that unfortunate re-injuring of his neck which he had to retire. Will be missed.

Jacob Markstrom B- -

Was solid on most nights. Had those gaffe's but it seemed like near the last 20 games he was much more prepared and calm. 

Alex Biega C+

Henrik Sedin C+

-3 goals this year. 47 assists, but to be honest, he looked really done. Was a liability at times. But the last few games I've seen a gear in him that I haven't seen in a long time.

Adam Gaudette C+

-Was average, looked a little a step or two slower his first 3 games but his last 2 games he terrific. Could've had a couple of points.

Troy Stecher C+

-Very intelligent and mobile. Green didn't use him on the power-play this year hence decrease in points but he was good for us. Needs to work on his shot.

Jake Virtanen C+

-Had a slow start to the season but had a very strong showing late in the season. The last few games of the season Virtanen was controlling the game, hopefully he continues to improve in the off-season.

Ashton Sautner C+

I liked him. Saw flashes of a young Kevin Bieksa in him. Strong, tough defenseman with an offensive upside. Was very unfortunate that his 1st career goal was disallowed. Was a beautiful goal.

Nikolaj Goldobin C+

-Like Virtanen, had a slow start but towards the end of the season he was on fire. Needs to work on consistency and his defensive game.

Sven Baertschi C+

-Was decent. Baertschi frustrated me. He's a perimeter player that doesn't really do a whole lot to retrieve the puck. Didn't battle and lacked effort. His game suffered when he wasn't playing with Horvat.

Micheal Del Zotto C+

-Sercivable top 4 defenseman. Lead all defenseman in the league in hits and top 5 overall I believe. Has his defensive deficiencies but he's looked solid.

Darren Archibald C+

Derrick Pouliot C

-Was average. Had second most points of all defenseman on our team, but his defensive game is quite inconsistent. Good PMD.

Reid Boucher C

-Didn't generate a whole lot during his time year. didn't get much ice-time and his foot-speed isn't up there. Needs more effort.

Brendan Gaunce C

-Good defensive player but that's about it. Doesn't seem to have any offensive upside, puck dies on his stick a lot.

Sam Gagner C

-Had quite a lackadaisical start to the season, was largely inconsistent throughout the year. 31pts, but would've liked to see a lot more from him.

Loui Eriksson C

-Short season for him, had a good stretch of offense but then disappeared. His defensive game makes up for a lot of that offense he hasn't seem to regain.

Nic Dowd C

-Good stopgap player. I actually liked his game and I thought he looked a little snake bitten. Started to fade away late in the season (got benched too). Could still be a serviceable 4th line/13th forward.

Tyler Motte C

-Very bursty skater, but lacks the finish. Good run and gun type player. Can see him battling for a roster spot in September.

Ben Hutton C-  -

Was terrible this year. Needs to put this year behind him and focus on his conditioning and skating. Has to come to camp prepared or his days are numbered.

Anders Nilsson C- 

-I don't know what was wrong with Nilsson, started the year 5-2 including 2 shutouts but after the baby he seemed quite distracted. Didn't scream confident goaltender.

Markus Granlund C- 

-Granlund didn't really play well at all. Had only 8g and 5pts in 53gp. Injury riddled season for him, but he's going to need come to camp prepared. Needs to be consistent.

Erik Gudbranson C-

Thought he struggled defensively this year. Didn't provide a lot of physicality too until around the time of his injury. Needs a resurgence year.

Alex Burmistrov F

Sorry your grades are off..lol..lol lol lol

D.Sedin A- 56 pts --- H.Sedin Ct 53 pts ??? Both players are the same, Danny would never score 23 goals without brother,  Henerk is the set up guy...

NO A on this team? 

Boser Bt 

Bo  Bt

Sedins Ct

Liepsic C t -- No A  lol lol

Your very generous  on grades.. We had lots of Ct players, C and some just get a big-----P

It's funny how these ratings threads always give all our players such high grades!  We've been one of the worst teams in the league for years now (with one of the highest payrolls).  Almost everyone deserves failing grades, especially management.  The Sedins were amongst the highest-paid players in the league, yet Daniel barely cracked the top-100 in scoring and Henrik didn't even come close.  That doesn't deserve an A.  Not even close.

5 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

It's funny how these ratings threads always give all our players such high grades!  We've been one of the worst teams in the league for years now (with one of the highest payrolls).  Almost everyone deserves failing grades, especially management.  The Sedins were amongst the highest-paid players in the league, yet Daniel barely cracked the top-100 in scoring and Henrik didn't even come close.  That doesn't deserve an A.  Not even close.

Ohhhhhhhh boy

12 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Almost everyone deserves failing grades, especially management.  

Taking a prospect pool ranked 28-30 in the NHL by all accounts to top 10, and perhaps top 5, in three years is a failing grade?   Without the third worst injury impact, and most to front line/top 4 D, in the entire league and still played a better brand of hockey and easily could have been vastly improved in points total with even a modest bit of injury good luck?

Your team's management has your franchise pointed in a very good direction whether you seem to be noticing or not.

Players that stood out to me:

Virtanen:  He made big strides this season.  I'm not concerned at all about a lack of points.  He got better over the course of the season and that's what you want to see.  He didn't tire out which really impressed me.  

Pouliot: I was undecided on him for a long while. Lately though, I'm seeing more of the player I'd like to see.  When he is on his game he is crafty with the puck and mobile.  His knock is consistency and the occasional turn over.  I hope he works hard in the off season and comes to camp ready to impress.  

Leipsic and Motte: really like these new players.  Motte is good defensively, almost honey badger-esque if you will.  Leipsic is quick and shifty with the puck, an element the team could use.

Only ranked players that played 25+ games

Boeser - A+  One of the best rookie seasons in Canucks history, amazing

Daniel & Hank - Retire 1st & 3rd in team scoring and had an amazing last home game

Horvat - A  Career high in goals despite being injured for 18 games.

Tanev - A  Just Tanev being Tanev

Edler - A-  Another solid season from the poor man's Ohlund

Del Zotto - B  2nd highest scoring D and feisty attitude

Pouliot - B-  Tied for 2nd highest for points among D in 1st full season, though -22

Virtanen - C+  Similar stats to rookie season but improved game away from puck

Baertschi - C  Injuries derailed a decent season

Biega - C  Set few very modest career highs

Archibald - C  Came in with low expectations and met them

Gagner - C-  Failed to live up to expectations

Sutter - C-  Good D doesn't offset just 11 goals for his salary

Goldobin - D  Needs to score more to offset not bringing anything other than scoring

Stecher - D  Took a step back from rookie season

Gudbranson - D  No offense, questionable defense, injuries, $4,000,000

Dowd - F  3 points in 40 games

Gaunce - F  Hasn't improved

Hutton - F  His worst season by far

Granlund - F  Took a big step back then got injured

Eriksson - F  Worst year since his rookie season, worst contract since Messier?

5 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

The goaltending and defense had a rough year, but a couple players took a good few steps. Excited to see what next year brings.

Excluded: Players who played less than 10 games

This is also based on Expectation vs Reality. For example, I didn't expect much from Pouliot, whereas Hutton had higher expectations this season.

I'm going to borrow you're schematic, hope that's ok! 

It's interesting to see how some people see the team. I thought I'd rate them based on my expectations from the start of the season. 

Archibald (B-): The guy played his balls off in Utica and earned another bite in the NHL. For an older guy, this should be viewed as a huge success. To think that just a couple years back he wasn't even offered a contract to start the season. I'm giving him a B- because although he came in the way he did, his game changed from the punisher he was in Utica to what he ended up playing here. I don't know if that's on Green or on him, but it would be nice to see him really give it to some guys every now and then.

Baertschi (D): Scored at roughly a 45 point pace, which is great. This season was not good for him. He kept getting injured at bad times and it looks like now his role in the top 6 might be taken away. I was hoping he would break out this year, but with these turn of events, it looks like he might end up becoming a trade asset in the next year or two. I'm not the biggest fan of his defensive acumen either and personally would rather give the top 2 LW spots to Goldobin/Leipsic or even Dahlen. I'd like to see him play with Sutter or Gaudette, and see if he has value playing with them. No longer has a clear defined role, in my eyes, that's a step back.

Biega (B-): Nothing much to say about Biega. He had a wonderful opportunity with all our injuries and there were games where he looked like he could play the whole game without missing a step. Could not ask for much more from our 7th defenseman. Very comfortable with him being in the top 6 if needed. Good year for the guy.

Boeser (A+): Challenged for the Calder, got unlucky. Phenomenal rookie season, where he showed he was in the same league as some of the superstars in the league. Played a long stretch without any offensive help and still scored, only to finally succumb to the long schedule and his injured wrist. Hope the guy gets some good rest and comes back next season with a bang.

Boucher (C-): Had a great year in the AHL, but didn't do much when he was recalled. I think at this point Boucher has shown all that he has to show. He is a fringe NHLer and has no spot on a contending roster, but is a great guy to have around for extra depth. Hope he comes back next year and helps our rookies develop in Utica, and personally I hope we have enough depth so that a guy like Boucher doesn't make the team from training camp. But if he does start, then he probably earned it, and that would cheer me up. 

Burmistrov (F): Couldn't build up on his great play with Arizona. Never really clicked on our PP, which is where he got most of his points last year. Has had a rough career in NA and I wish him the best of luck at home. I'm giving him an F because he quit mid season, which is by no means a bad decision. It looks like it worked out well for him and for the team. 

Del Zotto (C-): Came as advertised. Didn't play better or worse than last year. Seems to have a marginal leadership role with the team. I'm not the biggest fan and I feel like getting Del Zotto might have been one of the reasons why Hutton lost his role this year. I think he fits best as our 5th D but has been played extensively this year and yet didn't do much with it. 

Dorsett (A+): Played the best year of his career. I've watched and loved all his interviews this year, and wish him all the best with his future. It would have been amazing to see how he would have finished the season if he never got injured. Was a huge factor to our play at the start of the season. Brought the entertainment factor for sure. 

Dowd (D): The Subban trade was a bit disappoint but understandable. Dowd was given an opportunity to play a lot of games. I don't think he is an NHL player and I feel like we have better options for the 4th C. If we were able to send him back down to the A, it would've been a different story. Under these circumstances though, I wouldn't think twice if he were not brought back. Rather Gaudette and Gaunce get his minutes. I guess he falls victim to not being one of our draft picks, and his age tells me he likely won't improve much. 

Edler (B+): I think Edler beat Tanev for the #1D spot this year. Has been a rock, especially by the end of the season. I know there were times at the start of the year where his role on the team got a bit shaky. But good on him for getting his stuff together. Will be a huge leader on the team going forward. He should have a shot at captaincy if the team feels Bo is too young. Could also be a major trade asset at the trade deadline next year. 

Eriksson (D): 23 points in 50 games. I think most of those points came in a small stretch in the beginning of the season. For a 6 million dollar man, he really is not bringing what he should be. Feels like he is in limbo a bit and you don't really know if he is a top 6 guy anymore. I hope that he comes back next year and finds some chemistry with one of our new young centers in Pettersson, Gaudette or whoever we sign in free agency, because we all know Sutter is an offensive black-hole, and that might actually be rubbing off on Eriksson. Still Loui is great on the D side of things.

Gagner (C-): Picked up the pace at the wrong time, but I'm grateful that he played a monumental part in the send-off for the Sedin's. Regressed from last year. Doesn't have a defined role. But has been a decent depth guy and he managed to stay healthy for almost the entire season. Hope he feels comfortable enough to carry over the scoring from the end of the year.

Gaunce (C): Didn't play much which is a huge shame. Does look like he is more comfortable though. Put up 4 goals, and they weren't all flukes either. I hope he has more luck next year. 

Goldobin (B-): His play at the end was great. He is developing and played well enough to warrant a position on the team next year. Tremendous year in Utica, and will have the opportunity to play in the playoffs as the go-to offensive guy now. Really looking forward to seeing  more next season.

Granlund (D): I don't think a lot of people saw him playing like he did last year. I was hoping to see him with the Sedin's more often but that never really happened either. I liked him best on Sutter's LW but the situation has kind of turned. I might prefer Baertschi and Gaunce on Sutters wing more so that Granlund. I think he is the odd man out at this point in time and have no clue how to really evaluate him. Green and Jim have some work cut out for them. 

Gudbranson (C-): Didn't show much imporovement, nor did he have the best year. Injured way too often. Has been bitten by Tanev's injury bug. He did find some chemistry with Edler, but has been a liability otherwise. I kind of feel like that winning streak at the end was in part because we didn't have Guddy playing, but that might be a bit harsh, as there really is little correlation. 

Horvat (A): Nothing need be said about Horvat. Our best player at this point. 

Hutton (F): I was still kind of confused as to why he wasn't given a bigger opportunity. I understand it's a commitment and fitness issue. I was hoping for more goals this season. He worked on his shot a lot last offseason, with no results. Has another big offseason in front of him. His job is up for grabs and he needs to outplay Juolevi and Pouliot if he wants to keep it.

Jokinen (B) Great finish. I think he deserves another chance. A Vanek-like deal. 

Leipsic (B-): Looks like a player, which is huge. And we got him for basically nothing. I want to see him play with Gaudette and/ or Virtanen. 

Markstrom (C+): Marky was decent. Solidified himself as the starting goaltender but that was more due to Nilsson that his actual play. 

Motte (C-): Quick, but basically just a better version of Molino. Will need to show what he has in the AHL playoffs and then have a good offseason. He will carry some of the negativity of the Vanek trade. 

Nilsson (D): Decent as a backup. Got us a couple of shut-outs. Not sure he is a keeper in the ideal situation. 

Pouliot (C+): He came in with a bang, and showed his potential. If he fixes his defensive shortcomings, he might still become a good top 4. The hype of the trade has kind of worn off now. I like him a lot. He really is a boom or bust guy and he needs to improve if he wants to stay on the team. He also finished second in D scoring. 

Sedins (B+): Still first line players even at the age of 37. Led the team and had a heroic send-off. The last couple of games were huge and were very entertaining. I wish them all the best.

Stecher (C): Has both improved and regressed. A young, small defender really needs to put up those points. But he also needs the opportunity. Didn't see him on the powerplay as much as I'd have liked. I'm hoping he has a big offseason and convinces Green to give him some more ice time. 

Sutter (B-): Seems more comfortable in a pure shut-down role.

Tanev (B-): He started the year out with.. I think 5 points in 9 games.  It's a shame he couldn't continue that. Then he just kept getting freak accidents. When he is on the ice, he is always a clear stand out as one of the better players on the team, but he just isn't on the ice much. Maybe he should look at changing his gear or something. Add a second pair of shot blockers? Always wear a cage... Hope he figures something out. It must be very frustrating.

Vanek (A-): The initial reaction to us signing Vanek was bad. But he earned his good reputation. I think I'll remember his clapper for a while!

Virtanen (B): Huge development. If he becomes more consistent and learns how to get the puck in, he could still become what we thought he might become. Power forwards really do take a while to develop. I wonder if it makes sense to hire a guy like Bertuzzi to teach him the trade a little. Wasn't expecting much from him, but he really has the wow factor. Also developed some chemistry with Leipsic and Horvat. That could be nice to try out.

I am not going to sugar coat these grades, it was a rough year.  Grades are based off the whole year, durability counts:

• Archibald: C-
  • Baertschi: C
  • Biega: C-
  • Boeser: B+
  • Boucher: F
  • Burmistrov: F
  • Del Zotto: C-
  • Dorsett: B+
  • Dowd: D
  • Edler: B-
  • Eriksson: D
  • Gagner: D
  • Gaunce: F
  • Goldobin: C
  • Granlund: F
  • Gudbranson: C-
  • Horvat: B+
  • Hutton: C-
  • Jokinen: C
  • Leipsic: C+ 
  • Markstrom: D+
  • Motte: C-
  • Nilsson: F  
  • Pouliot: C 
  • Daniel Sedin: B-
  • Henrik Sedin: C+
  • Stecher: C+
  • Sutter: C+
  • Tanev: B
  • Vanek: C+
  • Virtanen: C

No A's given.

My Grades were Objective (Performance-based) and I didn't grade them based on their performances relative to their potentials. 

Boeser - A 

can't make arguement against this kid who made the All-Stars as a rookie and led the team in scoring. 

Was our best offensive player who we heavily relied on for all games he played. Defensively "sound" as well. 

Bo - B+

Injury-limited season. But in the games he played, he played well.

Baertchi - C+

Sedins (Hank and Daniel) - B

Edler - B/ B+

Tanev - C+

Injury-riddled season for Tanev. Obviously had a down year overall.

Leipsic - B

Tools were offence-limited. And he did put up numbers as a rookie. So gave him a B. 

I do see his potentials to make impacts in other areas. 

Jokinen - C+

Sutter - B

Had a solid year. Did his job. And was a presence in each game he played.

Watching him play, it's hard to give grades under B. I think once team is better and winning, his contributions will be more pronounced.

Dorsett - C+

Had a fantastic season until career-ending surgery. 

Markstrom - C

Any goalie who can't get a C grade should not be in the NHL. I wish to believe Marky's potential is much above C and that he just failed to fulfill it this year.

Nilsson - C

Had opportunities to take the wheel with Marky playing inconsistently. But did not really fully take over. 

Still a C goalie in the NHL tho. 

Biega - C-

Stetcher - B-

Did many things that are not on scoresheet. Pretty consistent player night in and night out.

Virtanen - C

Overall throughout the season.

Close to an F in earlier part of the season and towards the last couple months, showed improvements that translated to his confidence and performances. 

MDZ - C+

Shaky at times. But he was well-utilized by Green and that's for a reason.

Gaudette - C+

Didn't play enough to be graded. But I give him a "Pass".

Sautner - C-

Kid's got some things to work on to be a regular in the NHL.

Archibald - B-

Pouliot - C+

Consistency is key for this kid. 

Goldobin - C

Needs to be consistent and bring up the intensity alas confidence level.

Grandlund - C

Gudbranson - C

If we are paying him for the assets he possesses, he needs to be more durable. Need to stay in the lineup to help the team night in and night out. 

He just wasn't durable this season.

Motte - C

Gaunce - D+

Did things some things effective as a 4th liner. Played with confidence in most early games. But injury really set him back (lost confidence).

Boucher - D

Gagner - D

Would've been an F if it weren't for the Sedins. 

Dowd - D-

Hutton - F

Eriksson - F

Burmistrov - F

Vanek - C+/ B

He had a year that surpassed expectations. Defensively liable. But his production was good.

Just my personal opinion.

Overall I generally agree with the OP.

A few changes though;

Gaunce at least C+ = I think his value to the team is underestimated. Earlier in the season when he was healthy, he played the role of shutdown centre as good as some of the best I have seen.

Gaudette = No grade, we haven't seen enough of him to be fair to try and score him at this point.

Archibald D = He is supposed to be a physical presence but he missed many an opportunity to step for his team mates. His footspeed is too slow to keep up with the NHL pace. He really doesn't deserve a place on this team.

Virtanen B = He had a slow start and some rough patches but the end of the season really showed glimmers of his potential. He was often the best player on the ice down the stretch, especially in overtime.

Anders Nilsson D = He was so inconsistent that it seemed that coach Green was afraid to play him at the end of the year.  Thus a failing grade for a backup goalie. Next year he likely gets waived in favour of Demko as backup.

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

Brock Boeser A+

Bo Horvat A

Daniel Sedin A

Alex Edler A-

Brendan Leipsic A-

Chris Tanev B

Jussi Jokinen B-

Brandon Sutter B-

Derrick Dorsett B-

Jacob Markstrom B- -

Alex Biega C+

Henrik Sedin C+

Adam Gaudette C+

Troy Stecher C+

Jake Virtanen C+

Ashton Sautner C+

Nikolaj Goldobin C+

Sven Baertschi C+

Micheal Del Zotto C+

Darren Archibald C+

Derrick Pouliot C

Reid Boucher C

Brendan Gaunce C

Sam Gagner C

Loui Eriksson C

Nic Dowd C

Tyler Motte C

Ben Hutton C-  -

Anders Nilsson C- 

Markus Granlund C- 

Erik Gudbranson C-

Alex Burmistrov F

With those grades this team should be in the playoffs...way too generous.

Should be No A's and the goaltending and defence would be majority F's

Highest grade would be Boeser at B+

Archived