The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nazem Kadri suspended 3 games

16 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I will always compare playoff suspensions to Rome's 4 Stanley Cup Final games and nothing ever seems like enough.

Didn't he get 5 games?

Either way the fact he got suspended more than 2 games surprises me.  I thought 2 games but was expecting 1 since "playoffs are worth 4-5 regular season games" as people say.  I love how Leaf fans are hell bent that the league is out to get them and that was a clean hit and its completely Wingles fault he fell and got hurt...

15 hours ago, cory40 said:

Canuck fans have a class action lawsuit on this one. Aaron Rome's suspension may not have cost the Canucks the cup, But sure changed the series. After HAMHUIS hurt himself hitting Lucic we we're lacking depth on the blue line. This suspension really hurt the back end of a already injured core. If the roles we're reversed wow. If this was Toronto in the SCF? I WILL ALWAYS BE BITTER AT THIS MOVE BY THE CLASSLESS NHL LEADERSHIP, Almost as bad as the refereeing in game 7 1994 scf against the rangers. This is my concern with the hate for Canadian teams in the play-offs. ie last year Edmonton San-Jose series. Or Van San Jose series a few years ago. As soon as fans realize we only have the regular season to cheer for their will be less hate towards other Canadian NHL teams. I find it funny how in one series they put the whistles away and in another they call everything. It always seems to work against Canadian teams or even the smaller Usa markets. 

I will never forget watching Boston beat Tampa to go to the finals to play Vancouver. Bostons penalty killing was so brutal if Tampa had a power play it was in the back of the net.

Guess what happened in game 7 yeh no penalties! But it even got better they gave an extra days off between the start of the SCF so Boston could have a mini camp to work out their penalty killing. Had they jumped right into the SCF without that rest Canucks win hands down.  

there is no hate on for Canadian teams, still find it amusing people go to that as a way out. And poor penalty killing or not Thomas had Vancouver's number, he kept the Canucks from scoring not the League. FYI - die hard Canucks fan here since the 80's.

Just now, Industrious1 said:

A suspension of this magnitude in the playoffs would never have been levelled against Kadri and the Leafs if this didn't happen to Jeremy Jacobs team.

Best believe that.

This could be part of it.  Or the suspension could be because Kadri is a rat, who committed (and admitted to) a clear attempt to injure another player with a very dirty play that broke the rules of the league?  

I hate both teams.  I hope they kill each other, so the winner has no chance in round two.

46 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

there is no hate on for Canadian teams, still find it amusing people go to that as a way out. And poor penalty killing or not Thomas had Vancouver's number, he kept the Canucks from scoring not the League. FYI - die hard Canucks fan here since the 80's.

They were allowed to sit on Lu's head and Thomas was permitted to Thomas...use his stick, etc.  If you don't think officiating was an issue, that's fine.  But it handcuffs a team if it becomes lopsided....not necessarily in the number of penalties but in the pick and choose timing wise.  It does impact things and Daniel/the team NOT responding to Marchand was clearly to avoid being tossed out..which is generally what would happen as a Canuck.  Remember when Honey Badger batted a puck out of the air?  Compare that to what some get away with to see the disparity.   Has another team had to "explain" during a pre game skate where they should be able to just focus?

Not "Canadian" teams, but some teams.  It's getting better....slowly.  They have bigger fish to fry now and the Canucks who were targeted are gone.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They were allowed to sit on Lu's head and Thomas was permitted to Thomas...use his stick, etc.  If you don't think officiating was an issue, that's fine.  But it handcuffs a team if it becomes lopsided....not necessarily in the number of penalties but in the pick and choose timing wise.  It does impact things and Daniel/the team NOT responding to Marchand was clearly to avoid being tossed out..which is generally what would happen as a Canuck.  Remember when Honey Badger batted a puck out of the air?  Compare that to what some get away with to see the disparity.   Has another team had to "explain" during a pre game skate where they should be able to just focus?

Not "Canadian" teams, but some teams.  It's getting better....slowly.  They have bigger fish to fry now and the Canucks who were targeted are gone.

I hate to say it ,but had lu played a little more on his feet and less swimming on his back or face down ,nobody would have sat on his head add to the fact that he wasn't nearly as mentally dialed in as he should have been .... Thomas was . 

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Ya I wouldn't say it's so much a hate on for Canadian teams as what I see as a bias to some American teams. Boston leads the way. When they ramp up the physical play it's "Hard nosed Bruin hockey" when other teams do it it's a penalty. I seriously hate the Bruins, their announcers, fans and favouritism they get from the NHL. 

40 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I hate to say it ,but had lu played a little more on his feet and less swimming on his back or face down ,nobody would have sat on his head add to the fact that he wasn't nearly as mentally dialed in as he should have been .... Thomas was . 

I agree to some degree...but feel the team was somewhat stymied with what was happening.  Or, just wasn't playoff ready, which is probably the case.   The tone that was being set with the Canucks was "don't you dare", so they didn't.  I wish they'd just abandoned all sense of playing fair or within the rules, but they didn't.

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Call the Wahhbulance? 

Didn't see anyone in Toronto sticking up for the Canucks in the Finals against Boston. 

Exactly. Will never forgive Alberta teams, TO for their anti Canuck wave of negativity in 2011. I cheered for the Flames and Oilers their last trip to the finals. Never again. They are dead to me. I can get behind the Jets though. Their fans are always decent and seem to like the Canucks. Probably the AHL-Moose thing. 

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Exactly. Will never forgive Alberta teams, TO for their anti Canuck wave of negativity in 2011. I cheered for the Flames and Oilers their last trip to the finals. Never again. They are dead to me. I can get behind the Jets though. Their fans are always decent and seem to like the Canucks. Probably the AHL-Moose thing. 

Same here rekker. I too cheered for the Flames and Oilers during their Cup run and was angered by the hate coming from the fan base of these teams. However, some of my righteous hate against the Oilers was mollified by the classy sendoff the team and fans gave the Sedins.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree to some degree...but feel the team was somewhat stymied with what was happening.  Or, just wasn't playoff ready, which is probably the case.   The tone that was being set with the Canucks was "don't you dare", so they didn't.  I wish they'd just abandoned all sense of playing fair or within the rules, but they didn't.

the nux have been labelled a gentlelmans team because of the Swedish element maybe ? or a symptom of some weird ref  DOPS bias ,here I go again because of your own burrows ,I gotta stop responding so negatively:P  everyone from that era is gone cept edler and they cant pin anything on him.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Yeah, GO Jets.

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yeh maybe. I just wish the NHL would let the teams decide with-out the gong show officiating the Canadian teams receive. Go watch Edmonton San Jos series again and repeat you statement. Or watch game 7 1994 scf. I guess its hoping its not true. I was thinking their was no bias to Canadian teams until last year San Jose series. Then I was reminded of all the garbage Canadian teams have received . When was the last Canadian team to win a cup? Don Cherry was fined for his comments of two Canadian teams in the scf years ago. He had the balls to say it. Pat Quinn was fined after the loss for his comments after the 94 scf, And for the record he complained before the game even started about the officials assigned for game 7.

9 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

The result of the Rome hit was bad but not the intention. It was a clean hit if it wasn't for being like a 1/10 of a second late.

I agree. I had a comment about Rome's intent being just a big hit. But deleted it, because I wanted the focus to be that you still also have to protect the head. And make guys responsible to avoid head first impact.

When it is an intended cheap shot in question, the penalty needs to compound. So I noted that Kadri, who's hit was not as devastating, should attract at least the same penalty. Because it was intentionally dirty.

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Rome's was a different deal...he put on the brakes before he hit him and it wasn't on the boards.

As above, I have distaste for the fact Kadri's hit was dirtier. I agree absolutely its a component.

But we cant make excuses for Rome's hit. We need to make guys responsible for head first contact. And I don't see that he let up much at all. He did not jump into him or lead with his elbow.  It was still one of the most punishing hits having a huge force of impact. With devastating results.

So I also agreed with Drew Doughty being suspended. I don't think he went head hunting. He made head contact. End of story.

Lighter contact, less malicious? Smaller penalty. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Ouch, that hurts come on now haha.

I liked Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, and Andy Moog, nowadays I can appreciate Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk, other than that not a fan.

I'm sorry I deleted and edited it almost immediately.

28 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Ouch, that hurts come on now haha.

I liked Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, and Andy Moog, nowadays I can appreciate Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk, other than that not a fan.

patrice Burger Ron is a good guy too.

One thing that always rings true to me in discussions like this?

Virtually every really bad incident was preceded by BS that was not properly policed by the officiating.

Would we ever have discussed Bertuzzi / Moore if Moore had been properly penalized when he crushed Naslund?   

The Boston series with us got out of hand.  Who did the can opener on Raymond > that should have been suspended! I would have fined Burrows $50,000 for biting. I also would have given the Boston player 2 minutes & a misconduct for sticking his finger in his frickin mouth. Goalie interference & obstruction is called more these days. It wasn't that series. And has been refined where they know what they are looking for?  Marchand would have & should have been in the box for rabbit punching Sedin.  

Archived