The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bure vs Boeser

-AJ-

Canuck Rookie Sensations  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2018-04-13 at 7:58 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Kids these days, hey? 

Let’s compare rookie Brock to rookie Linden next. Then we can compare rookie Daniel. Then let’s compare apples to oranges and lemons to limes. 

2 hours ago, Brovat said:

Let’s compare rookie Brock to rookie Linden next. Then we can compare rookie Daniel. Then let’s compare apples to oranges and lemons to limes. 

I like oranges over apples and lemons more than limes. :P

squeeze.gif.e878966534221dc7c8199d6d176aecf4.gif

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Boeser all day. Shocked at poll results. 

I think that if you were born after 1980, your opinion is invalid, or at least, second-hand.

10 bucks says you’re about 30 years old, too young to have watched Bure’s rookie season with any sense of what you were witnessing, if at all. 

Asking this question proves you never saw Bure's rookie season as you confessed. If you did you would realize how silly the question is. I love the Sedin's and Brock but Bure is by far the best player that has ever played for the Canucks and it was evident the very first shift he ever took.

The era’s are so different and the team around Bure was an up and coming western powerhouse for the next 5 years. 

Vancouver went out of its way to make Bure comfortable with his transition to NA by bringing over his Farher (not sure that was a good idea in hindsight) and having Larionov as his center for the first season and half. 

Bure got got to play in a much higher scoring league.  But he stayed healthy and his arrival in Vancouver signaled a change in fortune for Canucks fans. 

Boeser arrived on a team at its lowest point in almost 20 yrs.  Scoring is down inning the league and I don’t think the nucks are nearly as good as the team Bure played on. 

But Boeser is not the game breaker that Bure was and has a much better style. 

Had Boeser stayed healthy, he would have won the poll.  He likely had a harder hill to climb than Bure. 

EmW

10 hours ago, thrago said:

Asking this question proves you never saw Bure's rookie season as you confessed. If you did you would realize how silly the question is. I love the Sedin's and Brock but Bure is by far the best player that has ever played for the Canucks and it was evident the very first shift he ever took.

Absolutely true, but I don’t blame the OP for quantifing a great rookie season. Brock was on track to break the 40g plateau if he had remained healthy. 

Bure was on another level from everyone in the NHL almost. But in terms of rookie years, Brock almost tied Bure, but the nod goes to the reigning champ. Split  decision though.

FYI, I did watch Bure live and may be one of the oldest farts in this board.  

One thing I'm going to point out scoring was higher in the early to mid 90's but unlike the 80's it wasn't easier to score then it was much harder then now.  The early 90's was the best group of offensive talent the league has ever seen and my ever far better then the current talent.

Gretzky, lemieux, Bure, Molginy, Hall, Bondra, Selanne,  Kariya, Palffy, Oates the list goes on and on today's stars don't stack up and aren't even close. So easier to score nope harder to stop the offensive juggernauts yes.

Oh and all of the above guys would absolutely tear this league apart if they were playing now in there primes. 

Right now Boeser is the right guy.  back then. bure was the right guy for the team.  We have a lot of quality offensively inclined players coming up.  Bure's individual skill could make up for less then stellar passing not that bure's teams were terrible.  This next group will be epic tho. :)

Just on rookie season alone, Bure by a slight edge. Boeser is going to be very, very, very, very good for a long time. But Bure had that above-and-beyond skill level where you knew he was going to be a superstar from shift #1. Boeser doesn't quite have that electrifying flair, but props to Boeser for having his rookie season on a much worse team and in a lower scoring decade.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, Rush17 said:

Right now Boeser is the right guy.  back then. bure was the right guy for the team.  We have a lot of quality offensively inclined players coming up.  Bure's individual skill could make up for less then stellar passing not that bure's teams were terrible.  This next group will be epic tho. :)

bure is never not the right guy

i really do not understand your inference that he might not presently be the right guy for this team

his skills and power would transcend hockey eras

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

bure is never not the right guy

i really do not understand your inference that he might not presently be the right guy for this team

his skills and power would transcend hockey eras

Not to mention now that clutching and grabbing is out of the league he would destroy it.

How many times did Bure pass to Gino on a 2 on 1 because he loved seeing the big guy score? Bure was with Gino quite a bit. I don’t know the stats for that, but I bet someone can post them. 

This would be the equivalent of Boser playing with Sestito and still putting up those kind of points. 

On 2018-04-14 at 6:31 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Bure but statistically they are on par. Bure gave is that glimpse of super stardom, Boeser will probably be a top sniper. That said I was too young to really appreciate Bure (born in 87).

I was very young in the 90s but I have memories of Vancouver being such an incredible place. Unpretentious, affordable, character and the mid nineties Canucks were awesome.

For the folks born in the 60s or 70s who have a more accurate perspective has the city changed a lot for the worse ? I disliked it so much I left but not sure if going from love to hate was just my personal experience or the city itself?

Born in the late 60s. In the 70's there was so much you could do. But I spent summers at Spanish Banks. The Aquarium had orcas. There was still animals at the Stanley Park Zoo. (Pretty sad selection though). But the city was much smaller. Housing was affordable (until the crushing interest rates of 18%) don't ask me how my sister and her husband afforded her mortgage. Basically I should have picked up a trade. Bought a place as soon as I could. I left Vancouver for 5 years from 1999-2004. Vancouver still feels like home.

But the widespread corruption is just so pathetic. 

I think the point totals from both rookie seasons are quite accurately comparable to their talent levels. Boeser has the better shot, but Bure was able to make defenders look silly out there with his moves and I give him the edge overall when it comes to their abilities.

...not to say Brock isn't amazing.  His shot is absolutely lethal and he's also a smart player as Bure was. 

Sure, the rookie stats are comparable but Bure was a game changer both offensively and physically. His offensive talent was explosive but his physical game also made him much more intimidating and harder to play against. His elbows were legendary.

He also had a fiery agitator, push-back component to his game that could really get inside guy's heads.

The big difference between Bure and Boeser is that Bure would make guys pay a physical price if they got too dirty or chippy with him. He wasn't afraid to give it back. Bure took a lot of abuse but he never let guys get away without consequences. 

Boeser is an amazing talent. It's going to be fun watching his talent grow. He's certainly on pace with Bure stats wise. If anything, he's much more measured, precise, and composed than Bure.

But Bure could change a game offensively, physically, and mentally. 

Where does this fantasy about Boeser having a better shot come from?

Many of Bure’s 60 goals a season were from the outside, beating goalies clean. Does this board have amnesia or something?

They weren’t all breakaways and dekes, he could really, really shoot the puck. Slight edge to Boeser, but what are we basing this on? Sherwood 5030 sticks? 

Archived