The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top LGBT Rights Lawyer Sets Himself on Fire

nucklehead

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it makes me sad when I see people, particularly young people, so obsessed with the negative side of things they can't enjoy life. 

Inundated with negativity through news outlets and social media.  

Put the phone down and go outside.

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it makes me sad when I see people, particularly young people, so obsessed with the negative side of things they can't enjoy life. 

Seems like this is particularly true of the young more "liberal" people who have expectations in their lives that simply unreasonable.   The simply joys of life are missed while they protest/complain about pretty much every possible thing from their right to be called a "they" to something said/done a couple of centuries ago.   

Very counterproductive in my opinion. His goal was to convince people that his political position was correct. Those opposing him were likely to see him as a left-wing crazy in the first place. Him lighting himself on fire is going to reinforce their opinion of him. It's cannon fodder for right wing nut jobs to make a bunch of memes. 

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Seems like this is particularly true of the young more "liberal" people who have expectations in their lives that simply unreasonable.   The simply joys of life are missed while they protest/complain about pretty much every possible thing from their right to be called a "they" to something said/done a couple of centuries ago.   

yup I think thats very true. I heard one environmentalist who had some good advice, he told people to spend at least 50% of their free  time outdoors and not get caught up in the negativity so much that you forget to enjoy what you are fighting for. 

Guy should have focussed on giving back to society as he obviously had many talents.

Such a waste to go out like that.   The dude could have positively impacted so many people .

Too bad he could not have reached out or his friends / family reached out and got him some help......

Mental illness is treatable and nothing to be ashamed about.....

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Guy should have focussed on giving back to society as he obviously had many talents.

Such a waste to go out like that.   The dude could have positively impacted so many people .

Too bad he could not have reached out or his friends / family reached out and got him some help......

Mental illness is treatable and nothing to be ashamed about.....

+1

Hopefully one day very soon everyone will realize this.

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup I think thats very true. I heard one environmentalist who had some good advice, he told people to spend at least 50% of their free  time outdoors and not get caught up in the negativity so much that you forget to enjoy what you are fighting for. 

That is good advice though most of the "environmentalists" give little care about actual environment - those who actually care about the environment don't label themselves, don't take money from US-based lobby groups to attack Canadian interests and certainly don't light themselves on fire when life gets a bit hard.    

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is good advice though most of the "environmentalists" give little care about actual environment - those who actually care about the environment don't label themselves, don't take money from US-based lobby groups to attack Canadian interests and certainly don't light themselves on fire when life gets a bit hard.    

I think people can lean towards legit concerns over the environment on all sides of the political spectrum, it doesn't have to be a polarized thing. Don't forget it was Mulroney that got the elimination of acid rain deal done with the US. Just another casualty of reasonable thought in our current hyper-polarized world. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people can lean towards legit concerns over the environment on all sides of the political spectrum, it doesn't have to be a polarized thing. Don't forget it was Mulroney that got the elimination of acid rain deal done with the US. Just another casualty of reasonable thought in our current hyper-polarized world. 

agreed....I just find people with more conservative political views are typically more genuine in their environmental stewardship concerns.

55 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

agreed....I just find people with more conservative political views are typically more genuine in their environmental stewardship concerns.

maybe you're just around more conservative people? 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Brainwashed bandwagoners. The brainwashing can be dangerous.

don't take money from US-based lobby groups to attack Canadian

I'm unsure why you mention where the money came from; I'm reasonably sure the people fighting for their version of the environment don't care where the money came from, as long as it furthers their goals.

don't light themselves on fire when life gets a bit hard.    

This is about the worst thing I've seen you post on this board. It seems obvious that to him, his life was more than "a bit hard"

Archived