The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev To Toronto

On 2018-04-15 at 1:38 PM, GritGrinder said:

Tanev would have already been injured in one of the first 2 games in Boston and be done for the rest of the playoffs. I know he's a fan favourite but no GM in their right mind is going to look at Tanev's injury riddled past and say "now there's a warrior we need for a 2 month brutal SC run" and subsequently give up the assets that many here seem to think that a GM would give up. 

Sadly this is true.  The time for maximum return for Tanev is long gone, at this point we might as well keep him to help Juolevi or whomever else gets a spot.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:04 AM, kloubek said:

I'm ok with going after Dermott.  I think he is going to be a good player.  I dont think this return is ideal though as we know what Tanev brings and Dermott hasnt shown anything other than a decent rookie season.  As much as he has this reputation of being injury prone, I cant help but feel the right GM will seek the kind of elite shutdown skills he has. In particular a playoff team that can use an injection of that kind of player due to a current absence... A la Toronto.

They are up against the cap and have players to re-sign next season... Namely Nylander.  If we perhaps took a bad contract or two from them it might sweeten our return, and let them re sign guys going forward.

How about:

Martin, Hainsey, Dermott, Marner, 2nd

For

Tanev, Gaunce, Saunter, Baertschi, 3rd

This doesn't really fit what they are trying to do unless their plan has changed - McKenzie laid it out again at the TDL.  He says the Shanaplan is to build around Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  Their future core are these 3 plus Liljegren, Dermott etc.  They don't want to be competitive just now but become perennial contenders.  

The Leafs are saying very much the same thing as Benning.  They are waiting on their prospects to mature but still want to make the playoffs.  If there's a cheap upgrade that doesn't mortgage their future they'll make it.  Lamoriello explained at the last draft that every move is with the future in mind.  They were interested in Hamonic and McDonagh but were not willing to pay the price.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

This doesn't really fit what they are trying to do unless their plan has changed - McKenzie laid it out again at the TDL.  He says the Shanaplan is to build around Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  Their future core are these 3 plus Liljegren, Dermott etc.  They don't want to be competitive just now but become perennial contenders.  

The Leafs are saying very much the same thing as Benning.  They are waiting on their prospects to mature but still want to make the playoffs.  If there's a cheap upgrade that doesn't mortgage their future they'll make it.  Lamoriello explained at the last draft that every move is with the future in mind.  They were interested in Hamonic and McDonagh but were not willing to pay the price.

This goes in the face of traditional leaf rebuilding, that is come in with a new GM and a plan, but eventually buckle under pressure and start screwing things up.   Pre-cap and post-Ballard they could hide a lot of their failures by spending whatever they felt like on the flavour of the month (not to the degree the NYR used to though, on paper the Lindros team should have won cups).  

Not a Leads fan, not even remotely, but did like the Gilmour team and know their fans deserve better, which the appear to have now.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I guess I figured that Marner had a tough time especially at the start of the year finding a home in their lineup.  He did well, but I thought they felt he wasn't "fitting in" too great in some areas.  Here's my mentality behind my own proposal:

- The Leafs have lots of scoring, and they have young guys who are only going to get better.  This is why I felt that if they had anywhere to improve, it was defense so I figured Tanev would be a draw.  

- The stats of their forwards are inflated due to having real scoring punch on the back end. So giving up a guy like Marner isn't *quite* as big of a deal as it first appears, since on our team he'd be a 55 point guy.
- By us taking Martin and Hainsey, it gives them a ton of extra cap flexibility.  This allows them to dip into UFA or more importantly ensure they have enough cap to sign Matthews and Nylander.  
- Baertschi admittedly isn't the best fit for them, but I had to make the deal work from a value perspective, and we didn't have much more to offer. :)

On 4/15/2018 at 10:32 AM, flickyoursedin said:

If they offer the most in a Tanev return I’m not holding the trade back just because of Toronto hate. It’s about us getting better in the long run and if that’s Toronto’s package I have no issue trading with them.

Would rather keep Tanev unless I'm getting blown away by the deal.  hopefully, he can stay healthier than the last 2 years. It would make more sense to let him build up some more value by staying here and hopefully putting a good season together. Or at least until the deadline. If he were to stay healthy this year. We would get a much bigger return 

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎17‎日 at 12:18 PM, billabong said:

To tor: tanev, gaunce

to van: liljegren, martin

martin cant crack the leafs line up and they’d like to shed his contract and we could use his physical presence 

tanev plays 50 games a year people, his value isn’t that high

This seems pretty realistic.

Archived