The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Improving the Defence

brokensticks

Up for discussion, our depth chart (and potential line-up for next year) looks like this:

LEFT                    RIGHT

Edler                   Tanev

Del Zotto             Stetcher

Juolevi                Gudbranson

Puoliot                Biega

Hutton                Chatfield

McEneny

Brisebois

Sautner

Tryamkin???

As one of the teams with the lowest points from the back end and near the bottom of the league in goals against, this is definitely an area that needs some immediate attention, especially some depth on the right side.

Drafting some right shot prospects is a priority but will not fill the immediate need.

The talk of trading Tanev has some merit considering his potential value and injury history but it only makes the need for a right hand replacement a greater priority.

The best free agent is John Carlson, 53 points last year and shoots right but his cost will be high if he even agrees to come to a west coast, bottom of the league team.

It would be good to get some of the younger guys in the lineup but that means clearing out some of the marginal players on the left side (Hutton, Puoliot) to make room for some of the younger players (Juolevi, McEneny, Brisebois).

My wishlist: trade Tanev, Hutton and Puoliot for draft choices and sign Carlson.

8 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Up for discussion, our depth chart (and potential line-up for next year) looks like this:

McEneny

Brisebois

Sautner

Tryamkin???

As one of the teams with the lowest points from the back end and near the bottom of the league in goals against, this is definitely an area that needs some immediate attention, especially some depth on the right side.

Drafting some right shot prospects is a priority but will not fill the immediate need.

The talk of trading Tanev has some merit considering his potential value and injury history but it only makes the need for a right hand replacement a greater priority.

The best free agent is John Carlson, 53 points last year and shoots right but his cost will be high if he even agrees to come to a west coast, bottom of the league team.

It would be good to get some of the younger guys in the lineup but that means clearing out some of the marginal players on the left side (Hutton, Puoliot) to make room for some of the younger players (Juolevi, McEneny, Brisebois).

My wishlist: trade Tanev, Hutton and Puoliot for draft choices and sign Carlson.

Tryamkin plays the right side.  Plus, our D would look better if our goalies stopped letting in weak goals. 

I think I'd move Sautner higher up that list, he played well, granted it was end of year games but regardless there's something there. 

We're just going to have to be patient and draft our way into a top pairing. In the meantime at least we seem to be developing a lot more depth below that. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I'd move Sautner higher up that list, he played well, granted it was end of year games but regardless there's something there. 

We're just going to have to be patient and draft our way into a top pairing. In the meantime at least we seem to be developing a lot more depth below that. 

Agree.  It's tough to attract free agents to a rebuilding team.  This leads into Tanev, I don't see him moving without a replacement.  Benning is not going to weaken the weakest part of the team.  All they can do at this point is add lower end free agents like MDZ or reclamation projects like Pouliot.  This leaves drafting and development as the permanent fix.

23 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Trade Hutton and 2nd round for mid-late first round

That's not much of a draft improvement for giving up on Hutton.

I mean, if we really don't want him and nobody else does either, may as well jump up a handful of spots...but right now is rock bottom value for Hutton.  This was basically his "Edler under Torts" year.

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Agree.  It's tough to attract free agents to a rebuilding team.  This leads into Tanev, I don't see him moving without a replacement.  Benning is not going to weaken the weakest part of the team.  All they can do at this point is add lower end free agents like MDZ or reclamation projects like Pouliot.  This leaves drafting and development as the permanent fix.

yup. I'm of the mind now that Tanev is much more valuable to us than he'll be in a trade return. We need to keep a functioning D group going to stay relatively competitive so the kids can learn properly. If we blow up our D now, we risk that whole losing environment thing you see in places like Buffalo. Sure we still may end of a lotto team for the next season or two, but the way the team competes will be much better. 

I think we really need to pursue a top-tier defenceman like Carlson. It would provide some much needed stability to our back end and give the young guys (forwards and d-men) some confidence on the ice.  A guy like Carlson, in his prime, also makes some of the deadweight expendable. 

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but we're creating a logjam of guys who are slightly average and will need to be shipped out before we can contend. Looking specifically at Hutton and Stecher on the backend, and Goldobin up front (unless he proves to be more consistent next year). 

1 hour ago, brokensticks said:

McEneny

Brisebois

Sautner

Tryamkin???

Trade Tanev for 1st rounder and Dermott 20 years old already played 37 NHL games 13 points,..

Dermott would be # 5 guy on Canucks right now.....Will be #3 D man on any team in 2-3 years...

This would be a good trade..

Tanev does not have a high value like so many fans think!!!

If you wanted high value, Canucks should of traded him last summer....Teams are scared of players always hurt, 4 injuries this season..

Tanev is slender prone to injuries..

Trade before stock drops more... 

MUST TRADE BEFORE SEASON STARTS..

1 hour ago, brokensticks said:

McEneny

Brisebois

Sautner

Tryamkin???

Jesus, how do you fix that mess?

Like 9 of those guys should be in the AHL.  Tryamkin isn't coming back.  So, that means we need at least 2 left and 2 right (NHL caliber) D-men to appear out of nowhere.

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin plays the right side.  Plus, our D would look better if our goalies stopped letting in weak goals. 

OMG sure hope Tryamkin 6'7, 265 lbs start to add very tough edge to his game, fighting Jamie Benn..

This would be just the player we need on D.. We had this guy so defence would look so much better and he is only 23 yrs old..

2 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I agree definitely think that list is a dogs breakfast. Too many underachievers in there. Some are going to be waived down for sure. Or traded IF possible, which I doubt. 

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Like 9 of those guys should be in the AHL.  Tryamkin isn't coming back.  So, that means we need at least 2 left and 2 right (NHL caliber) D-men to appear out of nowhere.

nah

we really need a true #1 or quality #2 dman

so that the depth is pushed down a bit to a position they can better handle

everyone presently is being required to play out of their depth and a bit above their skill level

if we do that

and find a true #1 goalie (hi schneids :P - nj can have both marky and nilsson in return)

then the whole d part of the team will be vastly improved

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

OMG sure hope Tryamkin 6'7, 265 lbs start to add very tough edge to his game, fighting Jamie Benn..

This would be just the player we need on D.. We had this guy so defence would look so much better and he is only 23 yrs old..

Totally agree.  WD messed up with our big Russian.  Management messed up making his very young wife feel welcome.  His experience with us did make him a better player though.  He dominated the Russian league. 

17 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I think we really need to pursue a top-tier defenceman like Carlson. It would provide some much needed stability to our back end and give the young guys (forwards and d-men) some confidence on the ice.  A guy like Carlson, in his prime, also makes some of the deadweight expendable. 

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but we're creating a logjam of guys who are slightly average and will need to be shipped out before we can contend. Looking specifically at Hutton and Stecher on the backend, and Goldobin up front (unless he proves to be more consistent next year). 

I would hang onto Stecher, look at Torey Krug's development especially over these past two seasons.

As the team around him improved so did he, Troy and Torey have similar styles and stature. Pouliot is the one to go soon imo.

Just now, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  WD messed up with our big Russian.  Management messed up making his very young wife feel welcome.  His experience with us did make him a better player though.  He dominated the Russian league. 

Oh lets not give up yet, he could come back ? That would change this team big time and he is only 23...

Management will be working to get him back.. Lets hope Benning and Linden have a good plane to bring Tryamkin back?

Just now, wildcam said:

Oh lets not give up yet, he could come back ? That would change this team big time and he is only 23...

Management will be working to get him back.. Lets hope Benning and Linden have a good plane to bring Tryamkin back?

He was the only reason I watched many of the games last season.  I’m really hoping Tryamkin can convince his wife to come back.  That might be the key?

30 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Trade Tanev for 1st rounder and Dermott 20 years old already played 37 NHL games 13 points,..

Dermott would be # 5 guy on Canucks right now.....Will be #3 D man on any team in 2-3 years...

This would be a good trade..

Tanev does not have a high value like so many fans think!!!

If you wanted high value, Canucks should of traded him last summer....Teams are scared of players always hurt, 4 injuries this season..

Tanev is slender prone to injuries..

Trade before stock drops more... 

MUST TRADE BEFORE SEASON STARTS..

A first round pick (even if its in the 17-25 range) and one of a teams top defensive prospects is extremely high value for ANY 29 year-old player especially an injury prone one-dimensional defenseman.

Archived