The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Improving the Defence

brokensticks

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I'd move Sautner higher up that list, he played well, granted it was end of year games but regardless there's something there. 

We're just going to have to be patient and draft our way into a top pairing. In the meantime at least we seem to be developing a lot more depth below that. 

I agree that Sautner played well when brought up at the end of the season but I don't think he would have been given the chance if McEneny and Brisbois weren't out with injuries.

The point is, Sautner's play shows we do have some young guys in the minors that deserve a chance but we don't seem to create the opportunities for them. Instead, we bring in "projects" and long-term free agents signings that block these guys from cracking the lineup.

I get the argument that they have to earn their spot on the team but we should, at least, give them a fighting chance.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

our D is pretty vanilla with a bunch of glorified 3rd pair guys 

personally id like to see a complete a over haul on d 

edler-tanev

del zotto-stecher

hutton-gudbranson 

pouliot-biega

We ABSOLUTELY can’t come back with the same 8 guys and I’d like to think that juolevi will be playing in the top 6 

The D is pretty vanilla today.  The future depends on development imo.  

They've been patient with Pouliot and rightly so, he projects to a #3.

Hutton, they're going to wait and see what they've got in camp and over the first few months before deciding what to do I think.

I see Juolevi in the top 4 eventually and I hope the 2018 1st

If things go right, thats 3 top 4 and Guddy who I see as a 4/5.

That adds up to a decent group long term, and there's always the potential for a surprise (Tryamkin who I don't count on at all)

Juolevi 2018 1st

Pouliot Gudbranson

Hutton Stecher

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The D is pretty vanilla today.  The future depends on development imo.  

They've been patient with Pouliot and rightly so, he projects to a #3.

Hutton, they're going to wait and see what they've got in camp and over the first few months before deciding what to do I think.

I see Juolevi in the top 4 eventually and I hope the 2018 1st

If things go right, thats 3 top 4 and Guddy who I see as a 4/5.

That adds up to a decent group long term, and there's always the potential for a surprise (Tryamkin who I don't count on at all)

Juolevi 2018 1st

Pouliot Gudbranson

Hutton Stecher

It might be wise to try:

Edler Stecher

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Tanev

This let's the good pairing of stech and eagle to continue. Gudbranson gets to go with a puck moving d like he had in Florida.  Tanev's ice time is reduced as he mentors Olli to start the year. This would allow Tanev to ease himself back into the lineup.  Then as Olli gets better you balance the ice time better. Showing how good Olli Tanev combo can do might make Toronto want him. I'd start Juolevi Tanev around 15 minutes after a game or two at 12.  Stecher can handle big minutes starts off quick and aggressive. Let's guddy play a shutdown role with Pouliot.  If Hutton comes in and beats out Pouliot we move him

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I think our defense needs a complete facelift. 

That list is long but it's hard to say any of them are long-term solutions.

Rumor has it, JB is very interested in Brady Tkachuk. If we do end up in position to grab him, it would seem JB is willing to wait a bit more before turning his attention to our blueline. 

As I see it, the only option left is to acquire one through free agency and trades.

One potential ufa I'm interested in is Ian Cole. He's defensively responsible, can put up decent numbers, plays a physical game, and should be affordable.

I also see the potential for a trade with Toronto.

One prospect I've had my eyes on for awhile now is Andrew Nielson. He's also big, physical and plays a good two-way game. 

I could see something like:

Brandon Sutter and Chris Tanev, and Ben Hutton for Matt Martin, Andrew Nielson, and their 1st rounder 2018.

Now for a crazy idea.

Olli Juolevi to Chicago for Brent Seabrook (1.875 annual retention) and their 1st rnd pick 2018 (as long as it's not 1st overall).

Yes, we give up Juolevi, but Chicago's not giving up a first rounder without a decent return; even with dropping Seabrook's contract.

I am not sold on Juolevi and, in this case, see him as expendable. There are defensemen in this draft I want.

Our defense for next year:

Edler                         Seabrook

Cole                          Stetcher

Sautner/Nielson        Gudbranson

Biega 

Toronto has a lot of ufa's coming up. I see, both, Tanev and Sutter as immediate upgrades to their team while Hutton gets a chance to reboot and prove to them he belongs.

Chicago's in trouble. They need to dump salary. They also have two first rounders this year, but I'm not taking the lower one. This is a chance for them to dump salary and get a good prospect and let's face it, on our blueline, Seabrook's an upgrade.

Both Cole and Seabrook will need to be sold on the prospect of becoming Canucks. In both cases, Benning must sell his vision for the near future and how important they are to that vision. If done properly, I see both willing to come here.

With our 3 picks we take, Brady Tkachuk (assuming we're in position), Bode Wilde, and K'Andre Miller.

2020 defense:

Cole                           Wilde

Miller                          Seabrook

Nielson                       Gudbranson

Sautner 

Obviously, if JB were to attempt something like this, there would be a lot more moving parts but it gets across the type of defense I want to see here. 

On a rebuilding team.  That is a crazy idea.  Our only D prospect for a way past his time, currently barely NHL capable player with an awful contract.  All so we can get a first round pick that likely isn't going to be as good as OJ.

You may have taken the lead for CDCer I am happiest is not our GM.  That is saying something too.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

My problem with this defense is I like to many of these guys. Realistically we might have 2-3 of these guys during any sustained success. Issue is I like these guys to much lol. I love Pouliot's upside and have been a fan since his whl days.  Then you got Stech a local kid who I am a huge fan of.  Guddy I like his physicality. Tanev I can do without him but I love his smooth smart play. Then you got hutton you're like man if he could only harrness that. Then you MDZ throwing his body like a wrecking ball at all players. Then steady eddie crushing guys in the boards and stopping key players.  Issue is I liked these guys to much.  But if we want to get better some of these guys need to be parted with.

Edler I feel is a must keep to stabilize the D. Gudbranson I feel might be a requirement if we plan on hitting the postseason soon. Stech hard on the puck, gives it 100% every shift, and is often our best d at transitioning the puck.  If I could part with two it would be Tanev and Hutton.  But I am very curious what a fit and physically dominate hutton could look like. What if hutton comes back like a boss and can fill that physical role on D that gudbranson does.  Then pouliot is just an enigma.  He can play be amazing but often hes quiet, steady, and transitions the play. but we need offense and unfortunately, that is expected from him more than others.  

Does anyone else have bias because they love these guys?  It's not like we got a ton in the system waiting for us.  we really need a d man bad. Free agency is expensive and the assets typically lose most of their value at the end of their term.  :( draft maybe? but dahlin might be the only nhl ready unless Dobson or Bouchard have amazing offseasons and can push.  Olli be here soon which is great but we can't expect him to be a top 4 cornerstone in his first season...  Gudbranson healthy could be a great add. he's had nothing but injuries since coming here. be nice to see him at 100% but does he fit the system?  I dont know ladies and gents. I love the players but hate the results of this group.  I know will learn to love others but I hope stech stays out of all of them.

I hear what you are saying I don't want a new truck because I can't leave my old one behind.

Honestly I know this is blasphemy around these parts but there is so much redundancy on the back end. You need one or maybe two of Hutton, Stech, MDZ, and Puoliot.

Stech is probably the best but these guys are a dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

On a rebuilding team.  That is a crazy idea.  Our only D prospect for a way past his time, currently barely NHL capable player with an awful contract.  All so we can get a first round pick that likely isn't going to be as good as OJ.

You may have taken the lead for CDCer I am happiest is not our GM.  That is saying something too.

I agree if we take seabrooks 6yr 6 million Dollar contract we do not give up Juolevi??? NEVER

They have to sweeten pot for Vancouver witch would be there 2nd RD pick 2018 and there top prospect under 24 yrs old..

Just now, wildcam said:

I agree if we take seabrooks 6yr 6 million Dollar contract we do not give up Juolevi??? NEVER

They have to sweeten pot for Vancouver witch would be there 2nd RD pick 2018 and there top prospect under 24 yrs old..

That would still be a bad deal as Vancouver has 6yr contract for a player 33 with 6 yrs left on contract...

You Don't make that deal... Chic would need to really sweeten the deal...

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

TSN and Rogers propaganda.  

Dermott 20 would be canucks best D prospect?? 

You don't understand hockey, Forget Leafs the Kids is a A prospect!!

How many 20yr old D men make the NHL????????????

No use talking with you? Its called Talent who cares what team a players comes from?

Tanev is not worth 2 first round picks..

We would do great to get Dermott and 2nd....= Think thats really to high for Tanev..

Would you guys trade Tanev for a 1st and a prospect (if we could get that)?, then sign Trouba to a 6x6 offer sheet? We’d be giving up next years 1st but Trouba is exactly what we need. A young, proven, elite right handed defenseman. 

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

No use talking with you? Its called Talent who cares what team a players comes from?

We would do great to get Dermott and 2nd....= Think thats really to high for Tanev..

I’m thinking we both want the same thing...a winning team.  

I see the Leafs as a propaganda machine.  Their prospects are all the best.  Their young players are all the best.  Their management and coaches are all the best.  Their plans, and philosophy are the best.  Their franchise and city are a joke.  We don’t want any of their garbage.  

Tanev + Sutter to the Oilers for Draisatl is a better trade. 

23 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Did Juolevi die?

i don't see our defense changing much for a couple of years. edler and delzotto and tanev and gudbranson will be around for a couple of years, barring trades, hopefully juolevi, brisebois, 2018 draft pick and maybe chatfield will be ready to take their places. 

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

Don't be surprised if Baumgartner is replaced this, or next off season.

I would be surprised for this season. He is Green's second-hand man. I can see him getting 2 years on the job before he gets axed.  I think he is doing ok it's more personal imo.  The team definitely picked it up in the home stretch with a depleted line up. Obviously, he needs a better year next year. 

Archived