The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Help Philadelphia

If the Nucks take back Andrew MacDonald (5M x 2 yrs) and Jori Lehtera (4.7M x 1yrs) and send Tanev back, what return would expect back?

Shedding those two contracts, and Filppula and Read off the books could also make them HUGE players in free-agency.

~53M/78M... basically 25M to sign Free Agents. They could be a huge player to sign John Tavares and maybe a guy like Mike Green.

Konecny-Tavares-Simmonds

Raffl-Couturier-Giroux

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek

Weal-Laughton-Weise

Provorov-Tanev

Gostisbehere-Gudas

Hagg-Green

Elliott

Neuvirth

So would the Flyers be willing to give up Sanheim+Stl 1st+Phi 1st to dump MacDonald, Lehtera, and receive Tanev?

I can't see them giving up that much.  If they are going to trade their best trading pieces away they will need to get an actual #1 goalie. Sure it would be nice for them to free up cap, but it's not like they are really in a cap crunch,  They currently sit at 59mil locked up next year with 19 contracts locked up.  That means they already have 15-20 million free to make a big splash next year on really only two spots.    Do they really need another 9.7 on top of that?

I also can't see them locking them long term with a bunch of UFA's as they will need to have some cap avilable to resign Simmonds at the end of next year as well as provorov, who is going to get a big pay raise.  

2 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

If the Nucks take back Andrew MacDonald (5M x 2 yrs) and Jori Lehtera (4.7M x 1yrs) and send Tanev back, what return would expect back?

Shedding those two contracts, and Filppula and Read off the books could also make them HUGE players in free-agency.

~53M/78M... basically 25M to sign Free Agents. They could be a huge player to sign John Tavares and maybe a guy like Mike Green.

Konecny-Tavares-Simmonds

Raffl-Couturier-Giroux

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek

Weal-Laughton-Weise

Provorov-Tanev

Gostisbehere-Gudas

Hagg-Green

Elliott

Neuvirth

So would the Flyers be willing to give up Sanheim+Stl 1st+Phi 1st to dump MacDonald, Lehtera, and receive Tanev?

Can't see Flyers giving up two 1st round picks and a prospect...Never Never

The flyers are not against the cap like Toronto, Chicago...Flyers have cap room so this will never happen..

Come on two 1st round picks...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Can't see Flyers giving up two 1st round picks and a prospect...Never Never

The flyers are not against the cap like Toronto, Chicago...Flyers have cap room so this will never happen..

Come on two 1st round picks...

They only have $15 million in cap space right now and they have to re-sign Mrazek, Hagg and Morin. So they actually will be up against it. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Konecny-Tavares-Simmonds

Raffl-Couturier-Giroux

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek

Weal-Laughton-Weise

Provorov-Tanev

Gostisbehere-Gudas

Hagg-Green

Elliott

Neuvirth

Not a terrible proposal but doubt we get a Top D prospect and 2 Firsts. Maybe St Louis 1st+Sanheim+3rd or something. But not two first and an A prospect.

If I were them Id do this trade and then go after Holtby or Grubauer from Washington or Schneider in New Jersey. My guess is Holtby or Schneider and I doubt they'd have to give up too much to get one of them. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

They only have $15 million in cap space right now and they have to re-sign Mrazek, Hagg and Morin. So they actually will be up against it. 

what kind of salary do you expect these 3 to be getting?  It's also unclear if they are bringing Mrazek back.  

9 hours ago, Pears said:

Just this year.  Next 2 seasons will see Prorov, Read, Simmonds, Sanheim, Laughton and Konecny needing new contracts.  Then patrick being the big one a year later.

Ya they will need cap help

9 hours ago, Pears said:

OMG those 3 players  they have to sign will cost them no more then 6-8 million....

They will never give up two first round picks this summer?????? That would be crazy for any team to do??

Come on and following year you have some more players off the books?? Cap friendly

This will never happen, Flyers are like any team, love to have two first round picks...Trust me they will keep the picks...

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

OMG those 3 players  they have to sign will cost them no more then 6-8 million....

They will never give up two first round picks this summer?????? That would be crazy for any team to do??

Come on and following year you have some more players off the books?? Cap friendly

This will never happen, Flyers are like any team, love to have two first round picks...Trust me they will keep the picks...

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just this year.  Next 2 seasons will see Prorov, Read, Simmonds, Sanheim, Laughton and Konecny needing new contracts.  Then patrick being the big one a year later.

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

The Flyers are going to have to explore all their options cuz it looks like the Penguins are going to sweep them outta the first round. They look absolutely terrible so far and can't go into next season with the same lineup.

I do think you are putting to much value in a draft pick...but that's the general consensus so I can't blame you. The Flyers have stock piled a solid core of young talent and their picks now can be used to upgrade other areas or free up cap space which is essentially what the OP is getting at here.

I'm not sure about values here, honestly.  But I like the idea of taking on a couple of bad contracts, and the timeframe is right in line with what we need... 2 bad contracts for 1 year (no problem), and only one of them in the 2nd year, then they are done.

If we got Sanheim and the lower of the two 1st round picks I'd do that in a heartbeat.  We have nothing to lose, and absolutely don't need that cap room unless we were actually making a bid for Tavares. (Which I also would support).  I think it is a VERY wise idea to use our copious cap space to help our future team.

2018 + 2019 1sts and a second in any of 2018/2019/2020 for Chris Tanev and Sven Baertschi. Bet on Jim's drafting expertise.  We can then use those picks to trade up at our home draft or draft quality guys in the middle of the first.  

Hagg, Sanheim I have zero interest in. No B tier prospects. Let's go big game hunting and add to our top 5 prospect pool. (Or picks)

I want picks or instant plug and play impact player if we are moving Tanev + Baer.  Not junk drawer rehab projects even tho Jim has done well on them.

I want an impact D man or an impact forward who can give us a major upgrade in some capacity. We have plenty of pieces now that are rehab projects. They are doing well but they don't move the meter. Big game fishing ladies and gents. Let's do this!

13 hours ago, Pears said:

caps going up another 3-6 million, Those contracts will cost less than 6 million to that leaves them 12-15 million, that' a lot of dough.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Which is why they won't be blowing that 15 million cap space they have on high priced UFA's this summer.   On top of that those contracts wont kick into next year, Lehtera's contract will be off the books prior to that, so it doesn't really make sense for them to pay a high price to dump his contract.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Hagg, Sanheim I have zero interest in. No B tier prospects. Let's go big game hunting and add to our top 5 prospect pool. (Or picks)

I somewhat appreciate the perspective on Sanheim, but I do think Hagg projects to be a good shutdown guy.  If we did lose Tanev I feel we *must* replace at least most of his ability to shut down top lines.

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I somewhat appreciate the perspective on Sanheim, but I do think Hagg projects to be a good shutdown guy.  If we did lose Tanev I feel we *must* replace at least most of his ability to shut down top lines.

That is fair. Can appreciate that notion. We just have so many non impact offensive contributors I am craving for some.  Hagg is a pretty big boy for his age last I saw too. I really like what Zadorov can add to Colorado as well. 

I'm not sure if we can afford another top flight scorer but having more options to blend always is good. An asset can alway be moved if another part works better in the whole.  An impact NHL ready right handed d is what we need most. A guy who is proven can play at least some games at the NHL level with some game.

Not sure many of those are available tho.  Tyson Barrie comes to mind. He would be amazing with Olli once he's defensively established at the NHL level.  Tanev for Barrie deal is tough to sort out tho. I suspect Colorado may move Johnson this summer or next TDL now they got Zadorov who fills that defensive d physical role. 

When Makar is ready they might move a Barrie. I'd love him. An island kid from Victoria with some serious pp game. Is a tad older then our core but could be a good veteran stop gap. Play 4-5 seasons help us contend before we replace him with a younger prospect. We need that #1 PPQB. If we don't get Dahlin who else might be ready?

Well maybe a few guys if they have outstanding seasons maybe a Bouchard who is bored and still dominated the ohl might be an option or Noah Dobson if his skating improves. A lot of what these 2 need is more speed and a tad more muscle. Neither of them are slight by any means. 

Just now, Rush17 said:

That is fair. Can appreciate that notion. We just have so many non impact offensive contributors I am craving for some.  Hagg is a pretty big boy for his age last I saw too. I really like what Zadorov can add to Colorado as well. 

Oh, I don't deny this at ALL.  We badly need a #1 d. But if Tanev goes, we need a replacement there too; as long as he is here we are ok in the shutdown role.  Gudbranson certainly isn't "that guy".

I'm not sure we want to go down the trade route unless there is no way we can get the kind of guy we are looking for in FA.  Carlson seems like a possibility, though he is gonna expect to get paid for his one amazing season and I'm not sure those kinds of numbers are sustainable.  (If they are, I'm all over that).  Next year OEL might be available and I think he would be an excellent fit here. But even if we DID have to go the trade route, we have tons of prospects in the system that we could offer, thought I wonder if their value would be better displayed in a year or so?  Not sure....

I almost made a proposal for Zadorov actually, but decided not to as I figured the price would probably be higher than it is worth.  He hits a LOT though, and I'd love to have that on the team.  If Tryamkin ever came back that would absolutely make Gudbranson redundant.

You're right though... we have a lot of secondary-type defensemen, and that just isn't good enough.  Especially with Juolevi coming on the scene soon (presumably), something is going to break and we're going to be shipping guys out pretty quick here...

Archived