The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Help Philadelphia

I doubt the Flyers would give up MacDonald as a pure cap dump. He's an assistant captain and he plays top minutes with Provorov, whether he should or not. Lehtera would be a cap dump, but we wouldn't get much of value for him alone since he only had one year left. Maybe a 3rd round pick. 

I've had an idea for a while for a trade with the Flyers and I think I've posted it before. They need right handed defenseman as Gudas is their only righty. Tanev would also look really good anywhere in their lineup; with Provorov, Ghostisbehere or with one of their young defensemen. He's on a good contract and wouldn't be the reason for any cap problems they might have in the next 2-3 years.

To PHI:

Tanev

To VAN:

Lehtera 

1st 2018 (STL: around 14th overall)

2nd 2019

With this trade, the Canucks gain a mid 1st in a deep draft where we can potentially land a replacement for Tanev. The 2nd is also a good piece for next year. The Flyers still have their own 1st, so they're not mortgaging the future. The comparable trade would be Hamonic trade who went for a 1st and 2 2nds. Tanev's injury history takes some value away and his contract isn't quite as good as Hamonic's was.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:13 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I doubt the Flyers would give up MacDonald as a pure cap dump. He's an assistant captain and he plays top minutes with Provorov, whether he should or not. Lehtera would be a cap dump, but we wouldn't get much of value for him alone since he only had one year left. Maybe a 3rd round pick. 

Agreed with your analyses.  Not sure I'd make the move of Tanev for Lehtera, 1st in 18 and 2nd in 2019 though.  Jori does not look like a fix for our top-6 and we'd hemorrhage goals with Chris gone so it's probably one step "forward"(?), two steps back.  I mean the team did finish well without Chris but to expect growth next season with a shell of a blueline that's already deprived and a barely "improved" center group with Hank gone is asking for trouble long-term.  Short of Elias breaking out already it's Horvat and the scrubs up the middle.  

I'd be down to acquire McDonald as a replacement for Tanev, along with a solid prospect and pick, or Andrew and 1st.  Agreed with getting Jori separately for something like a 4th though as a low-cost project, he was productive near the end of his time in St. Louis and wouldn't be surprised if he rebounded.  Just not in the context of a direct return in a trade though.

I really want us to be aggressive with the picks/trades/cash dumps this year........it's a strong draft, and we have plenty of short term cap relief, and we have the ability to trade a young forward or an old Dman.............

The original proposal here was 

MacDonald, Lehtera, Sanheim, Phili 2018 1st and Stl 2018 1st

for

Tanev

I like the premise of this Post, but I think Phili wants to come out of this draft with some holes filled.........

So here is my proposal...some what changed

MacDonald + Lehtera + Phili's 2018 1st + Phili's 2019 1st + Phili's 2018 2nd

for

Tanev + Baertschi + 2020 1st

Now, I know that is a lot of moving parts, but Tanev is way better than MacDonald, at a much better cost, and is younger by 3 years, which gives RHD Sanheim and Myers time to mature, while reducing cap, and obtaining a decent offensive LW, which they are in short supply of. 

The Canucks, give up the 2020 1st, to even the 1st's coming back.........Phili keeps Stl 2018 1st, so that they are in the game this year, and the cap saved allows Phili to look at UFA's that might be available to them.

Vancouver gets picks now, which fits in with their rebuild better, as well as getting 2 1st's in both the 2018 and 2019 draft in Vancouver and the 2018 2nd.........Vancouver takes the cash dumps and lives with the short term ramifications.............

When Bourke went after the Sedin's, there was just as many moving parts, and if it had been put down on paper, including the having to tell another GM that basically they won't come unless they are together, and we won't trade ours and by the way you have to trust me, as well...........there is no way you believe it could happen.........

Short term, I don't think it hurts us too much as I think MacDonald can hold on for 2 years, and if he doesn't, we buy him out, the last year, or move him with cap retained.......

I believe this deal favours Phili, but it allows us to condense our picks, and build faster.......I would give more! for this option.

2018 Draft                                                 2019 Draft (estimated.)                                  2020 Draft (estimated)

Vancouver's 6th OA                                  Vancouver's 10th OA                                       1st (traded to Phili)     

Phili's 10th OA                                           Phili's 18th OA                                                 Vancouver's 2nd 47th

Vancouver's 37th OA                                 Vancouver's 41st OA                                      Vancouver's 3rd 78th 

Phili's 41st OA                                            Vancouver's 72nd OA

Vancouver's 68th OA

I know, you guys would not do it, but I would! Get er done Jim!

Archived