The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Go big on UFA...or not at all!

Two trains of thought. (If we win the draft lottery, #1 becomes even more possible)

#1 Go hard after Tavares $10.5 mil (27), Kane $7 mil (26), and Carlson $8 mil (28)

If you can convince 2 or 3 of them to come.  Then trade away combination of Tanev, Hutton, MDZ, Granlund for picks and prospects to make more room.

Let Gaudette, Petersson, Dahlen, Lind, fight it out for space on big team.  If they deserve it, then make space.  Trade Baertschi if need be.

Kane Tavares Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Motte Gagner Eriksson

Gaunce Sutter Leipsic

Edler Carlson

Juolevi Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

MDZ/Hutton/McEneny/Brisebois maybe Tryamkin the following year.

Obviously, I have no idea whether any of these free agents want to come here, but a lot of the contenders don't have money to spend.  I think that our pool of young players, a great place to live for the foreseeable future. We are a team with powerplay time, money and excellent young players to play with. 

This would be an awesome lineup for now and in the future or so as younger players fill in for Gagner, Eriksson and Sutter.

#2 Do not spend FA money on players over 28 (maybe for 1 year term) and keep your cap space and give the kids time.  I do not want to watch Paul Statsny, Tyler Bozak or anybody else play out their careers.  If we can't rebuild quickly with big players in their prime, I want to see the young guys get time, and I want us to have cap flexibility for next year and years to come.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Gagner Petersson

Goldobin Sutter Eriksson

Archibald Gaunce Leipsic

Motte, Gaudette, Lind, Jasek all play in Utica waiting for a call up.

Edler Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

MDZ Hutton

I apologize up front if I missed something.  There were too many moving parts and my brain doesn't handle that well.  My point is basically in the title.

10 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

We waste money and derail the rebuild and im willing to bet we dont even make the playoffs

Anything is possible.  However, the point of the sport is to win and adding 3 top free agents in their prime can hardly be called, wasting money.  If we could have the Sedins at 27 back, we would have made the playoffs this year.  

Sign a couple reasonably priced UFA's to support the developing core (just like last summer essentially) and for the most part let the kids play as much as possible next season.  Save the bulk of our new-found financial flexibility for future signings (2019 UFA class) when it will be more clear what our specific needs are.  After this year's draft and another season from our prospects we'll have a far better understanding of what we really have in the likes of Virt/Dahlen/EP/Lind/Gadjo/Demko/2018 draft class/etc....  People forget we're going to have sign 10 of our own RFA's within the next two years barring any potential trades - one of them being BB who is due a HEFTY raise. 

11 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

We waste money and derail the rebuild and im willing to bet we dont even make the playoffs

Actually, I did the math about a week ago and we CAN afford to acquire Tavares and still keep the rebuild going on pace. (Minus the good draft pick, of course).  In fact, we had a bit left over but I don't think it would be enough to sign what Kane would want, as we have to sign Boeser a year later and that's going to be big bucks.

I do think, severe injuries aside, that this makes us a playoff team next season.  Barely.  The real fun doesn't start until we have all the young guys in the lineup.

We are still in a rebuild mode. Tavares, Carlson, and even Kane aren't coming here. 

I would rather save the cap space for 2019 or even 2020 UFAs.

Next season, the Canucks will inevitably play an exciting brand of hockey with so much youth taking over and we will show a lot of promise to the rest of the NHL. But due to lack of experience, we will most likely miss the playoffs one more season. We will get one more high draft pick to fill whatever holes we can and to round out the prospect depth.

We can go after UFAs to fill whatever holes we didn't manage to fill by next year's draft.

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If Tavares is a UFA Vancouver is in a position to match ANY offer. (Aside from NYI's 8th year because we can't)

As for why he'd wanna come here? Money talks.

One could argue that a shot at the Stanley Cup on a contender definitely sounds more enticing.

5 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If Tavares is a UFA Vancouver is in a position to match ANY offer. (Aside from NYI's 8th year because we can't)

As for why he'd wanna come here? Money talks.

I honestly don't think Vancouver is as bad of a destination for Tavares as many do on here.

For starters, it's a beautiful city, and the fans are crazy about the team.  (Sometimes too crazy maybe.  It could be a detriment.)

And yes, the first year will probably not go that wonderfully depending on who makes the team and whether or not we can make up the lack of scoring from guys who have left.   But after that, it looks really, really good.  He could play with Pettersson and Boeser as quite possibly the best line in the NHL.  With a combination of our other young guys to fill out the bottom nine combined with not THAT bad of a current roster, as much as the media doesn't want to admit it we are indeed an up and coming team.  Obviously our d needs a star back there and we need better goaltending, but there ARE star defensemen available via UFA, and if Demko delivers we should be solid there too.

Basically, we have what Tavares wanted to see in Long Island.  He wanted to see the team was moving in the right direction and that and that he was going to be able to continue his career with a chance he could win the cup. If he leaves he clearly didn't believe that was going to happen in New York (and I agree), but we DO offer that potential... he just has to wait a couple of years but with him as an addition, our already bright future looks really exceptionally good.

49 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Two trains of thought. (If we win the draft lottery, #1 becomes even more possible)

#1 Go hard after Tavares $10.5 mil (27), Kane $7 mil (26), and Carlson $8 mil (28)

If you can convince 2 or 3 of them to come.  Then trade away combination of Tanev, Hutton, MDZ, Granlund for picks and prospects to make more room.

Let Gaudette, Petersson, Dahlen, Lind, fight it out for space on big team.  If they deserve it, then make space.  Trade Baertschi if need be.

Kane Tavares Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Motte Gagner Eriksson

Gaunce Sutter Leipsic

Edler Carlson

Juolevi Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

MDZ/Hutton/McEneny/Brisebois maybe Tryamkin the following year.

Obviously, I have no idea whether any of these free agents want to come here, but a lot of the contenders don't have money to spend.  I think that our pool of young players, a great place to live for the foreseeable future. We are a team with powerplay time, money and excellent young players to play with. 

This would be an awesome lineup for now and in the future or so as younger players fill in for Gagner, Eriksson and Sutter.

#2 Do not spend FA money on players over 28 (maybe for 1 year term) and keep your cap space and give the kids time.  I do not want to watch Paul Statsny, Tyler Bozak or anybody else play out their careers.  If we can't rebuild quickly with big players in their prime, I want to see the young guys get time, and I want us to have cap flexibility for next year and years to come.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Gagner Petersson

Goldobin Sutter Eriksson

Archibald Gaunce Leipsic

Motte, Gaudette, Lind, Jasek all play in Utica waiting for a call up.

Edler Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

MDZ Hutton

I apologize up front if I missed something.  There were too many moving parts and my brain doesn't handle that well.  My point is basically in the title.

NEVER NEVER WILL THEY SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY ON 3  FREE AGENTS 

1. TAVERES 10 MILLION - 7YRS,  2.KANE 7 MILLION--- 6 YRS   3. CARLSON 7 MILLION 7 YEARS ==  24 MILLION PER YR FOR THESE GUYS??? NEVER

STUPID WE COULD NOT RESIGN ANY PROSPECT???????

BOSER WILL BE SIGNING SOON FOR 6.5 MILLION, PETTERSSON 3 YRS FROM NOW   6=7 MILLION

ALSO SECOND IDEA IS THE SAME TEAM AT THIS YEAR????//

CANUCKS WILL MAKE SEVERAL TRADES AND MAYBE TAKE BACK A BAD CONTRACT , LIKE JASON SPEZZA 1 YR LEFT AT 7 MILLION...

HE CAN PLAY 2ND LINE CENTRE AND ONLY ONE YEAR LEFT, GET A PROSPECT OR DRAFT PICK BACK TO TAKE CONTRACT..

THEY WILL ADD GRIT ALSO...

WILL NOT KEEP SAME LINE UP ...

37 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Actually, I did the math about a week ago and we CAN afford to acquire Tavares and still keep the rebuild going on pace. (Minus the good draft pick, of course).  In fact, we had a bit left over but I don't think it would be enough to sign what Kane would want, as we have to sign Boeser a year later and that's going to be big bucks.

I do think, severe injuries aside, that this makes us a playoff team next season.  Barely.  The real fun doesn't start until we have all the young guys in the lineup.

HE IS 27 AND WILL GO TO A TOP 10 TEAM RIGHT NOW..COULD EVEN SEE TORONTO GO AFTER HIM...

22 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

One could argue that a shot at the Stanley Cup on a contender definitely sounds more enticing.

That could be the case as well. Really depends on the player.

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I honestly don't think Vancouver is as bad of a destination for Tavares as many do on here.

For starters, it's a beautiful city, and the fans are crazy about the team.  (Sometimes too crazy maybe.  It could be a detriment.)

And yes, the first year will probably not go that wonderfully depending on who makes the team and whether or not we can make up the lack of scoring from guys who have left.   But after that, it looks really, really good.  He could play with Pettersson and Boeser as quite possibly the best line in the NHL.  With a combination of our other young guys to fill out the bottom nine combined with not THAT bad of a current roster, as much as the media doesn't want to admit it we are indeed an up and coming team.  Obviously our d needs a star back there and we need better goaltending, but there ARE star defensemen available via UFA, and if Demko delivers we should be solid there too.

Basically, we have what Tavares wanted to see in Long Island.  He wanted to see the team was moving in the right direction and that and that he was going to be able to continue his career with a chance he could win the cup. If he leaves he clearly didn't believe that was going to happen in New York (and I agree), but we DO offer that potential... he just has to wait a couple of years but with him as an addition, our already bright future looks really exceptionally good.

Bang on! The only bright thing on NYI is Barzel and we have Boeser + Pettersson + Horvat. The draft lottery could also play a role in his decision imo. I think if NYI or VAN wins it that helps their case.

Just now, Pears said:

With what cap space?

Toronto will be making trades after they lose to Boston in 5 games..

Big shake up coming in May, new manager and change style of teamm

They are not built for playoffs, still need a Tanev type guy...

They will make cap room.....

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Toronto will be making trades after they lose to Boston in 5 games..

Big shake up coming in May, new manager and change style of teamm

They are not built for playoffs, still need a Tanev type guy...

They will make cap room.....

You do realize they have to re-sign Matthews, Nylander and Marner within the next two years right? They need at least one top 2-4 RD as well. 0 room for Tavares. 

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

HE IS 27 AND WILL GO TO A TOP 10 TEAM RIGHT NOW..COULD EVEN SEE TORONTO GO AFTER HIM...

IT IS POSSIBLE, BUT I'M JUST SAYING THAT IT IS ALSO REMOTELY POSSIBLE HE MIGHT PICK A TEAM LIKE OURS IF WE CAN SELL HIM ON WHAT IS TO COME IN SHORT ORDER.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP YELLING NOW?

56 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Anything is possible.  However, the point of the sport is to win and adding 3 top free agents in their prime can hardly be called, wasting money.  If we could have the Sedins at 27 back, we would have made the playoffs this year.  

Correction if we could have Luongo and the Sedins back.

To be clear, I am not saying that we should or shouldn't do either option.  I just don't want us to sign anymore 30 somethings to 3-4 year deals.  I either want a crazy spending spree to make us competitive now, or I want to watch the young guys learn as they go.  

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

To be clear, I am not saying that we should or shouldn't do either option.  I just don't want us to sign anymore 30 somethings to 3-4 year deals.  I either want a crazy spending spree to make us competitive now, or I want to watch the young guys learn as they go.  

I agree with this.  We already have Eriksson, but if he isn't going to produce we don't need any more bad contracts.  

Bottom line is that we aren't going to be truly competitive now, no matter what.  (If our versions of "competitive" are the same).  We can win more games, and perhaps even make the playoffs but even with, say, Tarvares, we'd probably be out in the 1st round.  That's not competitive... that's just a waste of money.

Luckily with all the young talent we have coming, we could suppliment a guy like Tavares pretty darn quickly.  He's 27 now; if we signed him for 5 or 6 years he should just be *starting* a decline at the very end.  I actually think he will be just as good in 5-6 as he is now, so I'm fine with offering him a long term deal.

Archived