The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Go big on UFA...or not at all!

Id sign Carlsson in a heart beat, maybr Tavares too.  Pass on Kane though, I'm worried once he gets his pay day his morale fabric might come back to bite us sooner that later.  Jets players were happy to see him go, I know that he's supposedly matured, but why take the risk.

Its a pipe dream, but a fun exercise, to imagine these sort of players in our lineup as soon as next year, but the hard truth we have to face is the Sedins are gone and there really are no shortcuts.  Drafting and developing is the key to our future .

23 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The problem with that suggestion is that the vast majority of NHL players don’t reach UFA status until age 27.  So if you’re targeting players age 25 < then you’re gonna have to go the trade route (or the far less likely offer sheet route) 

Or walk in undrafted players... scraping the barrel for sure   

On 2018-04-16 at 12:34 PM, Dixon Ward said:

Two trains of thought. (If we win the draft lottery, #1 becomes even more possible)

#1 Go hard after Tavares $10.5 mil (27), Kane $7 mil (26), and Carlson $8 mil (28)

If you can convince 2 or 3 of them to come.  Then trade away combination of Tanev, Hutton, MDZ, Granlund for picks and prospects to make more room.

Let Gaudette, Petersson, Dahlen, Lind, fight it out for space on big team.  If they deserve it, then make space.  Trade Baertschi if need be.

Kane Tavares Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Motte Gagner Eriksson

Gaunce Sutter Leipsic

Edler Carlson

Juolevi Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

MDZ/Hutton/McEneny/Brisebois maybe Tryamkin the following year.

Obviously, I have no idea whether any of these free agents want to come here, but a lot of the contenders don't have money to spend.  I think that our pool of young players, a great place to live for the foreseeable future. We are a team with powerplay time, money and excellent young players to play with. 

This would be an awesome lineup for now and in the future or so as younger players fill in for Gagner, Eriksson and Sutter.

#2 Do not spend FA money on players over 28 (maybe for 1 year term) and keep your cap space and give the kids time.  I do not want to watch Paul Statsny, Tyler Bozak or anybody else play out their careers.  If we can't rebuild quickly with big players in their prime, I want to see the young guys get time, and I want us to have cap flexibility for next year and years to come.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Gagner Petersson

Goldobin Sutter Eriksson

Archibald Gaunce Leipsic

Motte, Gaudette, Lind, Jasek all play in Utica waiting for a call up.

Edler Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

MDZ Hutton

I apologize up front if I missed something.  There were too many moving parts and my brain doesn't handle that well.  My point is basically in the title.

I've signed, traded, and drafted just about every available player as an armchair gm, but imho, I believe management has the right plan with staying quiet this offseason and letting the prospects we should have in our lineup next season develop as a group.

Don't get me wrong. In saying that, I, totally, get the temptation to throw it all at Tavares. He'd definitely look sharp in the blue and green but I see more value in letting the youth take the reigns of this team and establishing their own identity with Horvat as Captain.

Tavares, Kane, Green, Carlson are all players that have never won a SC, so they are likely going to choose a contending team.

IF (and that's a big IF) any of them came to Vancouver, it would have to be for big $$$, term and NMC.  Not a great situation for a team in the midst of a rebuild.

Stay the course, Jimmy.  Trade anyone that can be spared or doesn't fit team needs for picks.  Only sign an UFA(s) that might get you picks or young players -Like Motte or Dahlen at TDL.  Ignore impatient fans (and owners) that want the rebuild over with already.

Have yourself a busy summer next year, as there will be a # of  desperate teams that will be up against the cap in the fall.  That's when you want to be adding to the team.  And please...NO NMCs!!!!! 

If we are in the running for Tavares or Carlsson we'd have to take it seriously.  Still not sold on Kane, rather just not go there.  Carlsson would be great, he really is very good and has been for a long time now, wouldn't expect sixty plus points (at least right away), but Boeser and eventually Pettersson will make up for Ovi and Backstrom.

Green would be ok for three years too, he's always almost a lock for 35-45 points, and you never know the young guys might  click with him on the PP, what he's managed in a dreadful Detroit team is encouraging, I'd bet with Boeser as a trigger man he will be forgetting about Tatar and Zetterberg pretty quickly.  Also he can actually score goals too, imagine that.  He won't be putting up Karlsson type points even again, but he's one of the better offensive defenseman of his generation, and hardly old yet.

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Grab Maroon and Reaves and let the kids have fun while they learn. 

There's a reason why Gretzky thought so highly of Semenko and demanded McSorely in his trade to LA.  Crosby would have been protected in that era and never missed the games he has...I'm all for this.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

There's a reason why Gretzky thought so highly of Semenko and demanded McSorely in his trade to LA.  Crosby would have been protected in that era and never missed the games he has...I'm all for this.

They would be our Site Safety officers. "Excuse me? Mr Clutterbuck..."

I don't mind the idea... a number one center is what we are lacking. He dream of a Tavares would flesh out our top 6 nicely as our prospects fill out. Tavares has been mentioned as a player who influenced those around him. Might be a great mentor.

I doubt he would sign here tho... unless he want to play with boeser? :)

The idea of a number 1 offensive defenseman is another desperate need the Canucks have and would speed up the rebuild as well.

My only concern would be the cost.... 

I doubt any of the tankers can be talked out of their own  fantasy of 5 top 3 picks in a row anyways np matter what you might say.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:41 AM, higgyfan said:

Tavares, Kane, Green, Carlson are all players that have never won a SC, so they are likely going to choose a contending team.

IF (and that's a big IF) any of them came to Vancouver, it would have to be for big $$$, term and NMC.  Not a great situation for a team in the midst of a rebuild.

Stay the course, Jimmy.  Trade anyone that can be spared or doesn't fit team needs for picks.  Only sign an UFA(s) that might get you picks or young players -Like Motte or Dahlen at TDL.  Ignore impatient fans (and owners) that want the rebuild over with already.

Have yourself a busy summer next year, as there will be a # of  desperate teams that will be up against the cap in the fall.  That's when you want to be adding to the team.  And please...NO NMCs!!!!! 

I don't necessarily agree.  I think that they may consider a team if it looked like they were going to be contending soon - really depends on the person.  As for big money and a NMC, I think that's fine if the player was a sure-fire star.  Tavares, I'd be ok with.  Carlson has had one amazing year and the others have been merely good, so I'm not sure I'd want to see a clause there.  Same with Kane.  I do agree that to land any of these big names a clause would need to be included.  

We cannot afford another Eriksson.

Just sign replacements on d for 1-2 years. So tanev mdz and maybe even edler (yes I know he has a no movement clause) can get moved for picks or prospects or young nhl ready d men or cap dump d men to add picks or prospects. Let the young forwards play see how they develop. Let demko light up the ahl for the first half the year until Nilsson can get moved for a bag of pucks. Then run a tandem of marky and thatcher unless one starts to run with it. 

How JB manages the offseason will be decided at the draft lottery.  If we win, and get to draft Dahlen, I think that changes the entire plan and we shift into filling out the roster in order to compete.  If we don't win, then we continue the rebuild for another year.

Just for fun......

Sign Tavares 7 yr x 10 mill

Sign John Carlson 6 yr x  8 mill

Sign Evander Kane 6 yr x 6 Mil

Draft Rasmus Dahlin

Kane Tavares Boeser  (16.925 Mill)

Pettersson Horvat Goldobin (7.4 MIll, )

Leipsic Sutter Virtanen (7.05 Mill, Virt @ 2)

Eriksson Gagner Granlund (10 Mill)

Motte, Gaunce  (1.7 Mill)

Forwards:  43.08 Mill

Edler Carlson (13 Mill)

Dahlin Tanev  (5.5 Mill

Stetcher Gudbranson (6.5 Mill, Stecher @2.5)

Pouliot (1.5 Mill)

Defence: 26.5 Mil

Markstrom 3.7 Mil

Nilson 2.5 Mil

Goalies 6.2 Mill

Total 76 MIl

Trade Bait: Hutton, Del Zotto, Baertschi, all of the 4th line, 

AHL: Saunter, Biega, Archibald, Boucher, Gaudette, Joulevi, Demko, Dahlen, Lind

We still keep $6 mill of unused cap space to offset ELC's as they expire.  The Other ELC's will be replacing expiring contracts and buyouts.

Not going to happen,  but I think this team would be fun to watch.

And the number of star UFA's that have moved and signed with bottom feeder teams is............0. Not counting resigning their own UFA.

Star UFA's that move just don't go to bottom feeders unless they have a player like McDavid, Mathews, Eichel or ? on them already.

What star highly paid player will want to move into a fish bowl and have to deal with the herd of media game after game? It is not like the team goes from 28th to the third round of the playoffs in one year, who is that good that is a FA?

Signing multiples of FA would be beyond this management groups "plan" and would be extremely difficult to organize because one would have to signed before the other would want to come and three would be even harder to time.

Sure signing Taveras, Karlsson and Doughty would make a huge difference but how do you convince one to come if the others don't?

So don't go at all in the FA market, weaponize the cap to move up in the draft, get top draft picks like other teams have done or make a blockbuster trade later.

Archived