The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Could you imagine how things would have played out if the Sedins came out scoring 100 points as rookies like Crosby and Ovechkin?  The WCE would have needed a new name, no way any team could defend against that, Cloutier would have been enough, and we'd have had at least two parades already, if not three or four...

...to get us to the third round.

On 2018-04-16 at 8:50 PM, tas said:

At face value, the obvious answer to that question is, "how are those two things related and yes to both." Normally, the only two things pretty much universally agreed upon here are that Horvat is the captain in waiting and that the Canucks would benefit (duh) from drafting a generational talent. Here's a little food for thought: those things can't really go together. 

In 2018, the captain is almost always the team's best, highest paid, most marketable player. The days of having a less heralded, character guy as captain are pretty much entirely gone. This is especially true with generational players. They captain their teams. Even the ones you wouldn't expect to end up  captaining their teams (Ovechkin, Erik Karlsson).

Which leads us to Horvat. If you name him captain, the only way that'll change is if he retires, signs elsewhere, or gets traded. There is no scenario where you make the guy captain, take it away, and have him stay with the team. What happens when you name him captain and then the team sucks again next year and wins the 1st overall?

That's why the best plan is to go with no captain next year. You draft in June, play the year, draft again NEXT June. and then see what you have in the system. If you have a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise, you throw the C on Sutter or Gudbranson until the kid is ready and give Bo an A. If you don't, you give Bo the C and you better stop building and start winning. 

In Winnipeg, Blake Wheeler is definitely not the best player on the team. A great player, but not the best. You can say Patrick Laine is the best player, yet Wheeler is captain. They are awesome this year with him as captain. And I think Bo would be a similar player/ captain as Wheeler.

So you’re logic doesn’t really make sense. You don’t need to be the best player in this new age nhl to be captain material. You just need to set an example. 

2 hours ago, Perceptor089 said:

In Winnipeg, Blake Wheeler is definitely not the best player on the team. A great player, but not the best. You can say Patrick Laine is the best player, yet Wheeler is captain. They are awesome this year with him as captain. And I think Bo would be a similar player/ captain as Wheeler.

So you’re logic doesn’t really make sense. You don’t need to be the best player in this new age nhl to be captain material. You just need to set an example. 

wheeler just led his team in scoring by over 20 points. 

The captain just has to be a leader on and off the ice. He needs to put the team on his shoulders when need be, and know how to handle the media as well. Whoever the boys will listen to and follow, respect, etc. Whoever that may be, I'm sure the guys in the locker room know. Seems to point towards Horvat.

2 hours ago, tas said:

wheeler just led his team in scoring by over 20 points. 

Beat me to it.  He's one of the most underrated and underappreciated stars in the league.  All he does year after year is end up scoring around 75 pts out producing big names ...Wheeler is a power forward too, those guys are hard to come by, and has oddles of leadership.  Scheiffle and Laine will eventually supplant his production, but the past five years he's in very, very elite company.

Bo is going to be the new captain. He's got the shoulders to handle it. It would be very surprising if anything else would happen. 

We have a good player in Brock and a possible in Pettersson should he make it but let them concentrate on scoring and let Bo deal with the things he already is good at doing. 

• 2 months later...

Going with no captain makes us look like indecisive buffoons. The one thing I'm sure of is that Horvat should get the "A" before the "C".

The problem with Horvat is that from the moment he stepped on the ice as a pro at the NHL level, fans have anointed him the captaincy, leaving no room for anyone else. Not saying he shouldn't get the "C" but there's some conditioning going on that's not healthy. 

59 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Going with no captain makes us look like indecisive buffoons. The one thing I'm sure of is that Horvat should get the "A" before the "C".

The problem with Horvat is that from the moment he stepped on the ice as a pro at the NHL level, fans have anointed him the captaincy, leaving no room for anyone else. Not saying he shouldn't get the "C" but there's some conditioning going on that's not healthy. 

That is probably the best compromise.  I certainly do not see anyone else on the horizon other than Bo for Captain, at least not now. He is the perfect age as well. Young enough to grow with the team, and by the time we are contenders he will be one of our vets. But not too young to not have the respect of the room. But If there was a way to anoint a Sutter, or an Edler, even Del Zotto, or Guddy,with the C with the express condition told behind closed doors, that it would only be for a year, that or it would be rotated through the year between a few players.  But Bo would be wearing the A letter all season. And then, if all goes as planned, hand him the C at the start of next season.  Let him concentrate on polishing his game more. Ease him into the responsibility. This shouldn't be a fan based appointment.

That said, I wouldn't be handing in my seasons tickets if Bo was made captain for this coming season.  Can't actually afford season's tickets, just wanted to use that in a sentence ;)

On 2018-04-16 at 9:57 PM, BCNeil said:

I am too.  It's true, at this level of hockey the Captain is almost always the team's leading scorer.  

These letters are just symbols of the teams best players.  

What would the current job description of the Captain's duties be?

Well he’s the go-to guy for the refs on the ice and the media off the ice. He can handle answering the difficult questions without getting rattled. Bo is excellent at this. 

Being a leader on and off the ice ie: always shows up, leaves it all out there, works hard, etc etc. 

To me, this topic is the very definition of over thinking.

I highly doubt this will affect the players at all if Horvat is the captain over someone who shows up later and proves to be a better recipient of the "C". Is the thought process of who may or may not show up later really enough to affect who gets the "C" now?

EDIT: Had info wrong

On 21/04/2018 at 2:25 AM, Perceptor089 said:

Laine is a one dimensional floater.  Did you even watch the playoffs?

On 2018-04-21 at 7:29 AM, IBatch said:

Beat me to it.  He's one of the most underrated and underappreciated stars in the league.  All he does year after year is end up scoring around 75 pts out producing big names ...Wheeler is a power forward too, those guys are hard to come by, and has oddles of leadership.  Scheiffle and Laine will eventually supplant his production, but the past five years he's in very, very elite company.

And Bo has the potential to be the same.  If he plays 82 games.

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

And Bo has the potential to be the same.  If he plays 82 games

Wheeler is a top ten scorer the past five years combined, I think it's a bit of a stretch that Horvat will get there and stay there for that length of time considering the names on that list.  Like I said one of the most consistent and underrated guys in the league, and he plays a heavy game and oozes leadership....that part I agree Horvat can obtain but that sort of offense is a big stretch, maybe if the load up one line but with who?  

Archived