The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

11 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I am too.  It's true, at this level of hockey the Captain is almost always the team's leading scorer.  

These letters are just symbols of the teams best players.  

Not sure about this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NHL_captains_and_alternate_captains

Benn, Kopitar, McDavid, Tavares, Giroux, Ovechkin... by my count those are the only guys that are captains and also leading scorers. There were 26 teams with a captain this year, meaning that just under 25% of teams had a captain that was their leading scorer.

Why is there even a debate?

Horvat should he captain end of story. He's the first one to emerge as a glimmer of some hope for the future of the canucks (we did not have nearly as deep of a prospect pool as we do now in terms of talent). Hes worked his way up from the 4th to the first line. Where once we were hoping he'd become a solid 3c for us, now we talk about how he will stack up against the rest of the leagues top centres - The franchise will NOT have a difficult time marketing that story.

Bounced back after having a very rough sophomore start. He has invaluable playoff experience.  (even one round is huge for young players to to through)

Most importantly, he's  learned the most from the Sedins in terms of what it takes for a young player to become a professional and would be the perfect leader to pass on that knowledge to the new generation of canucks that will be coming through. 

Horvat for captain. 

If Bo is deemed ready, he'll wear the C.  If not, either Sutter or Gudbranson would be fine choices, or we can roll without a captain.  Any of those would be fine choices and I trust our management and coach to make the right decision.  These guys will be the leadership of the new group regardless of what letters they wear.

So much of what makes a captain goes on outside of the fans' eyes that it's unreasonable to expect any of us to be able to produced an educated opinion.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's give Bo a K. This might spark rumours that Van is pondering to join the KHL. Bettmang will panic, & grant us two straight #1 OA's. It's clever.

I love it. Russian tampering is all the rage right now.

I'm personally good with having no captains next year, however Horvat should 100% get an A next season. Not that it's obligatory, but would be fitting given where we are as a team and changing the culture of the team.

Horvat, Edler should both have A's. Have Sutter and Tanev split A duties (home and away games). 

John Tavares wears a C. Some people called him "Generational". 

Pettersson could be the first generational nobody knew about beforehand, then we strike it rich in the lotto and get generational Dahlin.

That would be a multi-generational threesome.

Not the kind Nikki Sixx wrote about in "The Heroin Diaries"...but the kind of team that would need at least three C's and five A's.

3 hours ago, tas said:

In 2018, the captain is almost always the team's best, highest paid, most marketable player. The days of having a less heralded, character guy as captain are pretty much entirely gone. This is especially true with generational players. They captain their teams. Even the ones you wouldn't expect to end up  captaining their teams (Ovechkin, Erik Karlsson).

Yeah, and it's garbage. The Edmonton Oilers have a plethora of legends and had one of the best teams ever. Everyone at Rogers Place is wearing MCDAVID 97.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

This is ridiculous, even by CDC standards.

You can name Horvat captain and still be able to draft the BPA.  I am confident that Benning will draft the type of character player that would be honoured to be an alternate captain.

Besides, 'Generational Talent' is a term that is WAY overused.

I agree with you, but it takes guts to create a thread. You don't have to be so crass about it. 

By this line of reasoning even if we don't get Dahlin we should be naming Boeser captain. He's our most proficient point producer, will soon to be our highest paid player, likely, and is the prettiest man I have ever seen. He is by far the most marketable guy. His shot says deadly, his eyes say "I'll keep you safe". :wub:

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

Why is there even a debate?

Horvat should he captain end of story. He's the first one to emerge as a glimmer of some hope for the future of the canucks (we did not have nearly as deep of a prospect pool as we do now in terms of talent). Hes worked his way up from the 4th to the first line. Where once we were hoping he'd become a solid 3c for us, now we talk about how he will stack up against the rest of the leagues top centres - The franchise will NOT have a difficult time marketing that story.

Bounced back after having a very rough sophomore start. He has invaluable playoff experience.  (even one round is huge for young players to to through)

Most importantly, he's  learned the most from the Sedins in terms of what it takes for a young player to become a professional and would be the perfect leader to pass on that knowledge to the new generation of canucks that will be coming through. 

Horvat for captain. 

"I  think no matter what" Edler should be the captain for next year. Why put added pressure on a kid just starting to become one of the better 2 way centres in the league? Let him focus on his game, and give him an A for his obvious commitment to the team and for how much work he puts in. Look at Mcdavid  after games in the media scrums. The kid looks lost most of the time. He usually just uses cliches. I think he will be a fine captain for them one day. Just think a captain needs to have battled through more than one 6 game series where he was obviously overwhelmed and who wouldn't be at that age? 

I think no matter who we draft in the future Bo should be our Captain, just not yet. Give him an A this year for his commitment to the City and the team. He is the epitome of what A  captain should be. He works his but off, went from a projected 3rd liner to an emerging star that already has the eastern media taking notice and have him pencilled in as the second line centre for the next Olympics. Obviously take that with a grain of salt, just when the heck do we ever get noticed out here?

Now that being said if we land JT well that kinda muddles up the whole thing. Would be a nice problem to have tho. Bo is such a good teammate I doubt it would ever be an issue anyway

Another guy to consider is imo the most under-rated player we have Brandon Sutter. He goes about his biz is always professional never complains about his role. Which I think he deserves more of an offensive role since I think he would still be just as effective defensively  PS my reason for Edler got erased my reason for him is he has been a warrior for us through thick and thin. He has more battle scars then anybody else and his love for this team and City makes him an obvious choice.

48 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

By this line of reasoning even if we don't get Dahlin we should be naming Boeser captain. He's our most proficient point producer, will soon to be our highest paid player, likely, and is the prettiest man I have ever seen. He is by far the most marketable guy. His shot says deadly, his eyes say "I'll keep you safe". :wub:

OMG you are smitten

i think we should suspend all your hockey watching privileges next season

until your feet touch the ground again

ps - i have been advocating him for captain for some time now, but only for his hockey talent and maturity

10 hours ago, tas said:

At face value, the obvious answer to that question is, "how are those two things related and yes to both." Normally, the only two things pretty much universally agreed upon here are that Horvat is the captain in waiting and that the Canucks would benefit (duh) from drafting a generational talent. Here's a little food for thought: those things can't really go together. 

In 2018, the captain is almost always the team's best, highest paid, most marketable player. The days of having a less heralded, character guy as captain are pretty much entirely gone. This is especially true with generational players. They captain their teams. Even the ones you wouldn't expect to end up  captaining their teams (Ovechkin, Erik Karlsson).

Which leads us to Horvat. If you name him captain, the only way that'll change is if he retires, signs elsewhere, or gets traded. There is no scenario where you make the guy captain, take it away, and have him stay with the team. What happens when you name him captain and then the team sucks again next year and wins the 1st overall?

That's why the best plan is to go with no captain next year. You draft in June, play the year, draft again NEXT June. and then see what you have in the system. If you have a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise, you throw the C on Sutter or Gudbranson until the kid is ready and give Bo an A. If you don't, you give Bo the C and you better stop building and start winning. 

I kind of always viewed it similarly as well. You can't really have a bruiser, or a Malhotra-type as captain anymore. (Malhotra just always seemed like captain material to me), although Mackenzie is still captain of the Panthers. The captains of a team are the guys who will stay with the team for a long time and be the integral part of the core. And this description doesn't really apply to just anyone, but it does usually apply to the leading scorers of a team. Especially those drafter decently high. 

Like some other guys have already mentioned, by your logic, we'd have to make Boeser the captain. I think the captain of a team needs to be a high-scoring integral member of the team's core. Then it's easy to argue that Horvat could take over. 

As an example. Toews over Kane, yet both are part of the core. Foligno over Panarin. Greene over Hall. 

Archived