The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

11 hours ago, canuktravella said:

horvats to young to have c  id give it to guddy A to edler horvat  but thats just me or have no captain 

On 4 September 2012, the Colorado Avalanche announced Landeskog as team captain, at the time making him the youngest captain in NHL history. At 19 years and 286 days (or 19 years, nine months and 13 days), Landeskog was 11 days younger than when Sidney Crosby was named captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Horvat is 23 years old. Stop talking out of your ass.

12 hours ago, goalie13 said:

This is ridiculous, even by CDC standards.

You can name Horvat captain and still be able to draft the BPA.  I am confident that Benning will draft the type of character player that would be honoured to be an alternate captain.

Besides, 'Generational Talent' is a term that is WAY overused.

Yuuuuup! Thought I'd read this thread you know.. Didnt quite understand the point. Yup It still make know sense. +1 to you though buds. 

39 minutes ago, tas said:

It's a perfectly valid point; it's about commitment. If you give Bo the C, you're committing to him being the face of the franchise for the next 5-10 years. Making that commitment while the team is still rebuilding, whether deliberately or not, carries risk. The discussion was supposed to be about that risk vs. reward.

As pointed out by others in this thread, that is not how it works for every team. Why don't you list every captain in the NHL and see if they follow your line of thinking?

27 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I totally disagree.  How is it a risk?  Just because you select Horvat as your captain doesn't mean Pettersson or Dahlen or Gaudette or Dahlin or anyone else can't be alternate captain.  By all reports, these are guys of character and would be excellent parts of a leadership team.

Addtionally, just because someone is not wearing the C doesn't mean they cannot be the face of the franchise.  Pavel Bure comes to mind.

It doesn't have to be one or the other as your thread implies.

Let's pretend for a minute that Taylor Hall was an excellent leader and the Oilers never had any plans to trade. Let's pretend that the Oilers named him captain the season before they drafted McDavid. How do you think that would have played out?

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

As pointed out by others in this thread, that is not how it works for every team. Why don't you list every captain in the NHL and see if they follow your line of thinking?

How many current generational players are NOT the captain of their team (if they're older than, say, 21)? Not just franchise players or best players on the team, but generational. 

The fan-player popularity test of the past few decades has been difficult to connect with.

When Naslund was made captain here, that was pretty much the end of the brand.

The captain must be the man who can best place the flag atop that hill in any scenario. 

This is has never been a Naslund or a Sedin.

Playoffs. A captain should be the epitome of playoff hockey.

Benn, Landeskog, Chara, or Messier, Trottier types. 

Bo Horvat is a Toews-lite and will be a terrific captain.

Give Bo the C. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The fan-player popularity test of the past few decades has been difficult to connect with.

When Naslund was made captain here, that was pretty much the end of the brand.

The captain must be the man who can best place the flag atop that hill in any scenario. 

This is has never been a Naslund or a Sedin.

Playoffs. A captain should be the epitome of playoff hockey.

Benn, Landeskog, Chara, or Messier, Trottier types. 

Bo Horvat is a Toews-lite and will be a terrific captain.

Give Bo the C. 

What? The Sedins fought through more abuse than any of the playes you mentioned. They were solid in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You-keep-using-that-word.jpg.d2612326eb980da1e9d4f22cb01bafc3.jpg

Please elaborate. The term is obviously a bit subjective in nature. I don't use it to mean a "once per generation" players but rather the players that define a generation. 

9 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What? The Sedins fought through more abuse than any of the playes you mentioned. They were solid in the playoffs.

You must be from the generation who celebrates the victim.

Survivors of abuse unite, all shall wear a pink shirt...!

They did not impact the game unless it was on their sticks. You can’t have a captain like that, as far as my point goes. 

It is one thing to absorb punishment, it’s quite another to have a capacity and the desire to administer it yourself. 

Anyone who suggests that Naslund/Sedin hockey is an epitome of playoff hockey is insane, sorry. 

18 minutes ago, tas said:

Let's pretend for a minute that Taylor Hall was an excellent leader and the Oilers never had any plans to trade. Let's pretend that the Oilers named him captain the season before they drafted McDavid. How do you think that would have played out?

It could have played out one of two ways.  McDavid could have been an excellent alternate captain for Hall, or Hall could have been an excellent alternate captain for McDavid.  

Not all situations have to be like the tire fire that Messier in Vancouver was.

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

On 4 September 2012, the Colorado Avalanche announced Landeskog as team captain, at the time making him the youngest captain in NHL history. At 19 years and 286 days (or 19 years, nine months and 13 days), Landeskog was 11 days younger than when Sidney Crosby was named captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

If you look at the list of team captains, you will find that most of them are closer to 30 than 20.  Many of the rebuilding teams have opted to go without a captain for the time being.

I think that Bo will be the Canucks captain at some point and he is certainly being groomed for it (I have noticed that he has often been the spokesman during the last few weeks of the season..  He's very well spoken with the press and is the type of player everyone loves.  As each year goes by, he seems to be even more cut out of the same cloth as Linden. Heart, integrity, commitment, tenacity, selflessness, confidence and respect from teammates.  These qualities do not necessarily belong to the best player on the team.

In Vancouver, there is a lot of off-ice pressure coming from (mostly) the press, but many fans as well.  Bo has a lot of games under his belt and has already been with the team longer than any other player under 25yrs.  He knows what to expect from the environment.  They might wait for a year or two and go with the 'no captain' situation and have the 'A' group lead by committee, but I do believe Bo is their guy.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

It could have played out one of two ways.  McDavid could have been an excellent alternate captain for Hall, or Hall could have been an excellent alternate captain for McDavid.  

Not all situations have to be like the tire fire that Messier in Vancouver was.

Malkin Corsby 

1 minute ago, tas said:

Please elaborate. The term is obviously a bit subjective in nature. I don't use it to mean a "once per generation" players but rather the players that define a generation. 

Oh! Okay, so you're just choosing to redefine the meaning of words. That makes a lot more sense now; though I don't blame you entirely, the word "generational" gets thrown around much too frequently now when people actually mean "franchise" or "elite".

No, a generational player is just that, a player who comes along once in a generation. There are three generational players in the NHL now: Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid. The fact that Crosby and Ovi both came into the league at the same time was a miracle unto itself. 

6 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I recall at the time a lot of people were a little surprised at the decision. admittedly I am not the most tech savvy person so I would have a hard time digging up the article if it even is still floating around.awhile back after he was named Captain he admitted in an interview that he felt a lot of added pressure and it affected his game. He obviously worked through it but 19 is just too young Not named sid lol.  Mcdavid is the perfect example. So he gets a crapload of points big deal. That is not what makes a captain. Listening to Conner in the scrums makes me think what a zebra must feel like right before it bites the dust.

Now in no way am I saying that Bo would be like that, not even close. What I think is that you have to earn it and so far and it's not his fault but we have not gone to war as a team and guys like Edler  Tanev etc have. Is Bo our future Captain? If I was a betting man based on his character id say hell yea. Is he our leader right now after 4 seasons and 4 playoff games not yet. And that is no jab at him. I just think guys need to be proven in battle before they get named Captain. Don't most people compare hockey to war? well if so you have to earn your rank. A couple of nice gruelling playoff series starting next year I hope lol. Should have him well on his way  Cheers. Ps Tanev would be a good choice if he wasn't so damn injury prone:(

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

If it was about Bo's ability to be captain that would be one thing.  It was the whole concept of not naming a captain just in case a better captain comes along that was the ridiculous part.

You call it ridiculous yet all the smart people who run this team seem to agree. So if anything it's you that's ridiculous for thinking you know better then actual hockey executives.  :lol:

Archived