The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Generational to me means Getzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid for forwards and Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom and Coffee on defence since 1980.

Agree, except that Orr retired in the 1970s.

Coffey has probably the most underappreciated legacy in all of hockey.

I'm sure the only reason management won't anoint Bo captain for next season is they know the team will suck for another couple years, and don't want to $##% him up with that burden.

As for waiting for the generational pick...how long would that wait have to be for? If, as an example, Elias is that generational talent it's going to be 2-3 years before he establishes himself as such. There is only one projected generational talent in this years draft, and the Canucks have a 7.5% chance of picking him. He's what, 17 years old. Make him captain at 18,19? Don't think so.

This line of thinking could go on for years. On the list of priorities for Canucks management to be dealing with, this is WAY down the list.

2 hours ago, lmm said:

\But but but what if we draft a generational talent in 2020????????????

Then you make the tough decisions when you're forced to. But it makes sense for the Canucks to buy some time. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

That's not very nice of you. Should remove that last pic.  Posting takes courage in the first place. Just because you don't like it means you should be a jerk.

I'm far more insulted by your suggestion that I would even acknowledge, let alone be offended by, something as mindless and uncreative as a meme. 

4 hours ago, tas said:

I didn't move the goalposts at all, I just didn't explicitly outline every detail. Was it not obvious that I was talking specifically about the Vancouver Canucks?

it was obvious that you were talking about the canuck team yes

but you were comparing the issue of captaincy to the entire league

you even cited ovi as an example as a less then obvious candidate to be captain

so yes you are a bit disingenuous

and clearly are trying to move the goalposts

it's just weak . but carry on

do what you do

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Agree, except that Orr retired in the 1970s.

Coffey has probably the most underappreciated legacy in all of hockey.

Thank you. I stand corrected and will edit the post.  

Being a Canucks fan meant getting to see way too much of Coffey. Could you image a player like that on Edmonton now? Bleh!

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

it was obvious that you were talking about the canuck team yes

but you were comparing the issue of captaincy to the entire league

you even cited ovi as an example as a less then obvious candidate to be captain

so yes you are a bit disingenuous

and clearly are trying to move the goalposts

it's just weak . but carry on

do what you do

"Which leads us to Horvat. If you name him captain, the only way that'll change is if he retires, signs elsewhere, or gets traded. There is no scenario where you make the guy captain, take it away, and have him stay with the team. What happens when you name him captain and then the team sucks again next year and wins the 1st overall?"

That is the part of my post in question. I'm talking specifically about Bo Horvat and the Canucks. 

And for people who want to throw Luongo out there ... come on. You know as well as I do that that argument is bogus.

- He objectively should not have been named captain in the first place. Everyone acknowledges this. It was a circus. 

-He wasn't even allowed to wear the friggin' letter

-He wasn't stripped, he stepped down because the situation was too awkward

There is no parallel. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

"Which leads us to Horvat. If you name him captain, the only way that'll change is if he retires, signs elsewhere, or gets traded. There is no scenario where you make the guy captain, take it away, and have him stay with the team. What happens when you name him captain and then the team sucks again next year and wins the 1st overall?"

That is the part of my post in question. I'm talking specifically about Bo Horvat and the Canucks. 

And for people who want to throw Luongo out there ... come on. You know as well as I do that that argument is bogus.

- He objectively should not have been named captain in the first place. Everyone acknowledges this. It was a circus. 

-He wasn't even allowed to wear the friggin' letter

-He wasn't stripped, he stepped down because the situation was too awkward

There is no parallel. 

why do you bother

yawn

i have no more interest .. .

post what you mean.. mean what you post . and deal with the commentary

don't spin it for me

bye bye

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

why do you bother

yawn

i have no more interest .. .

post what you mean.. mean what you post . and deal with the commentary

don't spin it for me

bye bye

nice try. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

Then you make the tough decisions when you're forced to. But it makes sense for the Canucks to buy some time. 

It seem to me you have painted yourself in a corner here.

There are no "Generational talents" coming before 2020. If there was we would know who they are by now as they would have played 1 or 2 years of junior.

Gretzsky and Lemieux scored 180 points at 17 , McDavid had 99, is there a player you are thinking of who has already done similar?

Because at this point you are looking at a player 6 years younger than Bo.

You are suggesting saying "Bo, you might be our next Captain, unless some kid 6 years younger than you, who we have not identified yet comes along, then we won't give you the C." 

Somehow you think that is a classy way to treat your probable future Captain?

That is like asking a girl to the dance but adding you might drop her if someone cuter comes along.

I get what you are trying to say, but it is acting in a way that is contrary to the "character' the Canucks are asking of their players.

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Chara is a veteran like the twins. He has lead his team in phyiscal fitness testing year in and year out. He has been a vocal leader in their room for a long time. He is the best big d man I can ever recall. He was and still is one of the best d men in the league. I think we should show some respect even if we hate on the Bruins. 

Chara is one of my favourite D-men ever. I even said in my thread that he's generational. I'm just saying this topic implies that superstars like Pastrnak and Marchand should have captaincy instead. Don't get it twisted.

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Toews is Nick named captain Canada. He is one of the finest leaders in the last 20 years. He will be regarded as high as mark Messier one day in all likelihood.  He is far from void of skill.  Look at his contributions. 

I once though Bo might have Toews level impact on our club but he just isn't well rounded and skilled enough. Toews career had been far more impressive at this age this Bo. You can argue teammates but let's face it Chicago didn't have the twins there providing that offensive contribution. 

I think you're misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying anything bad about Toews.

I &^@#ing love Toews. Don't put words in my mouth.

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sure, maybe, but in the Canucks’ case, it should be Horvat; a middle-six, soon-to-be vet, if we count games played. 

Not disagreeing with you. I think Horvat is the right guy.

But saying the Sedins/Naslund weren't captain or playoff material is ignorant. So many former coaches, teammates, management were gushing about their leadership abilities when Sedins retired. Just go listen to Hank or Danny talk about Naslund. Or go listen to one of the 100+ former teammates talk about how the Sedins treated new/incoming players.

18 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You must be from the generation who celebrates the victim.

Survivors of abuse unite, all shall wear a pink shirt...!

They did not impact the game unless it was on their sticks. You can’t have a captain like that, as far as my point goes. 

It is one thing to absorb punishment, it’s quite another to have a capacity and the desire to administer it yourself. 

Anyone who suggests that Naslund/Sedin hockey is an epitome of playoff hockey is insane, sorry. 

So you wouldn't have made say Gretzky captain of the Oilers? I don't think the guy wearing the C has to be a big hitter to be a leader. Nor do I believe wearing the C contains some magic mojo that will make everybody on the team play like you do.

Captains unite teams and point teams in a singular direction and are mature, responsible representation of the team they lead. IMO Horvats absence this season while hurt showed exactly why he should be the next captain. He's not a rookie anymore and he's clearly been groomed to be the next captain by the Sedins, the coaching staff and management.

How is this even a question? He's the next captain. Period.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

So you wouldn't have made say Gretzky captain of the Oilers? I don't think the guy wearing the C has to be a big hitter to be a leader. Nor do I believe wearing the C contains some magic mojo that will make everybody on the team play like you do.

99 was an anomaly and freak of nature. Point noted. 

Broken clocks...

Luongo was a broken-clock captain, in the other direction.

(Nothing screams inspiration like a pulled goalie, seething away at the far end of the bench!)

Being able to will a win out of any scenario is who you want to put your flag on.

99 could do that with vision alone. Non-generational, one-dimensional  players like Naslund are a great example of who not to make captain. 

#Tas has a point, in a sense, as he conjures his inner oracle to envision a generational talent being drafted who could possibly dethrone Horvat, heir apparent, mainly due to the sickening love affair this market has with its offensive players; a desire to see them wear the C, the team’s flag, as it goes. 

Is Dahlin considered a generational talent? I’m not convinced. I see Ekblad 2.0.

How about Boqvist, who is said to be better than Karlsson at the same age? He’s not heralded as a generational talent. No generational talent in this draft, IMO, but what do I know. 

I doubt this team will be bottom 5 next year, more like 23 OA. 

I expect that Canucks Luck will safeguard Horvat against any future captaincy controversy, via the Lottery and the unlikely arrival generational talents. 

Archived