The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks-Stars

To Vancouver - Jason Spezza ( approx. 7million)

+ decent pick or prospect 

To Dallas - Cap space

Baertchi 

Hutton 

Goldobin Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Spezza Pettersson

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen 

Sutter 

Gaunce, Motte, Archibald, Granlund, 

Edler Gudbranson

Del Zotto Tanev

Juolevi Stetcher 

Biega 

Markstrom

Demko

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

To Dallas - Cap space

Baertchi 

Hutton 

Goldobin Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Spezza Pettersson

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen 

Sutter 

Gaunce, Motte, Archibald, Granlund, 

Edler Gudbranson

Del Zotto Tanev

Juolevi Stetcher 

Biega 

Markstrom

Demko

Confused, 

If we take Spezza 34, 6'2, C  ( 7.5 million - 1 yr left ) That would be okay for 1 yr... We have cap space so we have control of teams wanting to unload big contracts..

We would need a very good prospect or there 2nd rd pick 2018  and 4th rounder 2019

No Hutton and Beartchi in this deal??? 

As bad as Spezza's contract is, we likely wouldn't get much back since it only has one year left. The Red Wings essentially made a regular move to trade down from 16th to 20th to get rid of one year of Datsyuk at 7.5 million. I think fair value would be 2 2nds and a prospect.

Everyone getting excited (upset) about Spezza's salary for 2018/19. It's just one year.

to VAN: Spezza, Honka, 4th (2018) - to recoup the 4th we traded

to DAL: Baertschi, Hutton

If Spezza has a bounce back year in VAN, maybe they re-sign him (cheap) for another year or two, until Pettersson is ready to centre the 2nd line. I also think Honka would be a better D than Hutton, and he's a right shot, still only 22

Juolevi - Honka (the Fins)  

14 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

To Dallas - Cap space

Baertchi 

Hutton 

Ben Kuzma also thinks picking up Spezza would be good for Pettersson’s development. Dallas has enough centers so Spezza is expendable. We could probably flip him at the trade deadline for picks which would be a bonus too. 

I don’t think we would need to give up Baer and I don’t think they’d want Hutt. We will still need Baer for pts. 

So I propose

Dallas: Granlund and 2018 5th 

round pick

Van: Spezza and 2018 1st round pick ((top 3 protected) & additional 2018 4th round pick if 1st is in 2019)

1 hour ago, Sundstrom17 said:

Ben Kuzma also thinks picking up Spezza would be good for Pettersson’s development. Dallas has enough centers so Spezza is expendable. We could probably flip him at the trade deadline for picks which would be a bonus too. 

I don’t think we would need to give up Baer and I don’t think they’d want Hutt. We will still need Baer for pts. 

So I propose

Dallas: Granlund and 2018 5th 

round pick

Van: Spezza and 2018 1st round pick ((top 3 protected) & additional 2018 4th round pick if 1st is in 2019)

Can't see them trading this year's 1st round pick. The draft is in Dallas. I would target next year's 1st as it will be in Vancouver and would be excellent for us to get 2 1sts. With that said they won't trade one year of Spezza for a 1st rounder. They will have Lehtonen's 5.9 million off the books next year, so they will have plenty of cap space unless they want to make a big splash during free agency. They could use a backup, so perhaps Nilsson would have some value to them if we would like to bring up Demko this year.

I would be fine trading for Spezza and only gaining their 2nd rounder this year, and then if Spezza has a decent year, flip him for more assets. Having an extra 2nd could help us facilitate moving up from our early 2nd to a late 1st if there is a target player there.

Spezza has a NTC and won't waive it to come here.  I also think Dallas wouldn't part with any real good asset just to save one year of his contract.  If he had 3-4 years, then definitely, but why trade a good asset just to save cap space for one year, especially when Lehtonens salary is already opening up?  I could see them giving up a second rounder at most, if Spezza is willing to waive his NTC

6 minutes ago, underrated said:

Spezza has a NTC and won't waive it to come here.  I also think Dallas wouldn't part with any real good asset just to save one year of his contract.  If he had 3-4 years, then definitely, but why trade a good asset just to save cap space for one year, especially when Lehtonens salary is already opening up?  I could see them giving up a second rounder at most, if Spezza is willing to waive his NTC

I think he would wave playing minimal 3rd line minutes to play 2nd line minutes with Pettersson on his line.

45 minutes ago, underrated said:

It's a modified NTC, we could be one of his 10 teams on his no trade list, but if he were smart, he would see how we handled Vanek and even Jokinen and how decent they have looked on our team. With that in mind, Spezza should see this as an opportunity with the Sedins retiring which opens up a scoring center role and possibly top PP unit. The Canucks have the cap to retain in any deal to a real contender. So if his goal is to win a Cup, this may be the best way to do so especially if Dallas no longer wants him. A 50-60 point Spezza (center) at 50% retained would be quite valuable come deadline time, so this is beneficial for us as much as it is for Spezza. For me personally, I'll be glad to take the 2nd for Spezza because more could be potentially had for him later on and if not, then it's only a one year problem.

Dallas could probably just do the same since they have the cap space, but if they are trading him, I imagine they want the space to make some big signings (Tavares? Carlson?)

15 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It's a modified NTC, we could be one of his 10 teams on his no trade list, but if he were smart, he would see how we handled Vanek and even Jokinen and how decent they have looked on our team. With that in mind, Spezza should see this as an opportunity with the Sedins retiring which opens up a scoring center role and possibly top PP unit. The Canucks have the cap to retain in any deal to a real contender. So if his goal is to win a Cup, this may be the best way to do so especially if Dallas no longer wants him. A 50-60 point Spezza (center) at 50% retained would be quite valuable come deadline time, so this is beneficial for us as much as it is for Spezza. For me personally, I'll be glad to take the 2nd for Spezza because more could be potentially had for him later on and if not, then it's only a one year problem.

Dallas could probably just do the same since they have the cap space, but if they are trading him, I imagine they want the space to make some big signings (Tavares? Carlson?)

I'd also take the second rounder for Spezza, but I really think we'd be one of those 10 teams.  To accept a trade here, with a hope of being traded again mid season to a contender is a lot of movement and a lot of variables.  I think he'd be better to try to get traded directly to a contender and have Dallas keep 50%.  Or similar to the Brassard trade, include a third team for cap purposes.  I'd be happy if the Canucks are that third team, I just don't see Spezza wanting to come here, nor do I see Dallas wanting to give up much to dump him.  Maybe he's interested in being a mentor and getting more playing time, but I'm not sure.  If Dallas offers us a second and Spezza (or ideally Honka and Spezza), I'd gladly take it.

Archived