The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks-Stars

3 minutes ago, underrated said:

I'd also take the second rounder for Spezza, but I really think we'd be one of those 10 teams.  To accept a trade here, with a hope of being traded again mid season to a contender is a lot of movement and a lot of variables.  I think he'd be better to try to get traded directly to a contender and have Dallas keep 50%.  Or similar to the Brassard trade, include a third team for cap purposes.  I'd be happy if the Canucks are that third team, I just don't see Spezza wanting to come here, nor do I see Dallas wanting to give up much to dump him.  Maybe he's interested in being a mentor and getting more playing time, but I'm not sure.  If Dallas offers us a second and Spezza (or ideally Honka and Spezza), I'd gladly take it.

It definitely is a lot of variables and it's understandable that we could one of the 10 teams. However he is also a pending UFA, so does he want to be underutilized in Dallas and possibly be out of the NHL or find a cheap contract to prove his worth again or does he want to come to a team that has the opportunity for him to succeed (offensive minutes from Hank retiring)? That's from Spezza's perspective, but from Dallas' perspective, they have lots of cap and would be in no rush to move him. The only incentive I can see is that maybe they want a backup and Nilsson is cheap and we may want to bring up Demko so it benefits us as well so maybe something can be worked out revolving around him and Spezza.

The owners from Dallas seems to have too much beef with us to make a reasonable deal though.

Archived