The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report - Calgary Flames relieve coaches of their duties

skategal

3 hours ago, skategal said:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-relieve-three-coaches-of-duties/c-298070934

Three coaches including Gulutzen have been relieved of duty.  

Is that their version of CDC? There are like next to zero recent posts about anything. No talk about upcoming prospects the direction of the team nada. Are we really that much more into hockey or are the Flames fans realizing that they are going to relocate? jk. Seriously tho not even talking about their coaches being fired. I trolled the prospects section the most recent one was on Fox from back when they were still ion the playoffs. I kind of feel bad cuz you go back a bit and all the talk is how he might join them this year. 

Skip to a more recent post where they talk about Donato signing so Fox should be leaving Harvard as well. Then the tweet about him staying and then a few comments about how he isn't that good anyway and they should trade him at the draft.

I guess we're pretty lucky all our guys signed when the Nucks wanted them to. Well, the ones that mattered. Can't blame Fox tho, would you rather stay at Harvard and chase tail while getting a free education or go to a team that has pretty much said were not going to burn a year of your ELC which seems to be the norm now. So basically wait till next season and then go to Stockton or go play at Harvard and probably have 30 teams interested in you. 

They also seem pretty bummed about taking Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith over Donato and Dvorak. Plus no picks till the 3rd round Man I feel a lot better about the direction of the Nucks. Sorry to go off topic just found it weird to see posts last visited in October. 

2 hours ago, Rounoush said:

I think everyone saw this coming. Calgary pulled a Toronto and drove a Semi right over a cliff.

"Nobody at the beginning of the season had the Flames outside the playoffs.  I had them as a contender."

- Andrew (Canuck-hater) Walker

:unsure:

They're getting themselves into Oilers territory -- some good young players, but then surrounded them with relative duds, prospects with poor/stalled development, and made questionable trades to sacrifice their future, while believing they were on the cusp of greatness.  They're going to be at a crossroads and need to decide whether to continue on believing they are nearing contention, or do a medium to full reset.

47 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Entering Calgary with its already stable core and excellent mobile and offensive defense would be a tonic to AV's palate.  I'd be very scared at what he could do with that team over time, but I would definitely enjoy him taking Edmonton on time after time.  Calgary isn't as bad as they showed this year, and with a good coach, which Gulutzan has never proven to be, I'd peg them as a strong bet to at least make the playoffs yearly.

I think they are worse then they showed. What we saw after the bye week imo is the true Flames squad. They have the most overrated D in hockey. TJ is a mess in his own zone as well as Dougie hell everyone but Hamonic suck in their own end imo. Hamilton can get points but he is soft as butter. MT is an overrated POS JH thinks hockey is only played on one side of the rink. Bennet... nuff said Sean Monahan Can't backcheck to save his life. Backland and Frolic I like Fox looks good but I think he bolts. Not much in the pantry and no picks and are at the top cap wise. Is Smith signed for next season? I like him but he's showing his age a bit. 

It looks like after just finishing a stretch of 7 out of 10 years of no playoffs, it might be time to shake things up and trade Gio, Dougie JH get some picks back and try a different approach.  I think the flames and the Habs need to blow it up right from the top. Like others have said I would love to know how Gully really feels about the players. Is it me or do they not all seem like douchebags Except Backlund and frolic? sorry if I'm spelling his name wrong..

They need Torts to come in and whip their asses. Now that would be a hoot.

Not the surprising that Gully lost his job over that season.

Gotta wonder if the Rags releasing AV is an opportunity Calgary is looking to capitalize on.

AV is a great possession coach - likes veteran groups - would probably like the pieces he'd have to work with in Calgary.  I love watching AV hockey - but part of my has trouble envisioning him behind the Flames bench for some reason.

19 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I think they are worse then they showed. What we saw after the bye week imo is the true Flames squad. They have the most overrated D in hockey. TJ is a mess in his own zone as well as Dougie hell everyone but Hamonic suck in their own end imo. Hamilton can get points but he is soft as butter. MT is an overrated POS JH thinks hockey is only played on one side of the rink. Bennet... nuff said Sean Monahan Can't backcheck to save his life. Backland and Frolic I like Fox looks good but I think he bolts. Not much in the pantry and no picks and are at the top cap wise. Is Smith signed for next season? I like him but he's showing his age a bit. 

It looks like after just finishing a stretch of 7 out of 10 years of no playoffs, it might be time to shake things up and trade Gio, Dougie JH get some picks back and try a different approach.  I think the flames and the Habs need to blow it up right from the top. Like others have said I would love to know how Gully really feels about the players. Is it me or do they not all seem like douchebags Except Backlund and frolic? sorry if I'm spelling his name wrong..

They need Torts to come in and whip their asses. Now that would be a hoot.

I don't know if they can play that card again.

That group already tolerated a ballbusting Bob Hartley - and seemed to tune him out after about one season.

Before him it was Sutter - and Keenan before that....

Maybe what they need is a modern coach lol.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Should be a wholesale change in their front office too.  Hamonic trade will bite them for years.  Seattle will get an NHL team before Calgary does at this rate.

so you are in fact confirming that calgary is not moving to seattle

that threat their management made was a bluff?

omg i'm crushed

:bigblush:

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you are in fact confirming that calgary is not moving to seattle

that threat their management made was a bluff?

omg i'm crushed

:bigblush:

its OK, a giant saddle makes no sense in Seattle 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not surprising. Alain Vigneault to Calgary?

calgary likely will want him

but i would not be surprised if calgary is actually the number 3 or 4 option for av

flames are in trouble and there is not much help coming

there are better team situations for av

Feel bad for Gully, he is the scape goat here.  Flames need some leadership in their room.  Smith (their goalie) and Tkachuk (who's 19) were the only two players willing to battle to win.  Flames season was over when Smith went down to injury,  Prior to the injury flames was sitting tied with wild for 7th in the conference, by the time he got back flames were 11th in the conference. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Will be interesting if their new coaching staff puts up with their POS and his play away from the puck.   Will also be interesting to see if the new staff insists that Monahan and JHockey backcheck.

JHockey as in small horserider? 

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

It looks like after just finishing a stretch of 7 out of 10 years of no playoffs, it might be time to shake things up and trade Gio, Dougie JH get some picks back and try a different approach.  I think the flames and the Habs need to blow it up right from the top.

Giordano will be 35 next season with 4 years left at nearly $7mil per.  Not likely to get much in return, although they'd get something for Dougie for a team that needs offense from the back end (please no, Canucks).  Just signed Backlund but they'll need him for veteran leadership.  Speculation is using Brodie to get a pick, but will he bring back anything more than a late first?  Not sure what they'll do, and so far Treliving like Chia hasn't shown a whole lot of aptitude the past couple off-seasons to inspire any confidence in reshaping the roster positively.

Archived