The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filling up gas in Jerry can

Apple Juice

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys fill up gas in a Jerry can at a gas station while filling up gas for your car and how to go about it safely? Also how what would be the ideal place to store the gas and safely fill up gas in my car when I need to fill up from the Jerry can?

Looking to purchase a Jerry can to save myself an extra trip or two to the gas station.

Any help would be much appreciated as Google and the internet can only tell you so much..

On 18/04/2018 at 9:36 PM, Apple Juice said:

Guess I posted in the wrong section if I wanted serious answers 

Off topic/general would get you just as much sass.

You said "safely".

When I was a kid, "safely" got you beat up. 

How to fill a jerry can "safely"- don't siphon it, (you always end up with some gas in your mouth) and make sure to wear a bright orange vest adorned with reflective tape while at the pump. Hope that helps. 

There are cans available that have an "environmental" spout.

kind of a locking no drip thing a ma jigger.  

Can also stuff a plastic bag in the cap when twisting the cap on to really lock it in and stop drips

dont overfill as the beginning of the next pour could be messy.

Kitty litter makes for good clean up as it absorbs liquids well obviously.

secure the can with a bungee or something when you're driving from the gas station.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, Apple Juice said:

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys fill up gas in a Jerry can at a gas station while filling up gas for your car and how to go about it safely? Also how what would be the ideal place to store the gas and safely fill up gas in my car when I need to fill up from the Jerry can?

Looking to purchase a Jerry can to save myself an extra trip or two to the gas station.

Any help would be much appreciated as Google and the internet can only tell you so much..

It's easy to fill your jerry can at the gas station. Just fill it like you would your gas tank.

I have a jerry can of gasoline for my lawn mower and to help get a fire going in the fire pit if needed.

If you plan to fill your car with it, ensure you have some rags around in case you spill. Also know the refill capacity of your car compared to the size of the jerry can.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Off topic/general would get you just as much sass.

You said "safely".

When I was a kid, "safely" got you beat up. 

How to fill a jerry can "safely"- don't siphon it, (you always end up with some gas in your mouth) and make sure to wear a bright orange vest adorned with reflective tape while at the pump. Hope that helps. 

the first round of JC'S  that wound up in the trunk of my gas guzzling 72 duster I got sum fire water in my mouth ,by the time I hit 19 naaa . but then I got I job ,didn't have ta do that late nite stuff........plus I wiped the duster out...

On 2018-04-18 at 9:36 PM, Apple Juice said:

Guess I posted in the wrong section if I wanted serious answers 

What are your concerns here, bud? 

I’m not 100% sure what your asking. But I’ll take a shot, you’re supposed to store it in a cool, dry location. Not inside your house or where people sleep(if it contains any combustible). Jerry cans are usually red for gas, yellow indicates diesel. If I have to mix gas and oil (please don’t tell me you don’t know what the purpose of this would be for) I put a couple of wraps of duct tape around a smaller red one. 

As for how i store mine? All my Gerry cans are kept in my shed, along with my ride on lawn mower, yard equipment and all that. It’s quite a ways from the house.

Hope I’ve got an answer that’s helpful in there?

Oh one other point I’m thinking... if this jerry can is for the purpose of just in case you run out of fuel... I’d keep it empty in your vehicle. I’d also recommend that you keep your gas tank around full rather than empty. If you consistently run your vehicle on less than 1/4 tank, it can be really hard on your fuel pump. And that bill can cost you up in the $1000 dollar range depending on what you drive.

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

I recently saw a sign at the gas station, saying to be sure to take the can out your truck bed and putting it on the ground, in case any static had built up.

That's a tough one to follow.

i confess I almost always leave the can in the truck bed.

No offense OP.  But how is this a thread?

Simply fill the Jerry can and store it in your shed.  Use it within a few months.

Fool proof.

Not sure what vehicle you have,  but my 2010 Ford mustang I have to use an adapter funnel that is stored by my spare tire in my trunk to get the fill spout open to pour the gas in.

s-l300.jpg

Wikopedia

History[edit]

The history of the jerrycan is notable because the German design was reverse engineered and subsequently copied, with minor modifications,[clarification needed] by the Allies during the Second World War. The name of the jerrycan refers to its German origins, Jerry being wartime slang for Germans.[3]

Archived