The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] UFA vs Draft vs Farm

Now that the team is done for the season, the time to rethink the strategy has to look for more depth to be able to tolerate injury. This favors more experienced players who have some idea of how demanding hockey is today.

The problem I see with UFA is the cost is rather high for short term gains. Better I believe in coaching the players to work harder and harder at things like passing the puck better etc.Of course more smashing each other into the boards is always fun.

I figure it may take 2-3 years for the 'nucks to firm up the team and make it a viable playoff contestant.... 

I'm not trying to be "that guy" about grammar and syntax, but your sentence structure is so baffling that I don't even know what your post is trying to achieve. Was there a question or a point somewhere in there?

I don't think there's an exact science to who will manage injuries better than others. Some veterans play a style that just gets them injured more often but if they take it down a level, they are no longer NHLers. I think the most important thing is proper conditioning. The Sedins have remained relatively healthy throughout their career and they are known for their conditioning. One might say their style of play that is slower allows them to stay healthy, but the amount of physical play they withstand, it's amazing they can play as much as they do.

I think I am responding to the main part of your topic.

We can rely on Tanev missing a good portion of the season due to injury. Gudbranson is another guy who seems to injure often. As far as the forwards, I'm not sure we really need anyone, as there seems to be plenty of players who would do fine. The problem is D.  Canucks were saying they would like to maybe sign a veteran UFA to centre the 2nd line, but why? They've already got a veteran C who plays in the Top 6. Gagner. Maybe they're not planning on keeping Gagner around?

There are a few good UFA Ds that will be available: Green, Carlson, Johnson, Emelin, Sustr, etc. What about getting Sbisa back?

Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Gagner - Pettersson - physical presence and speed with Jake, veteran leadership with Gagner

Leipsic - Gaudette - Granlund

Archibald - Sutter - Eriksson

Goldobin

Gaunce

Motte

Edler - Green

Del Zotto - Sustr

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Stecher

Juolevi

Trade: Baertschi, Tanev and Hutton

4 hours ago, Vegan said:

Now that the team is done for the season, the time to rethink the strategy has to look for more depth to be able to tolerate injury. This favors more experienced players who have some idea of how demanding hockey is today.

The problem I see with UFA is the cost is rather high for short term gains. Better I believe in coaching the players to work harder and harder at things like passing the puck better etc.Of course more smashing each other into the boards is always fun.

I figure it may take 2-3 years for the 'nucks to firm up the team and make it a viable playoff contestant.... 

UFAs generally cost more on a cap basis than other means.  However, the tradeoff is that you don't have to give up any assets for them.  

Take Tavares, as an example.  He'll make over 10 million and probably upwards of 12 million on the open market.  That's McDavid money, and he's not McDavid amazing.  But he IS really, really good, and the price a team would pay to acquire a guy through trade would be exceptionally high, and I'd sooner overpay him by a couple of million if he actually wanted to come here than to give up those kinds of assets.  

Naturally, drafting your top players is ideal.  But that takes time, and is always a crap shoot anyway.  With a guy like Tavares, you have an instant elite 1st line injection into your lineup.  And they don't always have to be short term gains; wherever Tavares signs, you better believe it will be a multi year contract.

I'd say Canucks contend for the cup in 2-3 years... not just make the playoffs.  Next year might hurt a bit, but regardless of whether it does or not the following year I can all but guarantee we are a playoff team.

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Gagner - Pettersson - physical presence and speed with Jake, veteran leadership with Gagner

Leipsic - Gaudette - Granlund

Archibald - Sutter - Eriksson

Goldobin

Gaunce

Motte

Edler - Green

Del Zotto - Sustr

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Stecher

Juolevi

Trade: Baertschi, Tanev and Hutton

For D I do like Sustr but would also like to see perhaps someone like De Haan for a left D option. For C I know maybe a little long in the tooth but someone Like Stastny would be a nice option for a 2 yr contract. Give the younger C's some time to adjust.

Archived