The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PDF: (P1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (P3) San Jose Sharks | Golden Knights win series 4-2

2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Sharks in 4
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2018 at 12:00 AM

Picked it in my pool. Sticking with it. San Jose over Vegas in round 2.  Could be over quick it will depend on how vegas respond to adversity.    They were not exactly tested vs LA lol.  They were just clearly the better team.  Could see this end in 5.

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Picked it in my pool. Sticking with it. San Jose over Vegas in round 2.  Could be over quick it will depend on how vegas respond to adversity.    They were not exactly tested vs LA lol.  They were just clearly the better team.  Could see this end in 5.

All 4 games were 1 goal games and they were outshot in 3 of 4 games. Games 3 and 4 saw long stretches of play in Vegas’ end including game 4’s 9-3 shot difference in favour of LA In the first half of the 1st period. 

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

All 4 games were 1 goal games and they were outshot in 3 of 4 games. Games 3 and 4 saw long stretches of play in Vegas’ end including game 4’s 9-3 shot difference in favour of LA In the first half of the 1st period. 

Yeah. LA looked bad and Vegas barely got through them. One could argue it was Vegas making them look bad but let's face it.. they were lucky to make it in the playoffs this year. The only reason they got in was because our division stunk.

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah. LA looked bad and Vegas barely got through them. One could argue it was Vegas making them look bad but let's face it.. they were lucky to make it in the playoffs this year. The only reason they got in was because our division stunk.

This is a good situation for us though. If we have a decent season we can make the post season. Next year I see sharks, Golden Knights, Oilers, and us competing for our division.  In that order.

Ducks look really slow and old. Kings lack depth and speed.  Maybe the king's can flip a Carter for some younger pieces or move a Pearson or Toffoli for a top 4 man. But man those teams are in it tough. 

Calgary who knows. Arizona?? I'm not sold on them quite yet.  If they get Dahlin maybe.  If our kids can have the impact some think is possible maybe we can get in and battle for a round or two.

If Pettersson can have a rookie season like McKinnon did around the 60 point mark we might be in business. Lots to watch over the off season.  SHL finals, draft lottery, world championships (Horvat is a lock.  Pettersson & Juolevi are both considerations)

59 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Stop talking nonsense.  

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VEG/head2head.html

Pay specific attention to the record vs the sharks.

I picked Vegas but I have to give some credit to San Jose for maintaining a competitive team for such a long period of time.

Everyone is saying San Jose will suck soon but with Thornton's role diminishing, more minutes will be given to Hertl and Meier and they are good enough to fill the void.

Pavelski and Burns are 33 years and can be good for couple more years. Couture and Vlasic are still in his prime. They added Kane who is fitting in real well. It would be stupid for them to not re-sign him at this point.

SJS actually has a pretty good age gap between their players:

Pavelski, Burns

Couture, Vlasic

Jones, Kane

Hertl, Meier, Tierney

They also have very good set of supporting cast beyond the players listed above.

Problem will come in about 3 years when Pavelski and Burns won't be as good but they have enough time to try and address that. I think Doug Wilson has done a very good job as the GM of the Sharks and he will find ways to keep the Sharks competing.

On 20/04/2018 at 3:08 PM, Rush17 said:

This is a good situation for us though. If we have a decent season we can make the post season. Next year I see sharks, Golden Knights, Oilers, and us competing for our division.  In that order.

Ducks look really slow and old. Kings lack depth and speed.  Maybe the king's can flip a Carter for some younger pieces or move a Pearson or Toffoli for a top 4 man. But man those teams are in it tough. 

Calgary who knows. Arizona?? I'm not sold on them quite yet.  If they get Dahlin maybe.  If our kids can have the impact some think is possible maybe we can get in and battle for a round or two.

If Pettersson can have a rookie season like McKinnon did around the 60 point mark we might be in business. Lots to watch over the off season.  SHL finals, draft lottery, world championships (Horvat is a lock.  Pettersson & Juolevi are both considerations)

Next year huh? Not if our defence is revamped. I think with Marky in net and subpar defence, I don't see us competing for the division. Seriously, only Edler and Tanev are top 4 defencemen.

Well I guess it will be possible if EP gets 80 points, Dahlen gets 60 points, Boeser scores 40+ goals, Horvat gets 30 goals, Baer gets 25 goals, Eriksson returns to near 30 goals, Virt gets 20, Granny 15 goals, etc etc,  Oh and Rasmus Dahlin gets 50 points.

But yeah, our division is getting weaker and weaker.

-Ducks are fading.

-LA is fading.

-Arizona should be on the rise but with that management team and shaky ownership commitment and etc, who knows what will happen to them?

-Edmonton's management is again the question mark. Will they make the right moves? If so, they will be good.

-Calgary stopped rebuilding too soon. They were on their way to becoming a very good team, but they wanted to take a shortcut, traded too many high draft picks.

-Vegas may continue to be good but it's anyone's guess what they will look like in a couple of years.

-Sharks will be competitive but they lack superstar caliber talent in their system.

I think we have a good chance to reach at least the conference finals in a few season as long as our defence gets revamped. 

Archived