The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ryan Miller for Anders Nilsson

Nilsson is a very good AHL goaltender.

Okay NHL backup... pretty sure Thatcher takes that role next year though.

Anders is more athletic than most tweener goalies, and he has the size, so it's difficult to completely write him off. He just doesn't have the X-factor.

Marky doesn't really have it either, but he's a lot closer than Anders.

7 hours ago, nergish said:

Nilsson is a very good AHL goaltender.

Okay NHL backup... pretty sure Thatcher takes that role next year though.

Anders is more athletic than most tweener goalies, and he has the size, so it's difficult to completely write him off. He just doesn't have the X-factor.

Marky doesn't really have it either, but he's a lot closer than Anders.

If by "X-factor", you mean a strong team defense in front of him, then yes, neither Nilsson or Markstrom has that right now.

I'm not totally into the fancy goalie stats (involving high-danger scoring chances, etc.), but I heard (from Kevin Woodley, I think) last season Markstrom was ~14th in the league - right behind Connor Hellebuyck.

14 hours ago, apollo said:

Real simple. Bring Ryan back. The ducks clearly don't respect him... He shoulda got 60 games this season + all playoff games. 

John Gibson couldn't win a single game for them... Yet they stuck with him? Over Ryan? 

Ryan can't be happy... We saw his face in the handshake line up. 

Anders just hasn't worked out well in Vancouver. But he had incredible stats vs buffalo and is younger with some upside so Anaheim agrees 

So I say we do the trade straight up 

To VAN: Ryan Miller 

To ANA: Anders Nilsson 

Win win. Thoughts? 

Ride Miller 40ish games, Marky 40ish 2018-2018... Potential cup tandem. 

Ryan Miller's wife says no.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

If by "X-factor", you mean a strong team defense in front of him, then yes, neither Nilsson or Markstrom has that right now.

I'm not totally into the fancy goalie stats (involving high-danger scoring chances, etc.), but I heard (from Kevin Woodley, I think) last season Markstrom was ~14th in the league - right behind Connor Hellebuyck.

Well, a good team can a prop a mediocre goaltender up, and a bad goaltender can drag a good team down...

But X-factor for me is a combination of professionalism, ability, sportsmanship, being a great teammate, passion for the game/being the best, mental toughness to forgot a bad play/move forward, and a stabilizing demeanour in net. Only Demko has those all of those traits checked off right now, but that's based on minor league play.

I like Markstrom. He's an NHL goaltender. He just can't be our only answer in net.

I could very realistically see him staying in Van for the rest of his career.... 1a for the next two years, 1b for the two after, and a happy-go-lucky backup to finish up his career.

Nilsson is a tweener. Bit of a robot on and off the ice.

7 minutes ago, nergish said:

Nilsson is a tweener. Bit of a robot on and off the ice.

Nilsson is an enigma. He's either really good, or really bad. He had 2 shutouts, and yet only had a .901 save%. The only goalie in the league who had at least 2 SO but had a worse save% was Craig Anderson (.898).

Because of this, next year I would feed him to the wolves. Rather than giving Markstrom the harder games, and serving up softies for Nilsson, I suggest the opposite. Give Nilsson the games you don't expect to win (3rd game in 4 nights, games against the top teams, etc.). Once in a while, everything will click for him, and he may steal one. If not, well, we probably weren't going to win anyway.

Archived