The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Lukas Jasek

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Dahlen was drafted in 2016. You can pretty much group him into that class considering what we gave up for him.

That definitely makes that group look stronger. So say Juolevi, Dahlen, and Lockwood become players for us, that's not a bad class.

Well ya if you count guys you trade for then yes.I typically look at who we draft and who we trade for in different categories.

Even taking into account Dahlen it may not turn out that well. Juolevi isn't looking like the top pairing D he was meant to be so far, I recognize he could be, but theres a good chance he's not. Lockwood's game may not translate to the pros so I wouldn't count on him making the NHL. But he has the potential.

Out of Bennings draft classes its by far the worst. Still better then any Gillis ones, but still lol

55 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well ya if you count guys you trade for then yes.I typically look at who we draft and who we trade for in different categories.

I prefer to look at the draft classes as a whole whether drafted or traded for. Especially since we traded away certain picks that were recouped later in the form of prospects.

Does it really matter if we traded for Dahlen or drafted him? I mean good scouting is good scouting. He's the same age as every other player taken in 2016 and almost all of his development will be overseen by the Canucks.

Much like Goldobin replaces the loss of McCann, Dahlen will make up for our lost pick in 2016. This is an area Benning has been very calculating. 

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Even taking into account Dahlen it may not turn out that well. Juolevi isn't looking like the top pairing D he was meant to be so far, I recognize he could be, but theres a good chance he's not. Lockwood's game may not translate to the pros so I wouldn't count on him making the NHL. But he has the potential.

Out of Bennings draft classes its by far the worst. Still better then any Gillis ones, but still lol

Umm, yeah, actually he is kind of is looking like he has top pairing potential. He had a pretty great year overall in Finland this season. This attitude some people on here have about Juolevi is getting rather pathetic.

Better Jasek than Bozak.

Really happy with how this kid has come along.  Great start in Utica.   What is encouraging is it sounds like his game is very tough along the boards and goes to the net.  A good addition to a not particularly tough group of wingers we have.  Hope he can turn into our next Burrows/Hansen type player.   

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

2015 isn't looking so bad now but 2016 doesn't provide much to be happy about. Juolevi (will be NHLer but will he be top pairing?), Lockwood (injury prone, may make it, maybe not), Candella not looking good, Stukel/Abols look like complete busts and McKenzie may or may not be signed.

All in all the 2015 is demolishing the 2016 class, but 2017 is standing above both of them combined.

Candella might still surprise you. You don't hear his name much, but when you do it's all good.

His coach and OHL observers list him as an NHL body, NHL level skater, NHL level IQ. He has been hidden within a weak team, playing defence first. His stats don't jump off the page, but he should remain in the Canuck system. I hope he is at least offered an AHL contract.

As for Lukas Jasek, here are his contract details as per CapFriendly....

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/lukas-jasek

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I prefer to look at the draft classes as a whole whether drafted or traded for. Especially since we traded away certain picks that were recouped later in the form of prospects.

Does it really matter if we traded for Dahlen or drafted him? I mean good scouting is good scouting. He's the same age as every other player taken in 2016 and almost all of his development will be overseen by the Canucks.

Much like Goldobin replaces the loss of McCann, Dahlen will make up for our lost pick in 2016. This is an area Benning has been very calculating. 

I think in the draft, one can be more rigorous in screening for the attributes that you like in a player just because you're picking from several hundred candidates.  Whereas trades are more opportunity based.

Goldobin for example has high skill and a good shot which Benning likes but he is not really hard to play against.  This is being learned and they're trying to mold him into this player.  

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

And they should Rob

I have read that a lot of teams have 3 or 4 goalies on the stove all the time.......

Shouldn't we take a goalie every year? Every second year?....that this as a question......

Thanks

Every second year is a sound strategy.

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

A highly intelligent winger that has the ability to produce strong numbers due to his intense style of play. Tenacity and athleticism are well-represented by his slashing style of skating, cutting hard to the net and being able to hold onto the puck for that extra second. Creativity and offensive instincts are coveted assets that Jasek possesses; he exhibits exceptional vision and a sharp, accurate shot. He will need to get stronger to be able to adapt to the harsher physical conditions of the North American game. All-in-all, a speedy offensive predator that looks to impact all aspects of the game, creating energy in waves. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

This write up from Eliteprospects is very complimentary from a couple of years ago.  He's now 184.  The best attrubute is his hockey sense.  The thing you cannot teach.  That and JB's faves good shot and tenacity.

I had honestly written him off.  Didn't know that he was being held to a contract by his Czech club.  Welcome and good luck.

..and he plays "hungry".  That is an absolute must to be successful in the NHL.  It really separates the average from the impactful in all areas of the game.

He was an interesting pick at the time, given he was in his first year of draft eligibility playing in a mens league. He was ranked 23rd for international skaters in his draft year, so expected to be a late 3rd round pick and we snagged him 6th round. 

Unfortunately the following two seasons were brutal before at least putting some points up on the board this year albeit underwhelming. Very happy and quite frankly surprised at his AHL performance thus far. Expected him to go the way of Mats Froshaug and disappear into oblivion. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why does it not work for the Coyotes?

Good question. Who knows. Been to a game in Phoenix and San Jose. Las Vegas and San Jose have really really good fans. Coyote fans were just kind of meh. Gotta think team success has a lot to do with it. Final judgement will come when Vegas ultimately runs into the usual roadblocks. Bad contracts, aging underperforming players, bad drafting, etc. Will fans come out when they are losers? Wait and see I suppose. Quite a show for now.

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I've actually really liked the Canucks patient approach to developing talent over in Europe.

Old regimes might have rushed these guys over to the farm before they were physically or mentally ready.

We gotta remember how young these guys are. Letting them develop for another year or two at home in a familiar environment can often be more beneficial. 

I seem to remember at the 2017 draft Benning saying something like, "and we can leave him (Palmu?) over in Europe for a couple years".

I took this to mean that our prospect pipeline is reaching capacity and so are our traditional farm teams.

They are considering where draft eligible players can get proper development even before they draft them. 

Really like the way TL and JB have rebuilt this team, stoked at everything as it continues to unfold; Dahlen's success last week and Pettersson's this week is outstanding.

Congrats to Jasek on his contract; Go Comets Go!

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I seem to remember at the 2017 draft Benning saying something like, "and we can leave him (Palmu?) over in Europe for a couple years".

That was actually Gunnarsson, but still applies.  We are in no rush, we can "stash" them overseas to develop, leaving room in Utica for others.

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Keep an eye on the “Prospects/ In The System” Thread.  

There are usually weekly updates from posters here, or news followers giving decent information on all of the young players we have drafted, signed, playing in our system , or other leagues in the World.

As Jasek was drafted by Canucks, there is much information about him that you can catch up on him there.

He recently arrived in Utica with the Comets from his European Team and in a short time has impressed the entire organization.

Sounds like some great scouting by Benning and his Scouts.

ps. Dont be put off by some of the heckling.  This site is more in tune than many others.. keep your humour :) 

By the way, love your avatar. Are u a Clint fan? I grew up watching the Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

Archived